UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Gorges du Tarn, France - Destination Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 24 Jul 2008
Kevin Avery gives us the full low-down on one of the best sport climbing destinations in the world. How to get there, where to stay, best routes at every grade - all with stunning photography...

Gorges du Tarn

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1173
 Morgan Woods 24 Jul 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Excellent stuff....just the sort of thing i like to see on here....very well explained about the different grades and the best sectors to visit.

Didn't however mention the guide.....which one, where to buy etc?
In reply to Morgan Woods:

The Guide

'Le Tarn' by the Club Alpin Francais, is available from the "tabac" in Le Rozier and Les Vignes and also from a number of the book shops in Millau. It is now a little out of date (first published in 2000) but new route information is available from the climbing wall in Millau.

Just after the first paragraph
 Morgan Woods 24 Jul 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

cheers....i seemed to have skimmed through rather quickly!
jghedge 29 Jul 2008

was there 3 weeks may/june 2008, yes it was deserted and rained tons, but rain doesn't really matter as many routes only get wet at the very top if at all...fly ryanair or whatever to Rodez, car rentals available there, 90 km to the crags from Rodez...shocking amounts of unclimbed rock...not fair...

vimeo.com/1340397

vimeo.com/1310398

vimeo.com/1303911
 Morgan Woods 29 Jul 2008
In reply to jghedge:

cool vids.....and cheers for the info....didn't know you could go to Rodez, thought only Montp. so that opens up options.
jghedge 30 Jul 2008

One more - this one with an actual Brit

vimeo.com/1430499
 Morgan Woods 30 Jul 2008
In reply to jghedge:

nice one....what sort of camera did you use?
 Adam Lincoln 30 Jul 2008
> (In reply to jghedge)
>
> nice one....what sort of camera did you use?

Canon HV20

Boy Global Crag Moderator 30 Jul 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I agree with Kev about Tresor De Zebra, amazing route, one of, if not the best 7a I have done anywhere.
 ksjs 06 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: anyone know what its like in the 5+ - 6b range? i realise the article suggests theres lots but is this genuinely somewhere you could go and climb variety and quality at these grades for 2 weeks?

good article by the way - ive got to go, those 60M pitches sound amazing...
 Jus 06 Aug 2008
In reply to ksjs:

I would say you'd need to be climbing at least 6b+/ 6c to sample quality lines for 2 weeks.

In the nearby Le Jonte Gorge there is loads of quality to go at in the 5+ to 6b range, including some amazing multipitch.
 matt perks 11 Aug 2008

Any more info on times to go? It must be warm even in the shade in July and August - any suggestions of the actual temp. for those of us that melt into jelly above 25 degrees? Has anyone been at Easter? I have found other southern French crags e.g. Orpierre, Orgon etc. perfect at this time of year - would Gorge du Tarn be much colder or wetter or not get much sun?
 Tom Briggs 12 Aug 2008
In reply to matt perks:

We're going on Thursday. The forecast is for low 20s. Easter is normally cold and wet I've heard.
 matt perks 16 Aug 2008
In reply to Tom Briggs: Thanks for that. Have a good trip. Maybe I should find out for myself next summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...