UKC

ok so what was the worst band you saw live

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mux 11 Dec 2008
after the quality that was listed on the best band post ..now its time to fess up to the worst.

I think mine was at a Beastie boys gig ..DJ Hurricane warmed up nicely crowed going nuts this was gonna be great then the i forget the name now "something crap BLUES EXPLOTION" came on ....

Dear god they killed it ...stone dead

good Job the B'Boys made up for it.
OP mux 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: worst band you saw ..Mux your english is pooer than a 3 day old nappy ! ..
In reply to mux: Victor Brox, playing the blues in a pub in Manchester.

There's a very good reason you've never heard of him...

T.
 Mita 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: It has to be Chicks on Speed, the crowd turned their backs to them, it was truely awful, funny that they were support to the RHCP.... Shocking....
 tony 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
> after the quality that was listed on the best band post ..now its time to fess up to the worst.
>
> I think mine was at a Beastie boys gig ..DJ Hurricane warmed up nicely crowed going nuts this was gonna be great then the i forget the name now "something crap BLUES EXPLOTION" came on ....
>
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion perhaps?

My worst was Hawkwind at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in the late 70s/early 80s. The most appalling sound mix made it impossible to make out any kind of music. Everything about the gig seemed to be drowned in sludge.
 ripper 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: would that be the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion? I'd rather watch them than beastie boys any day! shows you need the right band for the right crowd though. My worst was at a Futurama festival (alternative/punk/weird etc) some time in the mid 80s, when a headline act had pulled dout very late in the day and the only replacements the organisers could find were the old, fat Bay City Rollers...
 ripper 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> (In reply to mux) Victor Brox, playing the blues in a pub in Manchester.
>
> saw him once at a club in Todmorden. Supposedly a pedigree blues man but I though he was shite
 Doug 11 Dec 2008
In reply to ripper: Possibly the Gotan Project, I like the 2 CDs I've heard but the concert I saw this summer was dreary and lifeless and we left after maybe 5 or 6 songs.

Luckily it was a free concert
OP mux 11 Dec 2008
In reply to tony: that would be the one Tony ...cheers for reminding me of the utter Sh&TE that lay before me
 Dom Whillans 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
you tasteless sod; the blues explosion were AMAZING!
coincidently, one of the worst bands i ever saw live are on 6music at the minute - kenickie.
 Dom Whillans 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
but Gaydad were truly awful too.
 JimR 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

The worst band I ever saw was the Rolling Stones in Glasgow in the 70's. The sound quality was truly awful.
Removed User 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Mita: Was that and MEN Arena a couple of years ago?

John Frusciante started twining on about how the crowd were all fascists for booing. Everyone was like 'shut up and get on with John'. At which point they blew everyone away...

Thankfully I arrived late and missed Chicks on Speed.
 graeme jackson 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Not really the worst but, the most disappointing was Level 42 in Glasgow this october. After seeing them a couple of years ago in Perth where they were brilliant, I was expecting great things in glasgow as the concert hall is superb. Unfortunately, I reckon the sound guy must have been pissed as the mix was truly appalling. mark king was so loud it was impossible to make out what he was actually playing, Mike lindup and the guitarist may as well not have been on the stage and the vocals were very poor.

Worst band for me has to have been the Kings of Leon in edinburgh's corn exchange around 2005. I was so bored I left halfway through the gig.
 Toby S 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
> after the quality that was listed on the best band post ..now its time to fess up to the worst.
>
> I think mine was at a Beastie boys gig ..DJ Hurricane warmed up nicely crowed going nuts this was gonna be great then the i forget the name now "something crap BLUES EXPLOTION" came on ....
>
> Dear god they killed it ...stone dead
>
> good Job the B'Boys made up for it.

BLUUUUUES EXPLOSION!!! BELLBOTTOMS BELLBOTTOMS!! etc.. :0)

I think I saw them on the same tour! I quite like them.

I think the worst I ever saw was that bloke from Dexy's Midnight Runner doing a solo slot at the Leeds festival. Very, very bad.

Clarence 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Dumpy's Rusty Nuts at the Assembly Rooms Derby. The gig had not been publicised and only a handful of people turned up. The band came on and played three songs then pissed off, not a lot for a tenner we thought so we demanded our money back. Someone had to nip backstage and steal a couple of guitars to force their manager to pay us back (in used tenners from his wallet). Since there were only about a dozen of us it hardly broke the bank.
 Mita 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Removed User: No it was at Main Road....
 Tom Last 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Probably Bob Dylan at Glasto in '98 I think. It was like a funeral.

Otherwise Atari Teenage Riot at the Reading Festival - a joke.
 Nevis-the-cat 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Victor Brox is a legend. I saw him a few months ago and he was superb.

