UKC

Snowdon Climb February 2010

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andrew Cronin 11 Jan 2010
Hi

Me and a friend are travelling from the Isle of Man on Feb 11 2010 to climb Snowdon.

Can anybody give any advice as to what weather conditions may be like? I have ice axes and crampons at the ready as i think we are bound to encounter snow and ice.

Can anybody give any advice on this?

We had planned to go up Crig Goch however if there is snow , ice or strong winds there is no chance we will attempt that route.

Any comments welcome
 Karlos 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Andrew Cronin:

Today is the 11th, and I reckon if it's 12:41 and you have yet to leave the Isle of Man then you ain't gonna get up Snowdon in day light.

For what it's worth, there will be plenty of ice and snow as soon as you leave any car park anywhere in Snowdonia.

Enjoy,

Karlos
 Andy Mountains 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Karlos:

Feb 11
 Tony the Blade 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Karlos:

Re read...

Me and a friend are travelling from the Isle of Man on Feb 11 2010 to climb Snowdon.

saievans 11 Jan 2010
You cant say what the conditions are going to be then but it would take a fair bit of warming up to get rid of all the snow and ice, so plan for that, im there on the 30th Jan and will update this post if I can find it to update you.
bigstu31s 11 Jan 2010
In reply to saievans:
I plan to be there on the 22nd of Janaury so i'll update the both of you
 andyd1970 11 Jan 2010
In reply to bigstu31s: There is a Topic running I think its called Welsh Winter Conditions under winter climbing and its updated nearly every day. I would check this the day before,not sure of your winter experience but unless you are experienced I would stay clear of Crib Goch.
Hope this helps
Andy
bigstu31s 11 Jan 2010
In reply to andyd1970:

For sure I will avoid Crib Goch. I must be a rare breed of person on these threads as I am scared of heights. I go up for the views, the camaraderie with your mates and because it’s a good test of ones fitness.
Oh and a Beer and a hot sandwich at that little hotel/pub near Pen y Pass is always a joy
 Babika 11 Jan 2010
In reply to bigstu31s:
Isn't the Pen-y-Gwrd closed off season? It was in December and I was a bit surprised
 Nigel Modern 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Babika:
> (In reply to bigstu31s)
> Isn't the Pen-y-Gwrd closed off season? It was in December and I was a bit surprised

Not usually

PS to OP - bring your winter gear but no idea whether it will be real winter conditions. Watching over the last 15 years or so it usually snows middle of Feb and is often in good nick end of Feb. This year is unusual (so who knows?) and I think you could go up Snaefell currently with winter gear and not look silly...??
 David Hooper 11 Jan 2010
 Brass Nipples 11 Jan 2010
In reply to David Hooper:

Ha ha

Definitely not shorts and t-shirt weather.

Since it's a month away there's no telling what weather you may encounter. It could be mild and wet, it could be mild and dry, it could be cold and snowy, it could be cold and frosty but no snow.

Be prepared to take your winter and spring weather gear and axes and crampons and keep an eye on the forecasts nearer the time.

This time last year I was rock climbing in Snowdonia. This year ice climbing.

uberdude 10 Feb 2010
Well, it's the 11th tomorrow, so I assume you're in Wales already? I'd like to see how you got on as I'll be up there Saturday hopefully.
Andrew Cronin 11 Feb 2010
In reply to uberdude: will do !!! just in the airport now, will be there in snowdonia this afternoon
 Neil Anderson 11 Feb 2010
In reply to Andrew Cronin: I've posted conditions on the welsh winter thread as of yesterday when we went up.

Basically snow on the Pyg track after about 1/2 of climbing - snow above 700m as you ascend. very hard neve. ice & crampons a must. it was cold on top due to windchill. Enjoy. There was only about a dozen people on the mt yesterday...I wonder how many this weekend!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...