UKC

Brownstones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
harry spotter 10 Dec 2010
I've been a few times to brownstones but I just don't get it. Some people rave about the place. I think its alright at best. I have been to the 'parrs crack' area mainly. Is the place over rated or am I missing something. Thoughts?
 The Lemming 10 Dec 2010
In reply to harry spotter:

Just a local crag which holds many happy memories for some people.
 pinkie 13 Dec 2010

.... very polished in parts
 toad 13 Dec 2010
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to harry spotter)
>
> Just a local crag which holds many happy memories for some people.

Absolutely - first place me and my (now dead) mate went to climb after he passed his driving test. Would I make a weekend trip of the place now? - of course not, but I wouldn't have missed it then for the world
 Al Evans 13 Dec 2010
In reply to toad: THe sadly now deceased great climber Dave Pearce was once asked to describe it and he said 'It's as good as Cloggy?
 Lankyman 13 Dec 2010
In reply to toad: great memories here too - one of the first crags I ever trod as a kid (in Woolies pumps specially purchased in Bolton!). Camped in a pup tent in the valley just below - it's worth a weekend when you're 12 and keen!
 Adders 13 Dec 2010
In reply to harry spotter: nice problems, a bit on the high side for bouldering for my liking, vegetated top outs and a dank quarry setting.

It does have a kind of charm about the place and its loved by many.

Personally it reminds me of my scariest experience bouldering ever as i scrapped topping out a problem next to Digitation, near to decking.

toad 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Adders:
> Personally it reminds me of my scariest experience bouldering ever as i scrapped topping out a problem next to Digitation, near to decking.

of course when I climbing there, we called it... climbing

but I fell from almost the top of Ash Pit slab not long after I'd started, and rattled myself so badly that I think it's knackered my climbing head ever since.
 efrance24234 15 Dec 2010
In reply to harry spotter: as good as font! ... But i might be a little bias as i live 10 mins away
 Phase 21 Dec 2010
In reply to harry spotter: went a few times back in the summer and really enjoyed it.

It was more of a 'last blast' after wilton, than a dedicated days climbing.

this coming spring i intend on spending a lot more time there.....(and Pex of course)
 krenthefire 21 Dec 2010
In reply to harry spotter: Great place! Happy memories climbing there in the early 70,s not far from where I worked and I got some time off during the week so great place to go on your own too.

It's rubbish.

Don't ever go back.
 pinkie 06 Jan 2011
In reply to bentley's biceps:

why is it rubbish ? your comments please...
 Rampikino 07 Jan 2011

Marvellous spot for a bit of bouldering. I go back time and time again. First climbed there in 1993 and have been back regularly.

It's not rubbish, that's the stuff in the long grass.

Always enjoyed the traverses and good bouldering. Good if you are local but would you travel a long way to climb there?

Have you climbed at Pex???
In reply to Adders: To high? You are getting soft in your old age! (says he who han't ventured out for over a year!)

Brownstones is a lovely spot.
 rooroo 21 Jan 2011

Agreed, don't know why anyone goes there tbh, I'd stay away if I were you.
 Roger Vickers 31 Jan 2011
In reply to harry spotter: Wash thee mouth out we soap lad. This is best bouldering venue for miles. Lancashires finest,probably only surpassed by Craigy Longridge but don't tell Hank.
swalsh 10 Feb 2011
In reply to harry spotter: Yes, think you are missing something... warm evening, knowing the problems and eliminates, good craic, a few pints afterwards. I once went to Fountainbleau and had the same experience of missing something; chacun à son goût.
Camdaz 11 Feb 2011
>
> It's rubbish.
>
> Don't ever go back.

Totaly Agree worse place ive ever been to, and it attracts some weird folk aswell.
 Enty 11 Feb 2011

I come from that area (sort of) but crags like Bridestones, Earl and Widdop were only marginally further away so no contest really.

Actually, thinking about it, you're right, it's crap.

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...