UKC

R1 Hoody, Ninja Hoody or something else?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taba 28 Jan 2009
I'm after a neat fitting hooded micro/100 weight fleece, the two mentioned above are probably favourites, what do people make of them and is there any good ones I have missed?

Also if you notice any good deals on these post a link!
 HeMa 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

I'd rather get a wool hoodie (ie. Patagucci Wool 4 Hoody or similar).

Similar to the fleece ones, but doesn't reek after a few days use.
OP Taba 28 Jan 2009
In reply to HeMa:

Ive got a 200 weight wool base-layer I plan on using underneath it, also wool gets a bit yukky when wet and is a bit more of a pain to care for.

I'm interested to check out the wool 4 hoody though, do you own one, is it durable? also I can't seem to find it for sale, how much is it and how warm?
 HeMa 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

Unfortunately I had to settle for IceBreaker stuff... since the Wool4Hoody is pretty popular (ie. none available either in Dublin nor SLC Outlets).

I did mess around with a womens version, and I'd say it is a tad thicker than yer standard PowerStreach fleece (and thus a tad warmer).

Didn't feel itchy at all... But neither does my IceBreaker... in fact, numerous fleece shirts I've owned (Haglöfs, PAtagucci, Lowe Alpine etc.) feel more clammy when wet than my IceBreaker does...

Never going back to fleece (ok, will still use my old fleece stuff for bike commutes and running).
OP Taba 28 Jan 2009
In reply to HeMa:

I don't see a hooded wool top on their website, I think I will have to stick with fleece for now.

R1 hoody constantly gets rave reviews and i'm pretty tempted, but interested in the Lowe Alpine Ninja hoody and any other alternatives.
 galpinos 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

I pretty much lived im my old R1 but got an R1 Hoody for Christmas of the missus' mum. Sweet.

Only used it for a weeks skiing so far, when the hood was pretty useful in the biting wind on chair lifts, but am off ski touring this weekend so will give it a better test then.

Seems to be a slighlty heavier/more robust weave than my old R1 but that might just be a general change.

If I wear the hoody anywhere near as much as the old one, it'll be money well spent.
 alasdair19 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba: the ninja hoody looks awesome if a touch on the radical side where can you get them from?
OP Taba 28 Jan 2009
In reply to galpinos:

Cheers, luckily it will be a week or so before I can afford one so I won't rush off and buy one on impulse before then.

Alasdair:

I'm not sure where you can get em, I saw them at planet fear a while back but I don't see them now!

Don't mammut do a hooded fleece?
 galpinos 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

http://www.frontcountry.com/site/patagonia_wool_4_hoody

Not on the summer site as they have gone into summer mode. Rubbish.
OP Taba 28 Jan 2009
In reply to galpinos:

No zip! Also the hood doesn't have drawcords so it is unlikely it would do up and fit like a balaclava - which is what im looking for.
 galpinos 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

The hood on the R1 Hoody is pretty snug. Really great (but expensive) bit of kit.
 SFM 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

The R1 hoody's hood is very balaclava-esque. I look like a seal when I wear mine!!
Removed User 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

I'll bet the R1 hoody is the dogs knob. I have an old Mtn Eqpt jacket in that thin dense fleece (ultrafleece?) they did. It is hooded, long and with thumb loops. These three features make the thing vastly superior to any pub fleece for the hills in unfriendly weather. It doesn't wick or stretch like R1 though. An R2 top (or old hairy Helly Hansen pile) in this design would be a winner.
 walts4 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

Go for the R1 hoody, totally brilliant piece of kit as the hood is well snug & always there for when you need it.

Bought the wool hoody as well,not worn it on the hill yet, more of a comfort item as the hood has no draw string or is as snug.
First impressions are that it is very warm for its weight, more of a extra item that you would put on at the end of a day
 beh 28 Jan 2009
Similarly wouldn't mind an r1 hoody, struggling to find a size small in stock anywhere though.
 RBK 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba: R1 hoody is great, i wore mine most days last year and it's still looking like new. Have a look at the ME shroud jacket as well, a fantastic bit of kit.
 Ben Ranson 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

We bought a couple of Mountain Equipment Shroud Fleece's before heading off on our roadtrip. Wore them solidly for four months, along with a marino baselayer and it made for an awesome combination, so I'd fully recommend them to you.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/thermal/shroud_jacket...

Hood was a good close snug fit, body was articulated - which is good, being 6'5" but not a 40+" waist I find it hard to get kit that doesn't feel like I'm wearing a tent.

Lucas 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

I wore my R1 hoody all season up a mountain as a liftie last NZ winter. After 5 days of shovling snow and skiing with a 200 crew iccebreaker underneath, neither layers totally stank. Also after wearing it the hole season, its showing little signs of wear and still going strong.

The hood is snug with an asymmetrical zip so it does up off you chin, my only gripe would be that the longer side of the collar collects ice a little when wearing the hood but not zipped, so when you do it up your chin gets a little cold.

