UKC

Someone recommend me a good grade II in LAKES on wed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Mountains 07 Mar 2010
I'm heading up to the Lake District for one day only on wednesday, and was hoping someone could recommend me a good grade II or thereabouts please?

I live in N.Wales and have been lucky enough to do about 30 routes in Snowdonia already this winter, but never done any in the Lakes.

Going to drive up on tuesday night & kip in the car so will be getting a good early start.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
 liz j 07 Mar 2010
In reply to trek:
Would you like it with or without ice/snow/hoar....

In reply to liz j:

U a funny lady!!
Any suggestions at all would be something..........!
In reply to trek:

Nothing??? No recommendations at all??
 Neil Anderson 07 Mar 2010
In reply to trek: I would head to Glenridding and then up to red tarn on Helvellyn - you can get numerous routes ( several in a day) at grade 1 - 2 on brown cove, red tarn gullies and nethermost - descending each time via swirral or striding edge. excellent spot for soloing and tends to hold the snow - not been recently, but sure to be in condition if anything is in the lakes.
Little Billy 07 Mar 2010
In reply to trek:
Blea water and the associated gullies - All great snow and ice on Saturday and only a short 45mins walk in, unlike the Helvellyn post.

Enjoy
 Conan 07 Mar 2010
In reply to trek:
Still lots of choice of routes in good nick as as you looking at mid week then choose one or two of the classics.
Great End has plenty of choice with the variations of Central Gulley. I know Left Branch (of Central gulley) is III but worth pushing the grade for this excellent route. Window gulley is a bit easier at II/III and an excellent route.

Martin Haworth 07 Mar 2010
In reply to trek: Deep Ghyll on Scafell.
In reply to trek:

Gully 1 (Red Tarn Cove) Helvellyn. Wonder if Gav is reading??
Removed User 07 Mar 2010
In reply to billllli:
> (In reply to trek)
> Blea water and the associated gullies - All great snow and ice on Saturday and only a short 45mins walk in, unlike the Helvellyn post.
>

Helvellyn Red Tarn's hardly much further, if you're reasonably fit. I'd go elsewhere though, but bear in mind that the snow was turning mushy, both Saturday and Sunday on the high fells.

Exile 08 Mar 2010
In reply to trek:

I haven't got a guide book with me and can't remember what it's called, but the right hand arete on Pikes Crag, (Scafell,) is very good despite it's lack of stars.
 DR 08 Mar 2010
In reply to billllli:
Mmmm, first chimney pitch wasn't really there on Saturday and I don't think the overnight freezes will have helped that much. Having said that the mainpitch was good value and the icefall finish was excellent if a bit short.

Trek - I'd go to Helvellyn for the most options - Gully 1 is a grade II and V Corner is the easiest III you'll find anywhere.

Davie
 3leggeddog 08 Mar 2010
In reply to trek:

If you are prepared/able to notch it up a grade, then go to Scafell, climb Cascade on the Shamrock, then shimmy along Lord's Rake to Deep Ghyll Integrale. Two contrasting routes, one ice, one mixed to take you all the way to the top of the crag, with an airy crux right at the top. I don't think you'll find better at the grade.
Thanks to all for the suggestions, much appreciated!
Unfortunately Ive just come out of hospital after an unexpected short 'visit' with instructions from the doc to 'take it easy this week', so will be next week til I can get to Lakes. Damn it!!
Will have to keep my eye on Lakes Conditions thread, see what weather is like then.
Will let you all know what I get up to.
Ta
Andy
 Exile 08 Mar 2010
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Have you done this comblination as it's one I've often thought about. How many pitches total if you pitched it all? 7 / 8?
 wercat 08 Mar 2010
In reply to trek:

Took my wife up the gully behing Scales Tarn on Blencathra - had some ice left and would put it still about II at the moment though it is often easier. The crux proved all too exciting for her but a good effort.
 3leggeddog 09 Mar 2010
In reply to Exile:

I've done both routes but never in combination. I'm not sure on no of pitches either as I have soloed or moved together on them. I would guess 9 pitches if you pitched it all, including the link up along lords rake as it would not be worth taking the rope off!
 Exile 09 Mar 2010
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Sounds good, you don't get many 9 pitch routes in the lakes.
 seanmck 10 Mar 2010
In reply to trek: Central Gully (i/ii) on Brown cove crag is pleasant at the mo, /the start is thin (if its not been completely smashed up) and hard for the grade but above that pretty straight forward...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...