UKC

Northumberland this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Haighy 03 Feb 2011
Is anywhere within public transport distance of Newcastle likely to be dry this Saturday?
 odox 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Haighy: Public transport?

Causey Quarry perhaps?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1040

Might be a tad dirty though..
In reply to Haighy: I think me and my friends are heading to northumberland this weekend, looks like the only place to get some climbing done this weekend.
 pigeonjim 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Haighy:
Been raining in Newcastle today. I suspect a lot of the sandstone will be wet and brittle this weekend.
In reply to Haighy: Sounds like an adventure to me
 Russell Lovett 04 Feb 2011
In reply to odox: Lots of Northumberland crags can be reached by public transport. Bowden doors and back bowden 1 hours walk from belford. Kyloe in and out just over 1 hour from fenwick. Simonside a bit longer but doable 2 hours from rothbury. Corby crag 1hour plus from anwick. And if you stick your thumb out you can usualy get a lift but don't rely on this on the way back. You can even get to callerhues by bus changing at Hexham and then on to Bellingham. I know I used to visit all these places regulaly by bus before I could drive, you just have to be keen and be prepaired to walk.
 graeme jackson 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Haighy: Crag Point is just over 1 hundred yards from the nearest bus stop. It's greasy and horrible at the best of times so a little rain won't make much difference.
 TheHorroffice 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Russell Lovett:

How about Shaftoe? Do you know of any buses out in that direction?
In reply to M.Taylor: Not sure about saftoe but you can get a bus to scots gap from morpth and you could walk to rothley in about 20mins from scots gap. Don't know how often they run though you,d have to check timetables for that
 Mark Savage 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Haighy:

> Is anywhere within public transport distance of Newcastle likely to be dry this Saturday?

Have you seen the weather forecast? I don't think anywhere is going to be dry.
There was heavy rain yesterday and it's been raining today.
Forecast is rain Saturday and Sunday, just for a change...
 JDal 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Haighy: How's about Jack Rock - less than 2 miles walk from Warkworth which is on the 518 Newcastle-Alnwick route. http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx?id=9591
OP Haighy 04 Feb 2011
I'm well aware there was torrential rain most of yesterday! Walked around in it for a while! Will probably give this weekend a miss due to the fact that I'll have to travel and things may well be very wet. Thanks for the advice though. One more week and its a weekend in Glencoe though.
In reply to Haighy: Snap, me to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...