UKC

Robin Smith

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Calder 25 Jul 2007
I finished reading High Endeavours for the 2nd time last night, and as I reached for the light switch I noticed that it was in fact the anniversary of Robin Smiths death - the 45th (he died 24th July 1962) for the record.

I consider him worthy of a mention on here:

The stories - particularly those written by himself - about his climbs and adventures are incredible, and genuinely awe inspiring. And that he was considered by the age of 23 to have been the best SMC mountaineer of his generation, and quite possibly ever, says quite a lot about his ability.

I know I'm relatively new to this climbing/mountaineering game, but I'm pretty confident that during the times when other sources of motivation and inspiration start to wane I'll be able to pick this book up and read one of his articles to suitably enthuse me again.

To the point... Basically, just post your thoughts about him and his routes (I'm nowhere near good enough to have tried any... yet!).
 martin riddell 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:

Aye, great book, inspirational guy, and a great guy by all accounts.

Geoffrey Michaels 25 Jul 2007
In reply to martin riddell:

Good book, better climber. His enthusiasm and lack of fear actually scared me (!). The book itself I found a bit dull at times but to read after having climbed on the Ben etc put some flesh on the bones...
 Norrie Muir 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:

Yes, Smith was something else, he was head and shoulders above his generation. The legacy of his routes has lasted the test of time. It was extraordinary that a Smith Route is usually the best line on the crag and at the time also the hardest one. I am fortunate that I have done most of Smith’s routes and have not been disappointed with any of them.

I found the book disappointing, but that maybe because I had heard so much about him from people who knew him.

It is sad about his passing, but his legacy will live for ever.

Null 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Calder)
>
> Yes, Smith was something else

Where was Smith from originally?
I tried Google but couldn't find this detail

Slugain Howff 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Gavin Taylor:

Born in India and sent back to school in Scotland Perthshire and Edinburgh) if I recall correctly.
Slugain Howff 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Gavin Taylor:

A bit more here if you are interested.

http://heritage.scotsman.com/greatscots.cfm?id=2256322005
 Null 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Slugain Howff:
> (In reply to Gavin Taylor)
>
> A bit more here if you are interested.

That's great - thanks.

So he was a "colonial" Scot, like me. A vanishing breed.
(However, I was educated abroad and I'm certainly not known for being "fearless".)
 jazzyjackson 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:

amazing guy and a great book.

I reckon he got dragged off that mountain in the Pamirs by Wilfred. I just feel his cat like reactions would never have allowed such a slip. Will never know.

Roping together is evil and has taken many great Alpinists from us.

srnet 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:

Yep, good book.

The front cover would make agood poster, anyone know if its for sale ?
 stonewall 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:

sadly the book does not do justice to the man. I was at watsons college in the mid 70s and he was still being talked about. Like many who die young, he left an aura of mystery and charisma. a great tragedy.
 tony 25 Jul 2007
In reply to stonewall:
> (In reply to Calder)
>
> sadly the book does not do justice to the man. I was at watsons college in the mid 70s and he was still being talked about.

So was I - left in 77. I remember Archie Hendry - one of Smith's mentors - as being something of a dragon in class, but he comes out as a thoroughly decent chap in the book.
 nastyned 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder: My dad climbed with him.
 220bpm 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:

I've got the book on the bedside table ready to start.

Looking forward to getting stuck in
 stonewall 25 Jul 2007
In reply to tony:

papa hendry !
what I loved about that school is that they got us out climbing in the mountains. I wonder if health and safety allows the same degree of adventure now. doubt it.
 stonewall 25 Jul 2007
In reply to nastyned:

what does he say about him ?
 Al Evans 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder: Try and catch Jim Currans film of a recreation of the first ascent of 'The Bat' with Rab Carrington playing Smith.
OP Calder 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Done a quick gooogle with no success - where can I catch this film (other than Fort Bill Mountain Festival)?

I'd definitely like to see it.

Ta.
 tony 25 Jul 2007
In reply to stonewall:
> (In reply to tony)
>
> papa hendry !
> what I loved about that school is that they got us out climbing in the mountains. I wonder if health and safety allows the same degree of adventure now. doubt it.

Aye, I had a fortnight in the Lake District with Norseman and one of the biology teachers - excellent stuff. I'm pretty sure they do still do 3rd Year projects.
 tony 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Done a quick gooogle with no success - where can I catch this film (other than Fort Bill Mountain Festival)?
>
> I'd definitely like to see it.

Needlesports list it, quite a long way down this page:
http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_DVDs_104.html
Geoffrey Michaels 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:

If you send me a jiffy bag I will copy it for you. Email me. Only joking, I'd never do such a thing.
 Al Evans 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder: Google Jim Curran, he has a blog site, I think you can get it from him.

The Bat

Directed, Produced and Copyright by Jim Curran and Tony Riley.

It has been 25 years since we screened The Bat in a local church, as part of the first Kendal Mountain Film Festival. The Film won the first Kendal Grand Prize. One of the best climbing films ever, it recreates Dougal Haston and in Smith’s ascent of their fabulous route The Bat on Ben Nevis, while the narration comes from Smith’s lyrical story “The Bat and the Wicked” to tell the tale. The climb was a riposte to Brown and Whillans’ Sassernach and proved that Scottish climbing had equal stars.

