UKC

What phone should I get?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 20 Jun 2011
Hi everyone,

More and more I am discovering how much easier my working life would be if I could pick up email (and perhaps do very simple website tasks) on my phone.

Which one should I get?

I currently have two SIM cards - one for the UK and one for France, and I guess that means I need an 'unlocked' phone? Also I heard that the new iPhones use small SIM cards, but you can cut the bigger ones down if you are careful...?!

Could always just get a new SIM/contract if it really makes sense I suppose.

I use a Mac for all my work (not sure if that makes a difference). Also we have some iPhone apps for UKC (other platforms possibly catered for in the future), so it may well be important to get an iPhone for now - not sure.

Budget is (very) tight. Second hand from Ebay is fine.

What would you recommend? At both ends of the price spectrum? How much cash am I looking at?

Thanks for any advice,

Jack
 Tom Last 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor:

Couldn't recommend a good one, because mine's shite. So don't get an LG!
Wonko The Sane 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Well I love my HTC Desire HD. A second hand one on Ebay would still set you back £280 or so though I'm afraid.

Push mail is fantastic. When I get a mail, a ticker tape goes across my phone with the name of the person and the first line or so of the mail........ so you can ignore or answer as you see fit. I find it really useful. It's obviously very easy to share photos etc. You can read PDFs and office docs. You can get a cheaper HTC HD2 second hand....... maybe £150, it isn't proper android but it does function very well (my previous phone)
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: I'm going to get a Motorola Defy when my contract expires next month. Shock, water and scratch resistant but still a fully functioning Android phone. I phones are good but over priced IMO. The best phones for emailing are Blackberry but I have heard that they are experiencing some financial difficulties at the moment so I'm not sure what their future is likely to be.

Al
 Mike Nolan 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: I really don't think that Blackberrys are better at emailing than iPhones, or other smart phones to be honest. Infact, I'd go as far as saying emailing on my iPhone seems even easier than email on a Blackberry.
 thin bob 20 Jun 2011

my meagre gleanings from talking to friends...iphones work brilliantly with macs..but the battery life is only a day and you can't pop a new one in like you can with other phones. apps are fun/useful... 2 peoples locked up this weekend for no reason. Stuck with apple prods.

Blacberry is more secure (their own servers rather than phone network?) & better 'for business users'.

HTC look good (and possibly my next phone). Only read about them and had a play with a couple.

Nokia seem to have fallen behind a bit, but they were great. never got on with sony.
 thin bob 20 Jun 2011
I've got a nokia E71 that is now a few years old, so should be cheap. battery life good, ok camera, can put memory cards in it, full keyboard, metal case.

Can have push email {where it all gets sent to your phone] or go on the web & get it.
works great for reading UKC on the po
OP Jack Geldard 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Thanks for the answers so far.

Still looking and learning - anything else appreciated.

J
 inboard 20 Jun 2011
I'd disagree about iPhone battery life, I use mine pretty heavily (emailing, reading books, listening to music, sometimes even satnav (the tomtom app is good). And the battery usually lasts me two days - less if satnav being used all day on a long drive though.

iPhone is great. had blackberry & palm before now, and I think the email is perfectly fine - if not better - on the iphone. they work fine with PCs (we had 20 iPhones at work, with PCs).

they're really useful for getting forecasts, avalanche forecasts etc when out & about.
In reply to ook:

Battery life is a bit of a red herring.
You get used to having a charger in your car, office and home. If you're out on a camoing trip, hopefully you won't be on your phone 24/7 anyway! I do carry a spare, fully charged battery and you can swap with the HTC (someone said you can't with the apple??? Why?)
 Helnorris 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Would deffinatley recommend the I phone. Brillant for all you said you need it for and with it being apple would be fab with a mac.

Although they are a little bit pricey, but deffinatly worth the money. You may be able to pick up and an I phone 3 off ebay though for cheaper

Toerag 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Motorola Defy looks like the ultimate climbing smartphone due to it's toughness - bonus that you can change the battery as well. I'm gonna get one.

In reply to Mike Nolan: Yes not sure why I mentioned it in this context but in a corporate environment I can assure you that the Blackberry is better. My former company did many months of research into mobile phone use before coming to that conclusion by the way.

Al
 John_Hat 20 Jun 2011

I have two phones, work and personal. Work is a Blackberry, personal is an HTC desire. Both do email and web.

Which keyboard you can get on with is important. Some people hate the blackberry, some hate the touch-screen, there's no point getting a phone if you can't use the keyboard, hence I'd suggest getting into a shop and trying it.

