UKC

NEW ARTICLE: VIDEO: James Pearson working Gerty Berwick E9 7a

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 19 Feb 2009
[The Wall Left of New Statesman, chalked up today after Ryan Pasquill's ascent.., 2 kb]James Pearson has recently repeated Gerty Berwick, the famous project at Ilkley, to the left of The New Statesman.

In this clip, filmed by Hotaches, James is working the moves on the route, which was at the time, still a project. The clip was filmed around one year ago.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1655
 TobyA 19 Feb 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: That looks well 'ard!

Do others use a grigri for self belaying like James? It looks a bit fiddly compared to a shunt but presumably there are advantages as well?
 Jack Geldard 19 Feb 2009
In reply to TobyA: Yes - you can go back down!!

You quite often need to tweak your height to just the right position to be able to pull on to the rock.

And of course, if you can't get up to the top!

Jack
 TobyA 19 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: But I guess you have to pull the rope through yourself as you go up? Unlike with a shunt (at least not if the rope has a wee bit of weight on the end).

Do Petzl OK it for this use? I have a grigri but I got it from a friend so (embarrassed cough) don't think I've ever read the instructions...
 JR 19 Feb 2009
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah I use it like that too, it's fine. Just got to remember to make sure there is a some protection for the rope and put a knot in the rope underneath you at some point, occasionally it slips.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...