UKC

The Great Climb aka The Usual Suspects - anyone get a copy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr Toph 28 Aug 2010
I was out working all day and iPlayer is now saying its not going to allow it to be seen after the fact!
Please somebody tell me they managed to grab a copy from the player while it was streaming? Hate to miss this!
heres hoping.....
 Mike Nolan 28 Aug 2010
In reply to Dr Toph: Well iPlayer says coming soon to me. Normally means it will be up by tomorrow afternoon.
 Shona Menzies 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Dr Toph:

I missed the lot and i want to see it !!!

How can i ???

Help !!!
In reply to Naedanger: I've got it recorded on the Sky+, is there any way to get it off the box?I wouldn't mind sending it through to those folks who can't access the iplayer (abroad or suchlike) if there is a way?
 jon 29 Aug 2010
In reply to carrot_boy:

Yeah... me me me, please!
In reply to jon: but you've not ansered the question, can I get the programe off the sky+ box?
 muttley_109 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Dr Toph: Yeah if anyone does know how to get a recording off a sky+ box let us know.
 Petarghh 29 Aug 2010
In reply to muttley_109: Im sure if you googled it there will be some info on how to do it.
 Turfty 29 Aug 2010
In reply to muttley_109:

Presuming you are connectred to DVD recorder:

tv guide - planner (green button) - copy (red button)
In reply to Turfty: DVD Recorder!!! do you think I'm made of money!
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Dr Toph: I'm watching it on iplayer right now...
 Gilly McArthur 29 Aug 2010
In reply to carrot_boy:
The whole programme is on iplayer now. Enjoy!
 tim000 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Dr Toph: just watched the first 2 pitches. pretty amazing to watch. but does anyone else find it really annoying the way the commontator talk over the climbers.
 stewieatb 29 Aug 2010
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to Dr Toph) just watched the first 2 pitches. pretty amazing to watch. but does anyone else find it really annoying the way the commontator talk over the climbers.

It gets better later on.
feepole 29 Aug 2010
In reply to tim000:
I got the impression that the communications weren't working as well as they could be.

Camera operators were zooming in and out, refocussing, and wiping rain off their lenses while their camera was live. A sure sign that comms were not working as they should be.

I suspect this may have had something to do with the rain and wind though, and didn't detract from a great event.
 Erik B 29 Aug 2010
In reply to carrot_boy: any joy getting this off your sky box? theres lots of us abroad who cant watch iplayer which is highly frustrating
Not sure how to copy from a Sky box, I'm afraid, but to access iplayer from abroad, you just need to find a VPN based in the UK.
 jon 29 Aug 2010
In reply to carrot_boy:
> (In reply to jon) but you've not ansered the question, can I get the programe off the sky+ box?

Err, I don't know what a Sky+ box is, I'm afraid!

jonnie3430 29 Aug 2010
In reply to Dr Toph:

On the other thread someone has described how you can get access to iplayer from abroad. I watched it this morning and very much enjoyed it. I laugh at what must have been the concept: "somewhere really hard that rain can't disturb the climbing so we can have a live tv broadcast." Dave and Tim must be over the moon that it worked as well as it did!
Sky Technician 29 Aug 2010
In reply to carrot_boy:

No, I'm afraid not. The USB ports on a sky+box carry a current, but that's all (for the moment) - you will not be able to see the contents of the hard drive, and even if you could you would not be able to play back the content as it is recorded as an encoded stream and unencrypted by the Sky box at the point you play it back.

Soz
 NorthernRock 29 Aug 2010
In reply to carrot_boy:

Plug the scart into your DVD/video recorder, and record it just as if it's being broadcast.
 Shona Menzies 30 Aug 2010
In reply to Jonathan Emett and Carrot boy:

Thaaaanks !
 henwardian 30 Aug 2010
In reply to Dr Toph: Patience Topher
Anonymous 30 Aug 2010
In reply to Dr Toph: Watch the first 25 minutes and the last 25 and that should just about cover it. It was pretty dull from a climbing perspective, but quite enjoyable as a window into life in the Hebrides. Andy Kirkpatrick had it right when he taled about how boring watching someone climb really is...but the firat and last 25 miutes tell you all you need to know.
 TobyA 31 Aug 2010
In reply to Chi Cheng: I met a bloke a in a pub who said his wife's brother-in-law's best mate is halfway through downloading a copy now via that torrent, and to say thanks very much to you for setting it up for those people outside of the UK who couldn't find a more legit way of watching it!
 Jonny2vests 31 Aug 2010
In reply to Chi Cheng:
> (In reply to Dr Toph)
> if you want a torrent of the show
>
> http://eztv.it/ep/22198/bbc-the-great-climb-2010-sron-uladail-x264-ac3-hdtv...