His daughter Kyla has one hell of a voice, and her band are pretty accomplished.
 Dark-Cloud 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: Mercury Rev, they were supporting somebody else, biggest load of overhyped toss ever to grace a stage, and this is when they were being hyped to the max by that sanctimonious, self indulgent and annoying Jo Whiley person on Radio 1 every day.
Removed User 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Mita: That's right. Getting mixed up...
 kipper12 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Easy; motorhead on the Ace of Spades tour - de Montfort Hall absolute rubbish, left to go to the pub instead.
 LastBoyScout 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Nickleback - they were the support act and I wish they hadn't bothered turning up.
 J Brown 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Nicky Wire solo show at the first Latitude festival in Suffolk (2006?). I am/was a Manics fan - but didn't have high hopes for his show.

I was astonished at how bad it was, everyone in the tent seemed kind of embarressed on his behalf.
 220bpm 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: The Prodigy at Prestwick Airport back in '95ish.

The were headlining the midnight set and the crowd were so stoked for it. They came on smashed out their minds, barely able to stand up then made a god-awful racket for 20min before the dancer collapsed and they were booed of stage.

Saw them again two years later, they were a wee bit straighter but still bloody awful.

They play the SECC on 7th April and I so want to go. Surely tae f*ck they can play something resembling their own music this time, cos the albums are legendary.
 Darron 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Putting aside the undoubted novelty factor of seeing Shane McGowan rolling round the stage I would say the Pogues
In reply to mux:

A Scottish band called Prolapse. I saw them supporting Urusei Yatsura in Norwich Arts Centre in the mid-late 90's. I seem to recall the NME had raved about their album, so I was quite excited about seeing them. They turned out to be a rubbish band fronted by a tiny lady who sang and a giant man who rapped badly in a broad Glaswegian (I think) accent. They were toss. Forunately Urusei Yatsura were awesome...
 Hat Dude 11 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Status Quo
One night at the Rugby Tech in early 70's, 1st band on was Thin Lizzy, 2nd was Medicine Head & last on were Status Quo. All three had just broken big - Thin Lizzy with "Whiskey In The Jar", Medicine Head had a single in the charts & hit album & Quo had comeback with "Caroline".
Quo were way too loud + distorted, the crowd were pressed against the back of the hall before filing out.

Judas Priest were pretty dire too, saw them as support band to Curved Air

most embarrassing fess is probably Chas & Dave
 RockAngel 28 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: a band called Diamondhead. They were the opening act of a big rock concert in Milton Keynes Bowl in 1993. The crowd completely booed them and ignored them. The following band, The Almighty, got the crowd going and then was follwed by Megadeth and the gig was headlinedby Metallica. I ended up with whiplash.
 Tony the Blade 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Me and the Mrs paid good money to see Kings Of Leon... Great band on cd - Live? Pile of poo!
 tommyzero 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: There are lots of Indie bands being rolled out here!

For me (and I could list plenty of Indie bands) I would have to say without a doubt that Primal Scream were the worst band I ever saw. I was a young broke student and brought a ticket off of a mate for a tenner, which I sorely regretted. Sorely.

Bobby fopped about, you couldn't hear a word that was sung or played and eventually I left after my ear drums were nearly burst. I left during the song 'Loaded'. I cannot listen to that song to this day nearly 16 years later!
 mikeski 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion?

are you mental? They're a great band
 Wee Davie 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

It's amazing how bad sound can ruin a gig. I'm not a big fan but I've seen the Kings of Leon a couple of times and I thought they were good (apparently Noel Gallagher thinks they're the best live band in the world). That counts for nowt, but hey, whatever.
Most disappointing live band I've ever seen were Lamb Chop at T in the Park. His vocals were inaudible and the overall effect was like an afternoon in B & Q.
Mind you, I've been to some great gigs with appalling sound- House of Pain at the Barras springs to mind. Couldn't make out a word and Everlast did demand the crowd 'kill the soundman' at one or two points. Eeek.
The whole place was literally bouncing. I have never been to a gig in the Barras like it. After two support acts (Funkdoobiest and Cypress Hill) I was starting to feel pretty tired from the jumping on the sprung dance floor. Once House of Pain came on there was no choice- keep bouncing or get crushed to smithereens.

pog100 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Richard Thompson, Brighton, about 1979. He had just changed from Fairport to some weird totally self indulgent middle eastern stylee music, totally at odds with what the audience expected/wanted. I still remember the plaintive cry 'Play Matty Groves!, please!!!'
 BenedictIEP 29 Dec 2008
In reply to pog100: Got to be Lauren Harris supporting Iron Maiden at Twickenham. Missed the first half buying a t-shirt, thankfully!
Removed User 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

surely its got to be against the rules to include "support" bands?

