UKC

NEWS: Cheat at the Wall Using Slop Style, KneeBob Mungepants..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 25 Nov 2007
"Because I work 9,000 hours a week and — fattening with age — am increasingly cowed by real, outdoor rock climbing, I’ve become an unrepentant gymrat. But a wondrous thing has happened since sport climbing’s Dark Ages (the 1980s), when avant-garde course-setting consisted of slapping two one-finger pockets in a row....."

Learn how to cheat indoors this winter at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Moacs 25 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Wow. What is that language he's using? Is it derived from Anglo-Saxon?

J
 gingerkate 25 Nov 2007
In reply to Moacs:

I didn't know posting had a name. I wonder if it'll feel less clumsy now I know it has a name...

This bit:
"And most sneakily, you can also pop an impromptu heel-toe on larger grips by plunking your heel down and camming your toe directly against the wall."

Can someone expand on that ... I don't do it and I don't quite understand what he means. Is it effectively a way of getting an extra bit of lift into a smear?
 pictish 25 Nov 2007
In reply to gingerkate: I interpreted that as shoving yout toes behind a jug then dropping your heel so that the top of your toes cam against the wall. Given the incompehensible language it's written in, it could mean just about anything though.
 Niall 25 Nov 2007
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to John Lisle)
>
> I didn't know posting had a name. I wonder if it'll feel less clumsy now I know it has a name...

'Sketching', surely? And I was always told it was poor practice. Didn't stop me though
OP Michael Ryan 25 Nov 2007
In reply to pictish:
> (In reply to gingerkate) I interpreted that as shoving yout toes behind a jug then dropping your heel so that the top of your toes cam against the wall. Given the incompehensible language it's written in, it could mean just about anything though.

Matt is American and speaks in American, similar to a lot of boulderers in the UK.

OP Michael Ryan 25 Nov 2007
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to John Lisle)
>

> This bit:
> "And most sneakily, you can also pop an impromptu heel-toe on larger grips by plunking your heel down and camming your toe directly against the wall."

That's a heel-toe cam where your heel is backed against is a protrusion and is held in place by your toe which is also cammed against a protrusion. Think of it as an arm-bar for your feet.

It takes weight of your hands, fingers and arms.......this is also known as Jessery, coined many years by the UK's Nic Sellars. Jessery takes many forms but all decrease the amount of power you need in your arms to execute a move.

Nic finished with...."please use the prescribed sequence, " in essence no cheating using jessery to makes moves easier thatn they were originally done.

M
 craig d 25 Nov 2007

I thought Nick's term was faggotry
 Rob Naylor 25 Nov 2007

"WTF's a "halo 3 headshot honcho" when it's at home? And what's it got to do with climbing?
 gingerkate 25 Nov 2007
In reply to Niall:
Yeah, clumsy... but there again, we don't care do we, as long as it gets us up...

Oh, sketching? Is that what makes a move sketchy then? I've heard sketchy but not sketching.
 gingerkate 25 Nov 2007
In reply to pictish and John Lisle:

I don't think the language is incomprehensible? Everything that I already do, I know what he means ok.
 gingerkate 25 Nov 2007
> Think of it as an arm-bar for your feet.

Thanks, I think I understand what's meant now ... but that must either need a really whopping huge foothold or very flexible ankles? I am going to experiment and see if I can do one next time I climb...
OP Michael Ryan 26 Nov 2007
In reply to craig d:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> I thought Nick's term was faggotry

Nope....your memory deceives you. Perhaps you have a one track mind. No mention of fags, cigars, or smoking pipes, but yes there was mention of buts.

Jess - verb, to wimp the alternative, also known as acquired strength defiiciency syndrome....

and goes on to mention.....

Knee bars

Thoracic Locks

Buttock-Crack Cams

Goatee Sprags

Hand Jamming

Heel Toe Cams, Toe Hooks, Heel Hooks

and Clever Dick Sequences.....

Note: drop-knees are not a form of jessery as they involve no pain (whose he kidding)....

TOGETHER WE CAN CRACK IT, THROW OUT YOUR KNEE PADS TODAY.

Martin W 26 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: "...modern-day gym texture is awesome — tacky, like the rubber-loving iron rock at Hueco, say." He's obviously not climbed any of the panels on the right-hand side of the alcove at Alien Rock, then: slipperier than a very slippery thing that's been specially coated in slippery solution.

And what about: "On rock, the blank space between grips is often just that: blank." One of the things I like about climbing on rock is that you can make the little natural undulations and ripples that don't really look like holds in to something for your feet. I find that much more interesting than simply smearing up a sheet of ply that's been coated in Shellgrip.

Finally: WTF does "brau-holio" mean???
 seagull 26 Nov 2007

You don't get strong by cheating.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...