UKC

Sunglasses/Goggles for Alpine climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anon60521 21 Dec 2007
Hi I'm going to the alps for the first time next august and am not sure on a few things:

1)What "grade" of lense I need?

2)Also do most people use sunglasses or goggles?

I really appreciate any advice anyone could shed!
thanks everyone and merry xmas!
Jack

Lemony 21 Dec 2007
In reply to anon60521: Most people seem to use glacier specs (i.e. rounded ones with material at the sides and on the bridge of the nose) but what's important is that they don't let in much peripheral light so a well fitting pair of wraparounds are just as good. Go for ones that have UV protective lenses and are sturdy+ well fitting enough to survive a bit of a beating.
 Alex Roddie 21 Dec 2007
In reply to anon60521:
I use a pair of Wehrmacht-issue WWII glacier glasses!
 Caralynh 21 Dec 2007
In reply to anon60521:

Sunglasses, but carry goggles in my rocksack lid in case weather turns nasty
 Mr. Lee 21 Dec 2007
In reply to anon60521:

Get Cat 4 sunglasses. You can get away with 3s but I find it uncomfortable on the eyes after a period and wouldn't recommend them. Never bothered with goggles.
 billy.grant 21 Dec 2007
In reply to anon60521: category 4 lenses. I used normal oakleys for 3 weeks on my first trip out and ended up with itchy eyes some days which was not too pleasant.

its worth taking a pair of cheap goggles in your sack in case it gets seriously windy and blizzard like but i've only found this necessary at 4000m+.

in terms of brand I use julbos which are great. plenty of protection and they don't let to much wind through either although they do sometimes steam up over prolonged front pointing or serious exertion but clear up very quickly. they also look like a pair of normal sunglasses which makes all the difference when having a post climb beer. theyre not too pricy either and as far as i can tell, pretty tough.
 Lloydfletch 21 Dec 2007
In reply to anon60521: I had my first trip to the alps this summer, and used category 3 glasses and found them to be fine. Mine were a cheapy pair (bout 10 euros) from technique extreme in chamonix (they sell their own brand gear for very cheap). They didnt have the material on the side - they just managed to block most of the light out (though you can get the round ones or equally cheap). I only did rock routes, but some had snow involved (Dent du Geant), and i didnt have any eye-related problems.
 Mr. Lee 22 Dec 2007
In reply to Heddwyn: You need cat 4 lenses really if you plan to be on snow for extended periods. Reflection off the snow on bright, sunny days can be intense on the eyes (and skin).
 Lloydfletch 23 Dec 2007
In reply to Mr. Lee: Fair enough. Im not very experienced on snow, just managed to get away with cat 3s myself. They do also sell cheap cat 4s in technique extreme if ur after a bargain (not meaning to sound like an advert!).
Sam L 23 Dec 2007
In reply to anon60521: I use category 3 lenses-3 or 4 will be fine. By far the most important thing is to get some whichfit you really well-so there's no light getting in round the edges. Shop around and try on lots of pairs. Mine cost me 25quid, which isn't too bad. It might be a good idea to carry a spare pair between you and your partner. I wouldn't bother with goggles unless the weather is looking dodgy, or you're embarking on a long route so the weather could change easily. They're a waste of weight if you're not going to use them-they'll be too hot most of the time.
Sam
BorisB 23 Dec 2007
In reply to anon60521: Prob use cat 3 most of time but a good pair of photochromatic ones that are 3-4 would be good, Not used goggles much in Summer in Alps, they are a Scottish winter ting aye.
In reply to anon60521: cheap option- TKMAX - £5 sunglasses that go round the side of ure eyes, to stop glare. and some googles incase weather gets bad.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...