UKC

a troubling postal moment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 04 Jun 2008
I think the royal mail have lost some photographs

They left Peak Imaging last Friday, they still haven't arrived with me.

I shall check with the sorting office tomorrow, but I'm suspecting they won't be with them. They're definitely pictures that can't be easily recreated, and I'm half-kicking myself for sending them away, but half-furious because I've used Peak Imaging numerous times before, with no problems, and it's not their fault at all but the postal service letting me down like this means I don't want to send my pictures away again, so Peak Imaging lose out on my service, which isn't very fair for them.

yes, i know I could go digital, yadda yadda, I do use digital, but my point is that I feel really gutted that I can't rely on my postal service - this time it's photographs, but next time it could be something else just as important to me. I know we all have days where we hate our jobs, maybe don't perform 100%, but...

I think I'm going to cry.
stonechat 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD: patience is the key to photography
<Ohmmmmm>
 anansie 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

They may have been deposited in the wrong post office or may be on their way..don't give up on them yet
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to stonechat and anansie:

ha ha, I really do hope they turn up.
 ebygomm 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

50% of the wedding invitations my friend sent out over a week ago haven't turned up yet.
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to ebygomm:

what's really frustrating is that it seems that we have to accept this, because there's no alternative.

why are the english so shit at running their public services? how hard can it be? other countries seem to manage it.

grrr.
 ebygomm 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

> other countries seem to manage it.

They don't. I'd take Royal Mail over the USPS or the Spanish postal service any day

stonechat 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to ebygomm)
>
>
> why are the english so shit at running their public services? how hard can it be? other countries seem to manage it.
>

top tip : return to your source
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to stonechat:

I'm not getting your point here. Can you explain?
stonechat 04 Jun 2008
In reply to ebygomm: do you ever travel by public transport?
stonechat 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD: you're part czech or something?
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to stonechat:

I am part czech, yes.

one of my czech relatives came over to Leeds a few years ago on an exchange, and was amazed at how crap our public transport was.

I know I'm just ranting in a semi-logical (if that) way, I'm just pissed off is all.

hey ho.
 ebygomm 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

They might still turn up, I used to think that stuff either turned up more or less on time or didn't turn up at all hence the 14 day rule before you can report stuff lost infuriated me. Fairly recently had something turn up at 14 days exactly though.

Is it likely to be a package too big to put through your letterbox? Our postman is useless at filling the cards in telling us a package is waiting.
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to ebygomm:

I'm going to check with the sorting office - they recently did that with another parcel, which I only found out about when the person got it returned to them and rang me, slightly offended that I hadn't been to pick it up, which i would have done had I known about it.
 Dom Whillans 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:
it isn't necessarily royal mail's fault... peak imaging may use UKBusiness Mail, TNT or similar as a collections agent. they truly balls up the post and royal mail always gets the blame. (thanks tony, you total capitalist scunthorpe)
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to Dom Whillans:

true, and good point.

apologies ro royal mail for ranting.

hey ho.
stonechat 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD: no apologies to royal mail necessary- you didn't mention them
 Mikkel 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to ebygomm)

>
> why are the english so shit at running their public services? how hard can it be? other countries seem to manage it.

I used to think that that, but lately i have been seeing evidence and hearing stories that show that alot of other countrys are coming down to this level when it comes to Postal services to.
The Danish one used to be very good but it have been partial privaticed and it have gone totaly utter crap since.

On the other hand the NHS have just this week shown how nice it can work compared to for example Denmark, which alot seems to think is soo much better than the UK.
I had a wisdomtooth out, which dentist couldnt do as it was coming out sidways etc, so was send to Hospital instead, not a long wait, sorted in a day and it cost me nothing more than the 12 quid for the initial dentist appointment where i was refered to Hospital. In Denmark this would have cost me somthing between 200 and 300 quid and alot of pain.
So they do get it right over here (sometimes

stonechat 04 Jun 2008
In reply to Mokkel: how do the other countries compare wrt other services?
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to stonechat:

I did, in my first post.

bah.
 Blue Straggler 04 Jun 2008

FWIW my recent deliveries from Peak Imaging have had Royal Mail postage labels on them
In reply to CJD: Don't get to worried yet, when I was at boarding school here and still regularly got letters from my dad in Kenya I once got one that had taken 11 MONTHS to arrive (and really nice it was too) so hang in there a bit longer. Admitedly the 11 months probably isn't royal mails fault but still
pooh 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD: Way back when I was at art college and slide film was the rule of the day. And old GF of mine sent hers off of her work and got somebody else’s holiday slides back instead. Talk about cry!!!

Simply told her to contact company as the other person wouldn’t bee too happy as well. 1 phone call later and a couple of days=everyone happy
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to Southampton Tom:

11 months! oh my god!

I think i'm just a bit kerfuffled as I was particularly looking forward to getting these pics back. Not that I'm impatient or anything.

the more I think about it, the more I choose to remember that the Peak Imaging woman said they'd been dispatched in two parcels, so I reckon they could well be with the sorting office...

