UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Mountain Photography by Jon Griffith

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 13 Mar 2008
I thought that I might try my hand at instilling a few ideas into any budding photographers out there, and probably learn a few things myself from the responses...

...One by one I started to work out how to make film speed, aperture, and shutter speed all work together so I could try and get the maximum out of every shot I took.

Writes Jon Griffith, Alpine photographer and UKC Gear Tester.

View the comprehensive article, with excellent photography: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=847
harlequinarcher 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: As a very amateur photographer trying to get away from the "auto" setting of my camera I thought this article was brilliant!! Easily understandable for the beginer so now I cant wait till 5 o'clock to leave my desk and go and play with my camera!!

Cheers!
 jongriffith 13 Mar 2008
In reply to harlequinarcher: Great thats really good news to hear as it was meant to be written in that 'manner'- which is so much easier said than done! Without stealing ukclimbing's readers, if you want to see the images in better detail so you can really see what i am talking about then the exact same article is on my website, but with higer res shots
good luck
 Chris F 13 Mar 2008
In reply to jongriffith: Nice article, but i don't think the hyperlinks where it says "click to see....." are working?
 jongriffith 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Chris F: as in the images at the bottom?
 DougG 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Very helpful article, that's the weekend's reading material sorted.

Thank you, Jon.
 Chris F 13 Mar 2008
In reply to jongriffith:
> (In reply to Chris F) as in the images at the bottom?

yes.

jongriffith 13 Mar 2008
In reply to Chris F: they work for me...odd that. Might just be our server playing up, its had a bit of downtime recenty. Thanks for the heads up
 CJD 13 Mar 2008
In reply to jongriffith:

ah - the whole 'section' containing all the photographers is a link, rather than the 'bio' being a link, the 'pics' being a link for each person.

good article
 DaveR 13 Mar 2008
In reply to harlequinarcher:

My thoughts exactly. Good article, cheers Jon.
 jongriffith 13 Mar 2008
In reply to DaveR: no worries. glad its of some help!
 biscuit 13 Mar 2008

Brilliant stuff.

I've been wanting to improve for a while and this is the kind of 'idoits guide to...' that should do it for me.

easily understandable and i can't wait to puit it to the test.

Thanks very much.
 francoisecall 14 Mar 2008

That is a great article. Well done Jon!
 galpinos 14 Mar 2008
In reply to jongriffith:

Well done, John, a good read.

Just one point, (I may have got this totally wrong but...) Clare's comment on the Apeture size, "little, big, little" has confused me. Is it not little big big , ie, little number, big aperture, lots of light?

(I'm not a photo buff so go easy)
 CJD 14 Mar 2008
In reply to galpinos:
> (In reply to jongriffith)
>
> Well done, John, a good read.
>
> Just one point, (I may have got this totally wrong but...) Clare's comment on the Apeture size, "little, big, little" has confused me. Is it not little big big , ie, little number, big aperture, lots of light?
>
> (I'm not a photo buff so go easy)

the way I think of it is little number, big aperture to *get* lots of light in when there's *little* light - little number for little light. To be fair I hadn't quite intended for the comment to be directly pasted (!) but I hope it makes sense - it's just what works for me.

galpinos 14 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD:

Ah, gotcha! It does make sense.

Thanks for replying.
 jongriffith 14 Mar 2008
In reply to galpinos and CJD: It was actually removed from the article yesteryday (refresh your browser) as I did think it might confuse some people. (sorry Clare!)
Glad you are enjoying it and am very happy that it is proving to be an 'easy' read as it's so easy to get carried away at times! Thanks for the comments
jon
 CJD 14 Mar 2008
In reply to jongriffith:

ah - I read through a couple of times and couldn't work out why I couldn't see it any more! Bless me... no worries, though, as I did say that it was something that worked for me but which might not for others.
 jongriffith 14 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD: indeed you did and thanks for the rest of the help.
jon
 francoisecall 14 Mar 2008
In reply to jongriffith: I would like to email your article to my son. How can I do it?
 Michael Ryan 14 Mar 2008
In reply to francoisecall:

Print it out as a pdf...and email the pdf.
 CJD 14 Mar 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

or rather, select 'print to PDF' from your printing options. Printing out the pdf means it's a paper copy

(sorry for the pedantry, it's just that I've been flummoxed by this in the past!)
 Michael Ryan 14 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD:

Still having a bad day?

http://www.adobe.com/products/pdfprintengine/

PDF's can be read on any computer and usually printed out without hassle, they can also be emailed.

If you go to Print on your browser, it's under File, you usually get the option not only to print to paper but to print as a pdf file. Once saved, send this pdf file as an attachment in an email.

The recipient then can print out that pdf or read it on screen.
 Michael Ryan 14 Mar 2008
In reply to francoisecall:
> (In reply to jongriffith) I would like to email your article to my son. How can I do it?

Or just send the link

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=847

CJD 14 Mar 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

yes, I know that - it was just that the way you originally phrased it wasn't particularly clear

my day's been quite good, thank you.
 Michael Ryan 14 Mar 2008
In reply to CJD:

Yours was crap too....even with the smiley faces.
 jongriffith 15 Mar 2008
In reply to francoisecall: As Mick says either the ukclimbing link or here has better quality photos http://www.alpineexposures.com/pages/mountain-landscape-climbing-photo-tips
And I have another couple that might be of interest here: http://www.alpineexposures.com/pages/articles

Enjoy!
Jon
 jas wood 21 Mar 2008
first rate article which is exactly what i needed to advance/ understand my photography and put in laymans terms was really easy to read.

thanks chaps
 Pauline 23 Mar 2008

excellent, I now understand what all the different bits do on my camera!...

next thing is working out what all the different things on the dial mean (p,s,a,m.)?! Urgh Does the S one only let you alter the shutter speed etc?

Jon Griffith 23 Mar 2008
In reply to Pauline:
A is aperature priority (ie you change the aperature with the dial and it will automatically alter the shutter speed)
S is shutter priority
M is fully manual so you can inout the shutter and aperature values that you want
P is for program which allows you to customise some features on your SLR. Basically you can pre-save ISO, RAW/JPEG settings etc so that you dont have to do it each time.

jon
 Dan Goodwin 10 Apr 2008

Great piece that really helped me understand the fundementals !

Quick question though on the settings of my digi camera it has 'metering' what is that ???
 Jon Griffith 11 Apr 2008
In reply to Dan Goodwin: Thanks Dan
Metering is quite easy to understand thankfully and is well explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metering_mode
jon

Apex Distribution 20 Apr 2008

Just read this Article, Awesome.

Jim
 Jon Griffith 21 Apr 2008
In reply to Apex Distribution: thanks, took a while!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...