UKC

Carnmore bothy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jess 29 Dec 2010
im planning a trip to carnmore in may and im just wondering if anyone has any idea what sort of state the bothy is in, is it usable?
 SonyaD 29 Dec 2010
In reply to jess: It's useable but it's a dump of a bothy. Take a bivi bag or poly sheet to stop your sleeping bag getting minging. There's a few old beds with mangy mattresses but if they're taken then you'll be sleeping on a dirt floor. Don't expect it to be warm. But it's shelter.
 paul-1970 29 Dec 2010
In reply to jess:
I haven't been to Carnmore for about 5 years, so my perspective may be totally out of date. However I haven't heard anything to the contrary that suggests it is wrong.

Carnmore is basically a barn. A dirt floor and a gaps at the sides too that allow the wind and - in the summer months - the midges in too.

It is/was watertight (if you sleep in the centre) and does provide a shelter of sorts. But it's a step below a usual bothy experience and more akin to a large doss.

I've slept there twice so, of course, the fact I went back does indicate it isn't THAT bad. But it's certainly not great, and the fact I returned was more to do with the paucity of shelter in a wonderfully remote location.
 richparry 29 Dec 2010
In reply to jess:

Last time I went there I decided if I ever went again I'd take my tent.
I thought it was a thoroughly miserable place.
Removed User 29 Dec 2010
In reply to jess:

The short answer is yes, it is usable. especially if you get the place to yourself.

It's an old byre or more probably a stable, so most of the floor is on a slope and cobbled. There's one bit near the door that's flat.

There's no fire IIRC but you won't need one in May.

Yrmenlaf 29 Dec 2010
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

(Taken in April)

Y.
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

I've always taken a tent and camped nearby, plenty of good spots.
 Andy Nisbet 30 Dec 2010
In reply to bentley's biceps:

That's fine, but some of us aren't fit enough to carry tent and climbing gear. It's a long way. The bothy is fine.
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

I should say I tend to cycle as far as the deer fence. For a weekend out, I've always found if quite reasonable.
 Fat Bumbly2 30 Dec 2010
I had a tent trashed there once in May. Fierce downdraughts off the crag. The byre was welcome then.
 SonyaD 30 Dec 2010
In reply to Removed User: Ooops, I should read the post more clearly! Didn't catch the May bit, thought the OP was thinking of winter.
 Andy Nisbet 30 Dec 2010

Yes I cycle there now. And it's reasonable for a weekend. But I still say don't take camping gear and climbing gear. And even for a day if you take neither and go soloing (but presumably on something easier than Carnmore Crag).
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Probably just me Andy, but my tent is only marginally heavier than the stuff I would take to sleep in the bothy so for me it makes sense.

But each to their own, and it can be a handy refuge on occasion.
 Jamie B 30 Dec 2010

I agree; my tent weighs 1.9kg which just doesnt seem like all that much extra to me. Last time I had one night on a cold stone floor (got in late) and another on flat soft grass in my tent. Guess which was better? (by miles)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...