The chest pocket was perfect for my e-lite on the early starts, or powerstretch gloves when they got wet.

great piece of kit!
 john howard 1 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba: I have an R1 hoody(got it in the dublin outlet store on the cheap) and love it, although I'm tempted by this http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/beartooth_merino_w... for warmer weather/for winter layering, looks great.Edit: ive tried on the ninja hoody and didn't rate it at all, the fabric just completely let it down, too stiff and uncomfortable, the cut seemed a bit funky too(maybe just on me).
In reply to Taba:

Just to throw something else into the mix, how about Haglofs?

e.g. Treble hood?
OP Taba 29 Jan 2009
In reply to john howard 1:

Thanks, good to get an opinion on the Ninja. That beartooth hoody looks superb, do backpackinglight deliver to the UK, how are you planning on getting hold of one?

Thanks to everyone else aswell, R1 hoody really does sound like the absolute dogs balls and probably worth it at £100, even if it does feel wrong to pay that much for a fleece.

I will check out that haglofs one aswell, but I doubt it will be cheap, and there definitely won't be as many great reviews as the R1 hood has.

One last question; what is the sizing like on the R1 Hoody, i'm about 5'10" with 38" chest and 30" waist, I like to wear size small when possible, but sometimes sleeves or body are just too short. How does the R1 shape up?
 steve456 30 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba: I've got an R1 flash something-or-other which is basically the hoody without the hood. It's absolutely amazing, really warm with no bulk, really comfortable and suprisingly good worn as a base-layer, it seems as warm layering without one as with and the zip is really good for venting.

It fits me fine, it's definitely not too tight and still feels closely cut (unlike a clingy base-layer) so I reckon it would fit you fine (you've probably seen me in it). It's longer in the arms and altogether bigger than a small smelly helly and cut quite a bit longer. I know it kind of defies the point but it's a lot cheaper if you don't get the hood and add a separate balaclava, they're sometimes 50% off (~£35) at the mountain factor whereas I've never seen the hoody reduced.

I've only ever seen one ninja hoody and that was in TK Maxx a couple of years ago (in my size too for £30 and I didn't buy it... Always regretted that!) they seem to be pretty hard to get hold of now.

Steve
OP Taba 30 Jan 2009
In reply to steve456:

I guess that sounds more sensible than spending an extra 50-60 quid just for a hood and thumb loops. I'm not naturally a sensible person though, so we will see...

I really like the look of that merino hoody from backpackinglight.com I have to find out how to get hold of one.
Solid Snake 30 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

I've got both the R1 Flash and the Hooody - I always prefer the hoody when I'm out climbing. The sleeves and the body are much longer, so it stays tucked into your trousers even when your reaching up, and the thumb loops make a huge difference to how warm my hands stay. Having a hood is great as well even though I don't have it up all the time. Spend the extra money. Regarding sizing, I'm 6'1" and 75kg and the medium is perfect.
Vip1r 30 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:

I've had an R1 Hoody since they were released again and it's ace.
OP Taba 30 Jan 2009
In reply to Solid Snake:

Interesting, I like to fit things pretty neat and take a small if possible, so extra length on the sleeves and body of the hoody could be important. Its looking more and more like I might have to splash out.
amf37 30 Jan 2009
In reply to Taba:
Mountain Equipment Shroud jacket?
 TobyA 30 Jan 2009
In reply to steve456: Same here, wanted the hoody but couldn't justify the cost. Got the same as you also half price from Mountain Factor and have been very please with it. Like so much Patagonia stuff the design and finishing are just a bit more than with other firms - only noticed last night that it has more stretchy lower bulk material in the armpits for example.

Would like a hoody and think thumb loops are a simple but brilliant idea, but the R1 Flash is still an exceedingly good mid-layer. Much better than two Haglöfs micro fleeces I have for instance.
TWR 13 Feb 2009
In reply to Taba:

I've got a R1 pullover and Hoody.

Whilst the pullover is an excellent and superwarm fleece. It really does compare to the amazing seal you get from the Hoody. Te thumb loops, hood and long body mean that you are totally sealed from the elements.

I don't bother with a hat/balaclava in winter now.
 rossowen 13 Feb 2009
In reply to TWR: I've got a Kawasaki Ninja, and an Animal hoody
In reply to Taba: I've got a haglofs gemini, which has been great. Maybe not quite as hard wearing as my mates patagtonia though.
Keithish 13 Feb 2009
I have a Lowe Alpine Ninja hoody and highly recommend it. Fantastic piece of kit. Super warm considering how thin it is. Great snug fit. Full front zip is better than the R1 half zip. Thumb loops and snug fitting hood are great. No need to carry a balaclava.
 David Hooper 13 Feb 2009
In reply to Taba:
I have a newish Patagonia hoody for sale -will mail you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...