UKC

NEWS: Lucinda Hughes E7, Robins and McHaffie Master's Edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 29 Oct 2007
Lucinda Hughes has headpointed John Dunne's Deathwatch (E7 6b) at Ilkley in Yorkshire. This is Lucinda's second E7. Then on Friday, Pete Robbins and James McHaffie both climbed Master's Edge, E7 6c - possibly ground up

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 abarro81 29 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
i thought Tom B said Caf downclimbed from the crux (supposedly the moves into the shotholes)?
 Tom Briggs 29 Oct 2007
In reply to abarro81:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> i thought Tom B said Caf downclimbed from the crux (supposedly the moves into the shotholes)?

He downclimbed all the way to the ground.

BTW - Mick. Acording to Burbage, Millstone and Beyond Ryan Pasquill no-sighted flashed Master's Edge.
OP Michael Ryan 29 Oct 2007
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

Liam Halsey also?
 Tom Briggs 29 Oct 2007
> (In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor)
>
> Liam Halsey also?

Sorry, memory not serving me right. Liam Halsey it was.

Updated news report by Jack Geldard......with Photos

Oct 29: Pete Robins and James McHaffie: Masters Edge, E7 6c: Photos

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=10&year=2007#40839
 Jon Read 29 Oct 2007
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: I thought this was a mistake in the guide, as it was your mate Sellars that the big Grimes was thinking of (who ground-upped it, yes?). I think it was mentioned on here somewhere...

As usual, disclaimers apply.
banned profile 74 29 Oct 2007
In reply to abarro81:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> i thought Tom B said Caf downclimbed from the crux (supposedly the moves into the shotholes)?

thats still classed as ground up

since when has someone climbing masters edge thesedays been classed as news?it must have had 100's of repeats
In reply to beastofackworth:
> (In reply to abarro81)
> [...]

> since when has someone climbing masters edge thesedays been classed as news?it must have had 100's of repeats

You may want to take a look at the style Robins and McHaffie climbed Master's. Most headpoint Master's although there has been a handful now of ground-up attempts.

The number and the ascent takes on more significance with the style.

Further Robins and McHaffie are two of the most impressive climbers operating in the UK today and many are interested in what they are up to now - and especially what they are capable of in the future......ground upping E9, E10 maybe.

At least one E9 climber I talked to said that McHaffie is a long way from realising his potential, and in the best style possible.

As they say, watch this space. We have secret agents shadowing the dynamic duo.

Mick

Jon Read 29 Oct 2007
Found it:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=45736&v=1#606927

This thread suggests Liam fell off a few times, whilst attempting it ground-up. Guidebooks, like their human masters, can be wrong sometimes...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...