UKC

UKC Job Alert: Access & Conservation Officer (Wales)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 16 Apr 2009
[ukc job alert, 3 kb]The BMC is seeking an officer to promote the interests of climbers, hill walkers and mountaineers in Wales. This new and varied post will operate at a national level on policy and strategic issues and locally on site based access and land management issues. The preferred location will be North Wales although strong candidates based in South Wales will be considered.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=1816
Simon Panton nr 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: It's great to see this becoming a reality after all the discussions.

Another good reason to join and support the BMC - fantastic!
 toad 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: shame that Welsh is only "desirable", I'd have thought that it would be essential to negotiate with landowners
Simon Panton nr 17 Apr 2009
In reply to toad: I would prefer the new officer to be a Welsh speaker, but I wouldn't want to discount all other monoglot applicants. It is possible that we might get a very strong candidate in all aspects, bar the ability to converse in Welsh; I think such a person should be given serious consideration, especially if they were a Welsh learner (after all, having some command of the language can be an ice breaker in certain situations).
 mr mills 22 Apr 2009
In reply to Simon Panton nr:

I would be very suprised if you could not find a suitable candidate who`s first language is not Welsh.
Landowners, farm tenants and the general public in Wales, especially rural Wales will not entertain a non Welsh speaker.
This post will bring the candidate in contact with such people on a daily basis and as you rightly say `it can be an ice breaker in certain situations`.
I know there are quite a few Welsh learners out there and if you do have a strong candidate who is fluent `learner` great, end of the day we want the best man/woman for this post.

Diolch yn fawr !

mills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...