UKC

Best way to heat a winter hut?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 francoisecall 13 Oct 2007
Am planning to spend some time in winter huts which do not have stoves. Are there any devices, as light as possible of course, that could be rigged to provide heat? Lightweight solar panels? Gas systems?
 Wee Davie 13 Oct 2007
In reply to francoisecall:

Eat some spicy food and wait a few hours?

Davie
almost sane 13 Oct 2007
Candles provide a surprising amount of heat.
You would need to take a fair few, of course, but no more in weight terms than if you were taking in coal or wood for a stove.

After all, in candles everything burns.

Having 20 or more candles burning simultaneously will also transform the look of a winter hut.

Where are you thinking of going, by the way?
 Norrie Muir 13 Oct 2007

A Tilley Lamp is best for giving out light and heat, if there is no stove.

Don't take alcohol to warm yourself as it may slow you down in the morning.
 Jim Fraser 13 Oct 2007

Insulation is key to this. As for winter clothing, layers help: layers of construction and features such as an separeted roof-space. Even the few hundred watts given off by a couple of well-fed 'carbon-based ape-descended life-forms', and the candles as mentioned above, will make a significant difference in a small well-insulated space. Without insulation its pissing into the wind.

ruarigh 13 Oct 2007
In reply to francoisecall: A good sleeping bag. You can't heat a hut with candles.
 Matt Maynard 13 Oct 2007
In reply to francoisecall: A good woman
 Jim Fraser 13 Oct 2007
In reply to Matt Maynard:
> (In reply to francoisecall) A good woman

A bad one will work just as well.

In fact, a bad one may generate more heat.

mick taylor 14 Oct 2007
In reply to Jim Fraser:

A good imagination, fueled by plenty of cheese. And it weighs less.

Mick
 IanJackson 14 Oct 2007
In reply to francoisecall: A good sleeping Bag. Be Thankful your not biving?
OP francoisecall 14 Oct 2007
In reply to almost sane: Leschaux hut. Insulation is appalling. Plexiglass in the window, no double glazing like Swiss huts. This year the French Alpine Club will not leave the usual large bottles of gas, because they say that people never pay the 7 euros per night. They also complain that people use the gas to heat themselves. But would it have occured to them to put a stove in with a pile of wood? They should go out and about and see how other sections of the French Alpine Club as well as the Italian and Swiss Alpine Club manage to have a stove and wood. And in my opinion if the hut was nicer, maybe climbers would be more inclined to pay.
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Actually I would prefer a bad boy! Or even 2! Except that in my experience when you are cold, the last thing you want to do is take your clothes off! I spent once he night in a snow hole and my "warming up" strategy did not work out when we just huddled fully clothed in our sleeping bags.
ruarigh 14 Oct 2007
In reply to francoisecall: Leschaux hut has its rustic charms and is nice the way it is. The Chamonix Guides don't like it, a good reason to go there.
In reply to ruarigh: Have you stayed there in winter when people leave the door open and it is full of snow? When the roof leaks and the back is humid?
 Jim Fraser 15 Oct 2007
> (In reply to Jim Fraser)
>
> Actually I would prefer a bad boy! ....

Si stupide. Peut-etre je suis un mauvais garcon?
paraffin 15 Oct 2007
In reply to Jim Fraser:

>
> Si stupide. Peut-etre je suis un mauvais garcon?

C'est vrai ceci tu as dire. Mechant!

paraffin 15 Oct 2007

As for the Leschaux hut, set it alight. That will cure the damp and mould and keep you warm for at least a while.
 alasdair19 15 Oct 2007
In reply to francoisecall: i agree its a bit of a hole in winter/spring, same with most of the cham huts at that time it seems.

in cham 1-11 nov if your about?
mick taylor 15 Oct 2007
In reply to parafinn:

You could just set yourself on fire.

Mick
paraffin 15 Oct 2007
In reply to mick taylor:
> (In reply to parafinn)
>
> You could just set yourself on fire.
>
Yes, incendary by name, incendary by nature.

Off to Monetier 19 December, cant wait

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...