Web is (much) better on the desire, but i prefer the blackberry keyboard.

Useful point to make is that the android phones are much more "open" than the iphone and more apps are available. Also the Iphone is geared towards music/video play as a main task, whereas whilst the HTC can do it - and does it very well - its main focus is web/email/organisation of my life

My personal favourite app for the HTC is the app which senses what speed you are going (when driving) and diverts all incoming calls to voicemail and sends the caller back a text saying you are driving and will get back to them soon
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Google sky is pretty awesome on the Desire HD too.
 TobyA 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Toerag:
> Motorola Defy looks like the ultimate climbing smartphone due to it's toughness - bonus that you can change the battery as well. I'm gonna get one.

I looked quite seriously at them because of the toughness factor but they got very mixed reviews on Amazon.co.uk Some loved them but then other people got ones with manufacturing faults and therefore they just didn't work well. Reviews that are either 1 or 5 stars are the least useful!

Jack - I got an HTC Desire, and it is pretty impressive. I got a some decent deal with a 2 year contract so the price of actual phone wasn't an issue, the handset is unlocked though so I could swap sim cards if I want. Basically it does everything - a little computer really. Typing on the touch screen is good if not perfect, my fat fingers lead to.hitting.the.full-stop.instead.of.the.space.bar.often! But really, its not a biggy. All email and web stuff is easy.

The only thing is the battery life, but being HTC I bought a second battery via Amazon for 7 quid so can take a spare on say, an overnight backpacking trip where I might want to blog from campsite or something silly like that!

Morgan Woods 20 Jun 2011

maybe go for a iphone 3gs second hand in order to use your existing sims. I have had one for 16 months and it hasn't skipped a beat and battery is still ok. Not sure a 4 is that much better.
 Stone Idle 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Sorry Jack - you might nbe as well of with a used i-phone but all our office (with exception of 2 apple tarts) have gone for the blackberry option. Great and as intuitive as apple. The battery neds recharging every other day and that is with solid use - great system
 bobtheclimber 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: you can probably pick up a second hand 3gs for around £200,well i did(2nd hand never used) probably one of the best purchases i have made in as long as i can remember
OP Jack Geldard 20 Jun 2011
In reply to whatalegend123: Thanks everyone, will look at second hand IPhone 3's tonight.

Also will check out the Blackberry and HTC prices.

J
 Tamati 20 Jun 2011

>
> Budget is (very) tight. Second hand from Ebay is fine.
>

Aren't they paying you enough Jack?

chalkyjim 20 Jun 2011

Jack I work with your Glen. Might have an iPhone available depending what upgrade contract I get offered. I'll give you first dibs on it if I end up getting a new one. I'll know on the 22nd

Jim
 CurlyStevo 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Tamati: the fact iPhone can't do flash is a bit crap, I'll be buying something else next time if they haven't rectified the situ, I hear apple and adobe don't get along!
 cfer 20 Jun 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Tamati) the fact iPhone can't do flash is a bit crap, I'll be buying something else next time if they haven't rectified the situ, I hear apple and adobe don't get along!

<discreet cough>

jailbreak then install Frash app

<discreet cough>

CurlyStevo 20 Jun 2011
In reply to caseyfather:
Does that integrate properly with safari?
 David Hooper 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Ive used,dropped and abused an old BB Bold for over 2 years and it still performs well - battery still holds a good charge. Just given it to a hard up friend in Bethesda and he is made up with it.

IVE JUST GOT A DEAL ON THE NEWW bb Torch and am very happy so far - excellent touch screen, but slide out keyboard not as useable as Bold.

Wityh frugal usage I COULD GET 5 DAYS BATTERY LIFE OUT OF MY OLD bOLD ON EXPEDITION

ALso dont forget that the BB Playbook Tablet is coming out imminently and pairs seemlessly with the BB phone.

BB email is superb.
 cfer 20 Jun 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo: Mine does but I did hear of problems with it when it first came out, never had a problem using it, although if I had not jailbroken it I would not have the iphone, it opens up so much more having it done.
In reply to David Hooper: Hey Hoops! Get a solar charger I have one for my BB. Sun,sun,sun,sun,sun,sun!
 Col Kingshott 20 Jun 2011

Jack, I am a technophobe and struggle to find any interest in all these fancy phones. However, i got a reasonable deal on an iPhone 4 for my contract upgrade on Vodafone. They are brilliant, my wife has a HTC and thinks that is brilliant as well.

iPhones have more and better apps available and will link into your mac better. If you also have an ipod you can link all 3 via your laptop, so you can download music on your phone (if you're out and hear a song you like for example) then upload it via the computer to your ipod. You can't link any other phone to itunes.

