UKC

Chequers Pub Froggatt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MGrock 08 Apr 2011
What a rip off this pub is, it used to be a climbing pub. Now poor service, small portions. What a shame. You have been warned.
 GrahamD 08 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock:

Its not exactly a pub either if all you want is a beer
 jimjimjim 08 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock: It's been crap for as long as I've been climbing...
While we're at it, what's the Robin Hood at birchin like now? I went in there a few years ago and spoke to the new landlord and lady of the time who had plans to make it a bit more climber friendly than the previous 'NO MUDDY BOOTS OR RUCSACKS IN THE BAR' fella....Hope they've made a success of it, they seemed nice.
 scott titt 08 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock:
They made me as welcome as a turd on a carpet.
 Fredt 08 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock:

It's never been a climber's pub,
I tend to pop in once every decade, and it's never been welcoming anytime in the past 5 decades.
 lowersharpnose 08 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock:

Yes it has been shit for ages.

The bar is tiny, they don't want drinkers they want diners.

I'm pretty sure the menu is mostly re-heated food supplied by 3663, as in most places like that, The Plough etc. Expensive crap.

I think the management have taken over the Sir Willimam in Grindleford too.
 winhill 08 Apr 2011
In reply to lowersharpnose:
> (In reply to MGrock)
>
> I'm pretty sure the menu is mostly re-heated food supplied by 3663, as in most places like that, The Plough etc. Expensive crap.
>
> I think the management have taken over the Sir Willimam in Grindleford too.

The Plough Inn on the Grindleford road?
 Hannes 08 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock: Well, I got a big shock last time I went into the Little John in Hathersage, it looks swanky now which is a bit wrong.
 lowersharpnose 08 Apr 2011
In reply to winhill:

Yep.

jasonC abroad 08 Apr 2011
In reply to Hannes:

How long ago was that - I went in for the first time a year ago and found it okay, had a few meals which had large portions and the beer was good.

J
 karen87 08 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock:

Rip off indeed! Never welcomed in there either.
 sutty 09 Apr 2011
In reply to Fredt:

>and it's never been welcoming anytime in the past 5 decades.

True, was no climbers when I first went there.

Turned Jack Longland away with other luminaries and he got them closed due to stopping the beer supplies through the old boy network.

I went in one day in smart casual while the rest of the climbing team waited outside, ordered all their drinks then went and told them we had got served. He told them they would not get served so we never paid for the drinks, just left him to throw them away.

Grouse up the road is good, and only as far from the car park.
 Al Evans 09 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock:
> What a rip off this pub is, it used to be a climbing pub. Now poor service, small portions. What a shame. You have been warned.

I can't ever remember the Chequers being a climbing pub, and that's fron 1965 to present day, climbers avoided it with a barge pole as they were just not welcome.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Apr 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to MGrock)
> [...]
>
> I can't ever remember the Chequers being a climbing pub, and that's fron 1965 to present day, climbers avoided it with a barge pole as they were just not welcome.

Agreed - at least from 1969.

Chris
 Bulls Crack 09 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock:

Len Milsom told me a tale when I met him of the pub throwing the Valkyrie out and they went round later and put the windows in!
 GrahamD 11 Apr 2011
In reply to jimjimjim:

I was really pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and beer in the Robin Hood last time I was in there maybe 9 months ago (the walkers bar at the back with the pool table, that is)
 Pete Ford 11 Apr 2011
In reply to GrahamD:

They didn't make a fuss when the wife and I went in to the main bar with the children for a meal after a walk around birchen and Gardoms edges on a wet Saturday lunchtime.
Lovely food and an reasonable pint, about 18 months ago.

Pete

P.S Couldn't sit in the other bar, it was full of bl@*dy climbers and walkers!!!
 Jonny2vests 11 Apr 2011
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to MGrock) It's been crap for as long as I've been climbing...
> While we're at it, what's the Robin Hood at birchin like now?

I had a party in their function room last Oct - brilliant. The room was free, and we got an awesome spread for £5 a head. Norfolk Arms wanted £600 just for the room!

I understand the current tenants (of the Robin Hood) were looking to sell it on though.

Never been in the Chequers, but I've had some pretty dire experiences in the Fox House and I've now given up with the place.
 wilkie14c 11 Apr 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:
Had a great meal in The Castle <Castleton> the other night, some good beers on too. Nearer to our campsite we bobbed in a pub in Hope and that was a strange experience - half pub half Chinese resterant!
My fave Peak pub is the Lazy Trout, sat in the beer garden looking up to the Roaches. Great.
 Tamati 11 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock:

2nd for The Grouse!

Good beer, excellent well priced food and certainly not small portions.

Friendly staff.
 dickie01 11 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock:
It's all about the Grouse!
 dickie01 11 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock:
I had a steak there the other day that was the size of a french mans berret
In reply to MGrock:

It's been a dump for at least ten years. Time to rename the routes called after it if you ask me. Works with football stadiums.

jcm
 malc 11 Apr 2011
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Its the Grouse for me....pint of deuchars and a bag of cheese and onion crisps after a day on the grit..heaven. And the Gammon is the size of a dinner plate!
 Ropeboy 11 Apr 2011
In reply to MGrock:

While the Grouse is my usual pub of choice, I find the Chequers fine. We've often had a drink and meal in there.

It also has one of the loveliest beer gardens I know of.

J
 Conf#2 11 Apr 2011
In reply to GrahamD:

Yeah, really love the Robin Hood Inn. Been for a pint/crisps there on 25th Dec for the past 15 yrs or so and It's been pretty much consistantly ace.
 Jon Stewart 11 Apr 2011
In reply to malc:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously) Its the Grouse for me....pint of deuchars and a bag of cheese and onion crisps after a day on the grit..heaven. And the Gammon is the size of a dinner plate!

C'mon, it's the steak pie that makes the Grouse and you know it.
tri-nitro-tuolumne 12 Apr 2011
In reply to Ropeboy:

Yup, have to agree about the beer garden. It seems strange but there's a dearth of decent beer gardens in the Peak.

The food's excellent as well, although it ain't cheap. It's more of a pub themed restaurant than a pub with a restaurant.

You can't really infer anything about the current landlords from the actions of previous landlords (especially in regard to not serving climbers). There's been at least three owners in the last ten years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...