Al Evans 25 Jul 2007
In reply to tony: Yes, I forgot, Needle Sports do advertise it for sale.
Removed User 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:

Superb climber, superb book. He was a true intellectual, a rebel, a rule-breaker in the best traditions. His loss at such an early age for one so gifted is tragic.
He would have been one of, if not the best climber of his generation.
In reply to Calder:

I think Robin Smith was amazing and truly inspirational. Sometimes, when I'm in places I know he knew, like walking past the halfway lochan or looking up at one of his climbs I think about him.... being in that place once long ago and seeing what I'm seeing. It's haunting. I wish I could think of some proper tribute to pay him.
OP Calder 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell:
> (In reply to Calder)
>
> ...I wish I could think of some proper tribute to pay him.

I feel that - a poxy thread on UKC just doesn't do him justice does it!

SFM 26 Jul 2007
In reply to srnet:

> The front cover would make agood poster, anyone know if its for sale ?

I looked into this before and as far as I know it's Jimmy Marshall's photie. I don't really know him so felt a wee bit awkward contacting him to try to get a copy. You'd need to give him a shout.

SFM 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell:

What sort ideas do you have in mind?
I was out with Jimmy Cruickshanks on Sunday and I'm sure he'd love to do more to cement the achievements of his old pal in the public memory.
 Norrie Muir 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:
> (In reply to Alison Stockwell)

> I feel that - a poxy thread on UKC just doesn't do him justice does it!

The best thing to do is climb his routes.
 Mick Ward 26 Jul 2007
In reply to jazzyjackson:
> (In reply to Calder)

> I reckon he got dragged off that mountain in the Pamirs by Wilfred. I just feel his cat like reactions would never have allowed such a slip. Will never know.

Isn't there a bit in Brown's book where he describes climbing with Smith, who goes flying head over heels down some gully and staggers out of a snowdrift suitably abashed? (Or is my memory awry?) As you say, we'll never know.

Mick
 Mick Ward 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

> It has been 25 years since we screened The Bat in a local church, as part of the first Kendal Mountain Film Festival.

Yep, a great screening. A pisshead mate of mine lobbed something (harmless) over the balcony. It bounced off Rab, who glared upward. The 'congregation' quailed.

Mick
 stonewall 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:

well said
Big Steve at work 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:
Im sure he was a great climber, but the book is utter rubbish. Its probably the most boring, badly written example of this genre.
 JDal 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Big Steve at work: Did you read that John Cunningham book. Creag Dubh Climber? I didn't think much to it and if this is the same standard I won't be bothering.

Norries suggestion would be a good challenge, anyone got a list of his routes (incl winter)?
 Norrie Muir 26 Jul 2007
In reply to JDal:
>
anyone got a list of his routes (incl winter)?

There is a complete list in the book.
 SFM 26 Jul 2007
In reply to JDal:

>
> Norries suggestion would be a good challenge, anyone got a list of his routes (incl winter)?

they're in the book....
Removed User 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:

FWIW, I found the book absolute bo****cks, very nearly the hardest thing I've had to read. This does not reflect my admiration for Robin Smith.
 JdotP 26 Jul 2007
I think the book is an unusual read for a climbing biography because it is discussing an unusually short life... So you can't really compare it that well to other books.
 JDal 26 Jul 2007
In reply to SFM:
> they're in the book....

Well that's that knackered then. Not that I'm up to the task in any case, I don't like winter.
 Cam Forrest 26 Jul 2007
In reply to JDal: I am I not correct in remembering, John, that you did the first free ascent of The Bat with Dave Jenkins, according to Ian Nicolson at the time? I'm not sure you quite intended to, mind.
Removed User 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Calder)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> The best thing to do is climb his routes.

You took the words out of my mouth.
OP Calder 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Removed User:

I have every intention of doing - but I fall way below the required standard at the mo, so it'll have to wait.

Norrie Muir 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Cam Forrest:
> (In reply to JDal) I am I not correct in remembering, John, that you did the first free ascent of The Bat with Dave Jenkins, according to Ian Nicolson at the time? I'm not sure you quite intended to, mind.

Did Ian know about the free ascents done prior to 1965?
 JDal 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Cam Forrest: That's what Dave told me, I've no idea of the reality though. Who knows, E2 5b? There were a lot of British climbers operating at that grade at the time. I do remember finding it bloody scary though. God knows what it felt like,even with the points of aid, as a FA.
 Norrie Muir 26 Jul 2007
In reply to JDal:

When I was climbing in Wales in 1970 I got talking to a fellow climber, when I said “There is no steep rock in Scotland.” as a throw away line. He said “I found the Bat steep when I did it in 1965.”. As I had done it the previous year I enquired about how he had done the Bat, and he stated he had freed it.

Did you and Dave do the Bat in June 1970?
 JDal 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir: 69 I think, 70 was the year we chickened out of Torro. Then I went home to blighty.
 Cam Forrest 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir: I 'think' the story is that you and Ian Nicolson were on King Kong at the same time, and Ian shouted across to Dave when John emerged at the top of the corner. But memories can play tricks...
 Mick Ward 26 Jul 2007
In reply to Calder:

Steve Dean did a great article on Robin Smith, which I assume was published in High a few years ago. Steve's other articles on deceased climbers such as Laurie Holliwell, John Syrett and Tony Wilmott are outstanding.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...