Dom Whillans 04 Jun 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler:
uh, ok. i'm just a bitter ex-postie who got tired of grief from customers!
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008

I'm being a grumpy old boot. Burns (who posts on here) used to be a postie, and he told me terrible tales of people being horrible to him etc.

it's just that these are precious photos so I'm having a CJD squeakette.
 Kate 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD: If your photos have been lost in the post it doesn't mean they are lost forever. Your envelope is probably in a mail bag somewhere, it just depends on how long it is until the mail bag is next used. It could be tomorrow, or it could be next month. We are always finding stray letters in mail bags, but we stockpile cages with bags sometimes, so they sit there for a while waiting to be discovered.
 Dom Whillans 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD: wouldn't deny you a rant... there's such a process to post i wonder how much ever gets to the right people on a good day.
 nz Cragrat 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

When I was getting mail in Huaraz, Peru once a letter turned up for a mate who had been there the year before... so i took it and sent it home to NZ
 Kate 04 Jun 2008
In reply to Kate: Although, when I was at Uni my car tax ran out over the Christmas period, thinking that I would forget to take my insurance and MOT certificate home with me I posted them instead, and I have never received them.
 dek 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD: Are you sure a neighbor didn't take them in? Sometimes when you get a few rolls of film done from Peak, the envelope/box thingy can be too big for the letterbox.
Keep the faith!
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to dek:

my downstairs neighbours haven't been there for eighteen months - eek!

though you've reminded me to go and check the recycling bin (yes, my postpeople *have* left things 'for safekeeping' in the recycling bin before now )
 ebygomm 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

> though you've reminded me to go and check the recycling bin (yes, my postpeople *have* left things 'for safekeeping' in the recycling bin before now )

You think they teach them that in postman training school?

Postman leaves DVD package in bin
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/7120861.stm

OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to ebygomm:

most odd.

so. They're not in the bin. Fingers crossed for them turning up tomorrow.
 owlart 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD: We send stuff out by Royal Mail every day from work, both envelopes and packets. Whilst most do get there very quickly, we've had plenty of cases where something has taken several weeks, even months, to turn up, by which time we've usually sent out a replacement in the name of customer service. If we don't obtain a proof of posting for every item (which entails us having to take everything into the Post Office rather than using the post box at the end of the road), we can't even claim for lost items.
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to owlart:

I'm sure these will turn up! <crosses fingers>

otherwise somebody's looking at some pretty random pictures of somebody else's family reunion...
 Blue Straggler 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

<random tangent which might give optimism>

There's a truly LOVELY, sweeet little Aussie film called Dead Letter Office, about a sorting office that traces the intended recipients of lost mail. Maybe there's a Yorkshire version of such an office? Keep the faith!

</random tangent which might give optimism>
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler:

oh that's a nice thought.

i really should go to the cinema more. But you knew that already
 owlart 04 Jun 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: I believe all UK undeliverable mail gets shipped to Belfast where they try to work out who it should be either delivered or returned to. How hard they try is another matter.
 kathrync 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

Look on the bright side, it could be much worse.

For example, I just read this as "a troubling post-natal moment".

Seriously, I hope they do turn up. Losing photos in the post sucks. It might be worth calling Peak Imaging to see if they still have the files in their system somewhere? They usually print from scans don't they, so if they still have the files they might just be able to re-print them. Worth asking anyway....
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to kathrync:

that's not a bad idea.

these are family reunion pictures, the first time we were all in the same place together ever, and the moment can't be remade.

eeeeeeek

Hopefully I'm just fretting over nothing (how uncharacteristic of me <cough>)

kathrync 04 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

Yeah, you obviously wouldn't get your negs, but you would have prints and scans at least. You can't lose anything by asking! I would do it soon though, I don't know how long they keep their files for...

That's two sensible suggestions in a day, I'm on a roll
OP CJD 04 Jun 2008
In reply to kathrync:

I'll give them a ring tomorrow after I've checked with the sorting office.

graeme jackson 05 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to stonechat)
>
> I am part czech, yes.
>
> one of my czech relatives came over to Leeds a few years ago on an exchange, and was amazed at how crap our public transport was.
>
I had some friends over from jacksonville, florida last week and they were amazed at how good the public transport service in edinburgh is. Perhaps you should move to scotland
Shame about your pics though
Removed User 05 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

You should try the postal service over here. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'snail mail'.
moomin 05 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

At least I can blame my lack of book postal skills on the slow mail service.. (tomorrow - I promise!)

I post stuff virtually every day to all over the world, and I've only had 1 parcel go missing so far. There have been a few that have taken slightly over the '5 working days' advertised for airmail, and a fair few that have taken a few days for first class.

Fingers crossed!
 sutty 05 Jun 2008
In reply to CJD:

Kodak managed to lose a film of ours with two new routes on it along with a dozen photos of cliffs in the IOM taken from a light plane with special permission to fly lower than the regulations say according to the pilot.

I think a letter with a cheque in it for some books may have gone missing, it should have been received and the books sent by now and my email seems to be fooked as not had any since the 2nd so don't know if messages sent to check are getting through.;-(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...