for me it had to be the Manchester philharmonic (sp?) doing last night of the proms (and don't ask why I was there except it had something to do with the worst Christmas present)
Removed User 29 Dec 2008
In reply to Removed User:

Actually, I'd like to add another. 'Yes' at the Odeon just after 'the Buggles' joined them in 1980 (or thereabouts)
 Thrudge 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
One thing I'll say for The Beastie Boys, they were the inspiration for these lads:

http://www.compulink.co.uk/~lemoncurry/

Click "Indecipherable Boys - Hi Quality Version" at the bottom of the page (needs Real Player).
 graeme jackson 29 Dec 2008
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed User)
>
> Actually, I'd like to add another. 'Yes' at the Odeon just after 'the Buggles' joined them in 1980 (or thereabouts)

I saw the same tour at Newcastle city hall and, once I'd reeled in my 'no jon it can't be YES' prejudice they were very good. Even the most ardent hecklers settled down before the end of the first song.

TN 29 Dec 2008
In reply to graeme jackson:

All About Eve at the Boardwalk in Sheff about 10 years ago. Awful venue, loads of the bands mates/crew in the audience at the front and the band just chatting and making 'in' jokes with them. We persevered until half time then left.

Aso we saw The Levellers years ago - support band *may* have been Chumbawamba - whoever they were they were shite. We went for a bouncy Levellers gig and got a barrage of political ranting. Wish we'd turned up late. (Levellers WERE very good.)

KeithW 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Wang Chung at - bizarrely - the Theakston's Beer Fest in '83.
Aside from being New Romantic poseur shite, they're the only band I've ever seen that's stumbled to a confused halt in the middle of one of their own songs.

Although The Prodigy at Glastonbury, in one of the wet years, were almost as bad - after declaring that "a motherf*ckin' hurricane can't stop us!!" the power went off in the first song & they stomped off without a word.
wcdave 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: Travis, and Glasvegas.....not at the same time thankfully.
 The RigPig 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Went to see the "the Fun Lovin Criminals" in Newcastle with the mrs, they were great however their warm up act "The Mitchell brothers" were without doubt the worst act ive ever seen !!
I actually considered throwing myself off the balcony at one point !
psd 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Black Eyed Peas, supporting Macy Gray back in, ooh, 2000 or so. In between buying tickets and the actual gig, Macy Gray had become really popular amongst the sort of people who will buy tickets for a gig just so that they can hear the one famous single they actually know. BEP went on for about five hours, making the sort of noise you'd more commonly expect from the Vauxhall Nova owner's club. It was really, truly, abysmally dire, and even the traditional resort of decamping to a bar was ruled out by the effect of the bass rumble on one's lower bowel.

Then Macy Gray came on and everyone breathed a sigh of relief, right up until the point when she opened her mouth and let off a stream of invective. Cue a few thousand sharp intakes of breath and simultaneous clapping of hands over children's ears. I didn't hear very much of the actual gig as I was too busy laughing at the woman behind me. "This is, is, well, it's filthy. I've never heard such smut..." Sneaking a look behind me, I then discovered her hands moving like Marcel Marceau as she frantically tried to stop her daughter from either seeing or hearing Macy Gray do something very unclassy with a microphone stand.

Actually, on second thoughts it might have been one of the best gigs I've been to, even if the acts were total pish...
 ginja1980 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Babyshambles.

I was there to see the other acts on the bill. Never walked out of gig until that forgettable evening.
 ginja1980 29 Dec 2008
In reply to Queequeg:

I saw that Atari Teenage Riot set as well. They were stupendously awful for so many reasons.
 Postmanpat 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Motor'ead supporting Alice Cooper about a year ago at Wembley.Not my type of music anyway but the words,guitar,everything were just drowned out .
Even the die hard fans were retreating to the bar in droves.
Bingers 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

I'll go for disappointing rather than worst.

Marillion at the Colmar Foire du Vin in August last year.

My very first gig was Marillion at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 1986. I'd just finished my O-Levels, had a job that wasn't a paper round for the very first time and was going to an all-day festival. In short, I had just become a man. Anyway, superb gig and day out. Big Marillion fan until Fish left. Then the cool lad in the Sixth Form who everyone wanted to be like decreed that when Fish left it would be disloyal to continue to like Marillion anymore, so I went from having bought every Marillion record to not buying any more ever.

Back in the summer I saw they were playing at Colmar (I go to see someone every year) with Status Quo, so I thought yeah, relive my youth and even tried to remember the words to Market Square Heroes. Anyway, they were alright, but did not play a single tune from their Fish days. I was soooooo disappointed. However, Quo didn't disappoint, you know what you're going to get with Quo and thats what I got.
 liz j 29 Dec 2008
In reply to KeithW:
> (In reply to mux)
>
> > Although The Prodigy at Glastonbury, in one of the wet years, were almost as bad - after declaring that "a motherf*ckin' hurricane can't stop us!!" the power went off in the first song & they stomped off without a word.

