UKC

Zero G wires as 2nd set of nuts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr-Cowdrey 01 Jul 2010
i have a set of wires sizes 1-10 which consists of WC rocks and DMM wallnuts. im looking at getting another set of nuts and am thinking about the Zero G wires. is this a good choice or shall i go for the DMM offsets instead?? any other suggestions?

thanks
 Skyfall 01 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

I think most people would have a set of wallnuts 1-10 (ish) and rocks 1-10 (ish). You may be best sorting out two sets of those before looking any further.

There is strange thing where a lot of placements are actually worn to that sort of shape and some of the more esoteric shapes don't actually ft too well.

For my money, I'd get Metolius lightweight curved nuts as my "esoteric" set.
 petestack 01 Jul 2010
In reply to JonC:
> I think most people would have a set of wallnuts 1-10 (ish) and rocks 1-10 (ish).

Perhaps I'm not 'most people', but I've stopped carrying my Rocks since I got my Offsets and now normally carry Wallnuts and Offsets as my 'core' nuts.
 Skyfall 01 Jul 2010
In reply to petestack:

yeh, big generalisation there i know, sorry
 petestack 01 Jul 2010
In reply to JonC:

Nothing to be sorry about... you expressed one opinion, I expressed another and that's fair enough!
OP Mr-Cowdrey 02 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: maybe then i should get the offsets, or another set of WC rocks? what size range does the DMM offsets cover?
 sutty 02 Jul 2010
In reply to petestack:

Different strokes, you will rarely climb on grit, most people will mix that, volcanics, limestone and some slate.

I would say to OP to get something like yours however unless doing a lot of slate when he may need some small wires. Till he goes there something different to what he already has.
 CurlyStevo 02 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: I own one full set of wc rocks and another full set of dmm wallnuts. I'm happy with that and find I use the sideways flaring placement for offset cracks which I find are rarer than the standard placements. Horses for courses though. Why not buy an offset and see if you like it or not.
 ChrisHolloway1 02 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: I have the Zero G wires they are excellent for the price and a useful second set. I also have the offsets as well, if you can only afford one or the other get the offsets, they are fantastic!
 Wallm0nkey 02 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: I think it might just of been what I'm used to using but had a day where I tried my friends zero g nuts and just didn't get on with them too well. They just didn't seem to seat as well think it might of been the shape I didn't have enough time playing with them after never even seeing them before. You may get on with them though think it was more down to me then the nuts.
 Blue Straggler 02 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Get a set of TriCams instead
deadahead 02 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

I second Petestack and Chris' comments: the DMM Offsets are brilliant. Since getting them, I've carried the 7-11 set on every grit route I've done and at least one (if not several) of them gets used on pretty much every route. I've now got the brass 5 and 6 but haven't yet used them, although I'm sure they'll be great as well. I've not done much limestone with them, so can't comment on how well they work there.
 Monk 02 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Zero G wires are ok. Not quite as nice as more expensive ones and the wires are floppier. As a second set, they will be fine. One thing to be aware of, is that the sizing is different to DMM/WC. The smallest sizes are smaller (and weaker) than a size 1 rock/wallnut.
 rusty_nails 02 Jul 2010
In reply to ChrisHolloway1:
> (In reply to Mr-Cowdrey) I have the Zero G wires they are excellent for the price and a useful second set.

I have to agree!

They really are nice nuts, and great value!
 martiny25 02 Jul 2010
In reply to rusty_nails:
I have the zero-g wires as a main set and a half set aswell and find them really good, have used a few rocks and find they are harder to get seated than the zero-g but the rocks tend to seat in more placements than the zero-g, just my opinion but you cant really go wrong with them as they do cover a larger range than most wires
 Leo Woodfelder 03 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: I have the zero g as a second set and have found them to be top notch for the price.
 mrchewy 03 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: Rock and Run were selling WC Classic sets for under 40 notes a couple of weeks ago
 Blue Straggler 06 Jul 2010
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

I have a full set of Zero G wires as Cotswold were selling them cheaply. They are fine in terms of chock shape. Bit "old-fashioned", none of the sexy shaping of a WallNut or Stopper or Metolius nut etc.

However after about 12 months, one is showing some wear - a single strand of wire has "pinged", which obviously weakens it by an amount unknown until destructive testing. So I'm retiring that one.
I have much older nuts from a variety of manufacturer, all of which have seen more action than the Zero Gs IMHO, and they are fine.
It might be that the nut in question was unfortunate enough to have the wires run over a particularly sharp edge or something. Thought it worth a mention. They have nonetheless justified the purchase (think I paid about £37 for 11!), still got 9 good 'uns.
They are the exact same nuts that Decathlon used to sell as Kong Nuts. And funnily enough I have a Kong nut (much older, in fairness, maybe had it for 5 years) which also has a "pinged" wire. Again, it has already proved its worth and I don't really mean to scaremonger or slate the (UIAA rated of course) manufacture.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...