UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: New Outdoor Boulders For Salford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Apr 2009
[Right Swinton Boulder, 3 kb]Thanks to the Forestry Commission and funding from the North West Development agency, there are now two large Rockworks boulders in Swinton, Salford. The concrete boulders are situated in a small park and available for all to use.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=46941
 henbot 16 Apr 2009
Out of interest, does anyone know roughly how much these boulders cost?
 Alex Thompson 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC News: Any idea which company constructed these boulders?
 Chris the Tall 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Alex Thompson:
Rockworks I presume
In reply to UKC News: keep an eye on your stuff if you do use them. Nice area.
In reply to Al Evans: Hi Al, I love bouldering, and also know Salford very well.
 Al Evans 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Al Evans: Though I do notice the grafitti has already happened. Has anybody considered building these boulders with pre installed grafitti that is so good there just wouldnt be any point in the little jerks doing it?
 Mike Stretford 16 Apr 2009
In reply to paul_in_cumbria: Haven't been that far in but didn't think Swinton was so too bad.
 Chris the Tall 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Al Evans:
There are 4 of these in Sheffield now, one very close to Brammall Lane in fact. Great fun for a sunny lunchtime when you are stuck in the office.

But they have been graffiteed all over, I do check the holds before I use them, and you do occassionally get the local "undesirables" hanging around them.

Actually what mostly happens is that the local kids ask questions like "are you one of them free climbers ?", "do you do any abseiling?" and then burn you off in their trainers. Never had a problem, but that doesn't mean I don't keep an eye on my stuff !
 u1jd 16 Apr 2009
In reply to james oswald: Does anyone know how you would go about persuading your council to construct such a boulder, would quite like one where i live but not sure what department to even contact
In reply to UKC News:

I few of these in places like Essex and Hertfordshire would be useful.
 Alex Thompson 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Chris the Tall:
D'oh! Of course...
 screenager 16 Apr 2009
In reply to u1jd: I was thinking exactly the same thing. There is a complete lack of climbing in my area so one of these things would be great to keep up my strength while I am home from uni. Can anyone think of how to persuade their council to buy one?
 u1jd 16 Apr 2009
In reply to rm118: I think the best thing to do would be to get a lot of people with an interest in climbing together and then take the argument to the council, i am thinking about trying it.
In reply to UKC News: Had a nip up there this morning. Two nice bouders. Lots of good eliminate potential. Nice one whoever is responsible.
 robin mueller 22 Apr 2009

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...