You got to see more of them than I did, 95 Universe at Oxford, Leeroy picked a fight with someone who jumped up on the stage and they never even started their set!!!
They are playing Cardiff next year though so may go and see them as there music is fantastic.
The worst gig I've been to was Credit to the Nation (????) at the Thekla in Bristol, ouch.
 Wee Davie 29 Dec 2008
In reply to ginja1980:

>Atari Teenage Riot

Have to say it is a fantastic name for a band. I can see why they got signed even if they couldn't play!
swampy 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Billy Bragg in the Derby Assembly Rooms about 6 years ago.

During the usual tirade of bullshit that Billy is known for, he decided to start slagging off Paul Weller saying what a miserable git he was.

Billy - you need to take a good look at yourself mate!

The highlight of that night was a crap pizza afterwards.
 jbird 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: morrissey, wasnt a massive fan of morrissey anyway but liked the smiths, the only good song he did was panic on the streets of london...
 David Hooper 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

For me probably Ronnie Size and Reprazent at Manchester Academy - awful muddy sound - walked out after about third number and went to Rusholme for a curry instead.
 jonnie 29 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

Seeing the Milton Keynes Bowl come up a few times made me grin. The worst band I ever saw was at the Bowl possibly about 1987. It was quite a good line up with Lloyd Cole, The Waterboys and Simple Minds...but it also included Sig Sig Sputnik who truly were the most awful band I've ever seen. During their entire set a hail of bottles arced towards them. Unfortunately it didn't stop them!
 Thrudge 30 Dec 2008
In reply to Postmanpat:
> Motor'ead supporting Alice Cooper about a year ago at Wembley.Not my type of music anyway but the words,guitar,everything were just drowned out .

Well, fair's fair, they even put it in big letters on the T-shirts - "Everything louder than everything else". I saw Motorheap a couple of months ago at Wolverhampton Civic and they were great

graeme jackson 30 Dec 2008
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to mux)
> Motor'ead supporting Alice Cooper about a year ago at Wembley.Not my type of music anyway but the words,guitar,everything were just drowned out .
> Even the die hard fans were retreating to the bar in droves.

Same thing happened in Glasgow that tour. Joan Jett was fantastic then Motorhead came on and just kept getting louder and louder until the 'music' became unlistenable. Some people I spoke to said their hearing had been so badly affected they couldn't hear the coop properly.

sutty 30 Dec 2008

Free, in a gig in Wolverhampton in 1971? One hit wonders who played too loud and mostly badly. They only did an hour but for most of that time people went to the bar in the next room and listened there;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=htuxb-m4-ng
 Chris the Tall 30 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Most disappointing:

Blur, Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine and the Jesus and Mary Chain sometime in the early 90s.

A brilliant lineup on paper, but in a half empty Sheffield Arena it just didn't work.
johnj 30 Dec 2008
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
> [...]
>
> Same thing happened in Glasgow that tour. Joan Jett was fantastic then Motorhead came on and just kept getting louder and louder until the 'music' became unlistenable. Some people I spoke to said their hearing had been so badly affected they couldn't hear the coop properly.

I thought heavy metal was supposed to be too loud, sounds like a great gig bless!
peterwales 30 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:
Hawkwind, back in about 1977, in Salford; then Dylan on either of the last two times I've seen him- Finsbury Park, London about 1992(?) or Hyde Park, 1996. Then Aussie heavy metal band Airbourne in Cardiff University couple of months ago- only gig I have ever walked out of. Unspeakable...
 SC 31 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

I saw the future heads supporting the Foo Fighters at wembley, they were really terrible. The Fratellis at this years Reading festival have to be the most boring band I have seen. They were both bad but by far the worst live band I have seen were Das Boot, supporting Maximo Park at the Bristol Academy, how the f*ck does a band like that get booked, there were less than 10 people watching them, never seen the bar so busy while a band was playing, the other support band that night were pretty sh1t but I forget who they were. Fortunatly Maximo Park made up for these aweful support bands by playing an excellent show.
 Rob Naylor 31 Dec 2008
In reply to mux:

"The 1990s" at Concorde2 in Brighton in 2007. They were supporting The Long Blondes and Vichy Government and were without doubt the absolute worst band I've had the misfortune to see live in 38 years of gig-going!
ICE 31 Dec 2008
In reply to 220bpm: the prod have their live act together now, saw them at briston acad and it was awesome, everyone of the audience was soo wasted we got to the very front and bounced all night.
 ebygomm 31 Dec 2008
In reply to mux: ian brown at v98

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...