UKC

NEWS: SMC Skye Guidebook Photo Winners plus Inn Pinn VIDEO

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Jun 2009
[Dave 'Naked Dave' Thornley on the Cioch, Skye, 2 kb]The Scottish Mountaineering Club's Skye guidebook is nearing completion and in conjunction with UKClimbing.com, the SMC ran a competition for photographs for this guidebook over the last two months. Here are the winners.

PLUS - a video of the view from the Inn Pinn...

- aqua-bouldering at the Fairy Pools and a photographic response to the winning photograph, Halcyon Days.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=47940
 BelleVedere 16 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

I knew it would win - but blimey i'm disapointed it did.

SonyaD 16 Jun 2009
In reply to Mike Lates,

So..... The SMC won't allow rude or distasteful route names, but you'll allow pictures of naked women (and let's face it, that photo is nothing to do with climbing.)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, 'but it's art,' and I'm not a prude, but dear oh dear oh dear.

Dan's photo was far superior IMO.
 Michael Ryan 16 Jun 2009
 Grahame N 16 Jun 2009
In reply to SonyaD:
Although 'Halcyon Days' generated most votes and thereby won the competition, it doesn't necessarily mean it will make the guidebook.
 SonyaD 16 Jun 2009
In reply to Grahame N: Aaaaah, ok. I should learn to read properly before I spout off! It's a gorgeous photo and would be a beautiful pic for a coffee table type book, just not appropriate for a guidebook (IMO) And god, I sound dead stuffy
In reply to SonyaD: Since this is a climbing site I'd have preferred to see her, ahem, rack.
 Michael Ryan 16 Jun 2009
In reply to dan bailey:
> (In reply to SonyaD) Since this is a climbing site I'd have preferred to see her, ahem, rack.

Bailey - grab your coat on the way out ; o )

Mike Lates 17 Jun 2009
Thanks to Grahame for clarifying that the winning shot may not quite make either the front cover or even page 3. The comments raised during the comp are almost worthy of compilation themselves. I was suprised at how well most managed to (just) stay the right side of PC.
graeme_s 19 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Is isn't obvious from the SMC site, but when is this due out (even approx), and will this book overlap with or replace the Skye Scrambles book or will that remain separate? The reason I ask, is that I was considering buying the latter but if this new book includes content from the scrambles book I'd perhaps be better off buying the new Skye book.

Graeme.
 petestack 19 Jun 2009
In reply to Graeme Seggie:
> Is isn't obvious from the SMC site, but when is this due out (even approx)

Too late for this summer.

> and will this book overlap with or replace the Skye Scrambles book or will that remain separate? The reason I ask, is that I was considering buying the latter but if this new book includes content from the scrambles book I'd perhaps be better off buying the new Skye book.

They're separate (but inevitably cover some common ground), and both pending new editions this year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...