Or you can try get_iplayer, which will download anything from iplayer.
 Doug 31 Aug 2010
In reply to TobyA: Maybe now is the time for me to learn about these 'torrents'
 TobyA 31 Aug 2010
In reply to Doug: For Macs you can download some software called Transmission: http://www.transmissionbt.com/ I was told by a bloke in the pub who said his wife's brother-in-law's mate (etc.) found that it was really easy to set up and then use in comparison to past bit torrent software he had used for a PC. There the aforementioned person had had to spend ages trying to work out what 'ports' do and how to open one on the PC. With Transmission on your mac supposedly you just click on the link, go to the site, click on the torrent download, and then Transmission will open and start downloading what you need. Reputedly it takes time as its a 4GB file, so best to leave the computer overnight downloading.
 Doug 31 Aug 2010
In reply to TobyA: sounds like the bars of Helsinki are full of folk giving useful advice

ps - are you now Dr Toby ?
mike swann 31 Aug 2010
In reply to Dr Toph: I've been trying to download the iPlayer desktop for windows; I just keep getting the whirly bar that implies it's doing something but it never stops. Anybody managed to do the install?
 TobyA 31 Aug 2010
In reply to Doug:
> sounds like the bars of Helsinki are full of folk giving useful advice

Amazing isn't it? Normally they just want to warn you about the Russians...

> ps - are you now Dr Toby ?

Passed my viva, but have some changes to make now. So technically no, but soon. Resisting the temptation to change my UKC name to Dr. TobyA.

Jonny2vests 31 Aug 2010
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Doug)
> [...]

> Passed my viva, but have some changes to make now. So technically no, but soon. Resisting the temptation to change my UKC name to Dr. TobyA.

Yeah, only gits do that.

Dr J2V.

Worth having it on your passport maybe... although you may get random requests to 'have a look at someones wife' whilst on a plane. Which could be good or bad...
 Fraser 31 Aug 2010
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Doug)
> [...]
>
> Resisting the temptation to change my UKC name to Dr. TobyA.

Keep resisting - as J2V said, it's really quite sad when folk do that!

TobyA 31 Aug 2010
In reply to Fraser: Are you being rude about this thread's originator? How about TobyA PhD then? Better.

p.s. I wasn't being terribly serious.
 Erik B 31 Aug 2010
In reply to TobyA: is that software you mention better than UTorrent? also, I dont really understand that link page, what do download mirror #1 ,2,3,4,5 relate to? ive clicked on download mirror 1 and its running at a painful 1kb giving me an eta of over a week!!!
 Lemony 31 Aug 2010
In reply to Erik B: They're very similar. I use Transmission FWIW
 Paz 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Dr Toph: It's not very downloadable for me. I would suggest iunvestigating third party applications designed for such a purpose. you're an intelligent chap now, you don't need me to tell you how to do everything...
 simon geering 01 Sep 2010
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to Dr Toph) just watched the first 2 pitches. pretty amazing to watch. but does anyone else find it really annoying the way the commontator talk over the climbers.

Yes, although the comentry was well done and i can see it would of been helpful to the general audience, i found it was really anoying, hope they drop the comentry audio on the DVD, as it would be nice to get more of the climbers thought process from their discussions.
 TobyA 01 Sep 2010
In reply to Erik B:
> ive clicked on download mirror 1 and its running at a painful 1kb giving me an eta of over a week!!!

I don't really understand how it works but I think once you have some bits to share back into the network (or other torrents to share), the download speed goes up. I reckon I got the file which is huge in about 24 hours.

I just can't get it to play properly now! But I haven't updated VLC for years so maybe this file format needs the newest version of the player. I will try more this evening. I get good sound, distorted or grey picture and it crashes VLC if I try FFWing.
 John_Hat 01 Sep 2010
In reply to TobyA:

Plays fine here and took me about 6 hours to get it. re playing issues try getting and installing the mega codec pack (google it). If you have apple software installed though remember to untick the quicktime option though otherwise the codec pack and ITunes tend to have a barney.
 mattrm 02 Sep 2010
In reply to John_Hat:

Is it just me or is the file in the torrent only about 2 hours long? I thought the whole thing was 5 hours long? Ah well, I'll most likely buy it on DVD anyway when it's released that way.
 TobyA 02 Sep 2010
In reply to mattrm:

> Is it just me or is the file in the torrent only about 2 hours long? I thought the whole thing was 5 hours long?

I think it is the version that went on to iPlayer - they show replays of bits of the early pitches, but on little bits.
 Lemony 02 Sep 2010
In reply to TobyA: The version on iplayer is 5 hours long, that's the highlights show that was on BBC HD.
 mattrm 02 Sep 2010
In reply to Dr Toph:

Ah well, I'll have to watch it on iplayer this evening, I want to see the full thing, not just the highlights.
 lithos 02 Sep 2010
In reply to TobyA:

> Passed my viva, but have some changes to make now. So technically no, but soon. Resisting the temptation to change my UKC name to Dr. TobyA.

nice one- how about Doc.T.A.

GrahamPye 02 Sep 2010
In reply to lithos:

OTOH, having Dr on your driving licence can be an advantage when you're tugged for speeding, you can say you're on your way to an urgent case.

Well it worked for my mate who has a PhD in Electronics
pkmember 07 Sep 2010
http://watch-tv-abroad.com gives you a step by step video on how to set up a proxy connection so you can play BBC iplayer and other restricted online tv sites from abroad. I encourage you to visit http://watch-tv-abroad.com so you don't get bored when on climbing adventures abroad.

Original Question
"..... to access iplayer from abroad, you just need to find a VPN based in the UK."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...