There are plenty of protective cases available for most phones.

I reckon you'll probably find a good deal on an iPhone 4 soon as they are bringing out a new one.

Rgds,

Col.
 veteye 20 Jun 2011
I have looked at 'phones recently, and ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy S II, which also is the recommended one by PC Pro magazine.It certainly has a bigger screen than an I-phone, and better resolution.Along with that it has an 8mp camera, which produces much better pictures than any other telephone,but then again you have a camera.I find it a little large,but I am only just getting to figure out all the functions available.
I would also consider the HTC Wildfire which is a scaled-down smartphone, and may be a good compromise.
 David Hooper 20 Jun 2011
In reply to colk1000: BB syncs with itunes
 Stuzz 20 Jun 2011

I got the Motorola Defy a few months back and have been getting on really well with it so far. Its been dropped, splashed etc a few times and not come to any harm. I haven't been brave enough to drop it in a pint yet though! Battery life is good on it (good few days if its just sitting on standby, almost 2 days if using wifi, internet, txting, calling etc.)
You can also get spare batteries with a bigger charge capacity for about a fiver on ebay.

It seems to work pretty well, functions well, easy to use etc. It has frozen on me a few times but never anything turning off and on again won't solve.
Its the 1st smartphone i've had so not got much to compare it to but its going well for me so far. Plus to buy new its only about £250, not £400!

Definitely worth another look
 jamestheyip 20 Jun 2011

Saw this in Tesco today and thought it would make an ideal phone for the mountains:

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/4802/blue-chip-big-button-bc5i-mobile-...

No SIM & ready to use on any network, big gloves friendly buttons, , extra loud volume, one touch dialing, FM radio, and even a torch!

youtube.com/watch?v=idX8qZImUCc&
 ERU 20 Jun 2011
I got the Orange San Francisco (aka ZTE Blade) for £80 new. It's an Android phone that does everything the iPhone does. You on a budget - get that!

There are always deals to be had on it and it's VERY easy to unlock and mod. Look on UKHD for more info on it. If you can get a HTC cheap ... even better as Android is a zillion times better than iPhone!
 ChrisJD 20 Jun 2011

I've always hated mobiles, but have been a total convert with a 'HTC Desire Z' (flip out keyboard).

The keyboard is a winner for me and android just seems to work and do everything I want - i.e. its a mini computer.

needvert 21 Jun 2011

Love my HTC Desire. I don't bother with a case, so far the largest drop has been two meters onto concrete while loading roof racks. A few scratches but no damage! It was at that point I stopped considering my non-glass screen a downside.
 Puppythedog 21 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Got my IPhone 4 a few weeks ago. Tinkering has lead to me managing the battery better and now it doesn't die on a daily basis. I have mac at home, I love this phone I sync two mail accounts to it, i have push turned off because they are personal and I want to save my data for when on wifi. I cannot compare it to other phones. My instinct tells me that especially as a mac user this was the best choice, so intuitive, so easy.
Expensive though. £45 per month for 18 months with as much. Call time etc as I can use. Worth it if you have the cash,
 SGD 21 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: I upgraded to a HTC desire about 9 months ago now and its brilliant, no quibbles at all for what I need. I can surf the net, I have 2 email accounts sync'd and it's dead easy to use. The thing that sold it to me was the fact I went to get an Iphone but when I was in the shop and started asking a few questions (I'm a bit of a techy phobe) it came to light that 7 out of the 8 people working in the shop all had HTC's and the one that didn't openly said to me that they wished they had one and would be chaging ASAP. SOLD!
 Cypher 21 Jun 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: I've heard nothing but good things about the Samsung Galaxy S
 Toerag 15 Jul 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Toerag)
> [...]
>
> I looked quite seriously at them because of the toughness factor but they got very mixed reviews on Amazon.co.uk Some loved them but then other people got ones with manufacturing faults and therefore they just didn't work well. Reviews that are either 1 or 5 stars are the least useful!
>
I've now had my Defy since last friday - takes a bit of getting used to having never had a smartphone but I'm pleased with it in general - battery lasts over 2 days which is great. I've had none of the manufacturing faults others have had.
 odox 15 Jul 2011

If you are seriously considering the iPhone Jack I would wait for the next 'version' to be released which is expected soon http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone

June has been the usual release cycle so it's likely something will come out in the next month or two, knocking down the prices considerably.

I've used both an iPhone and (currently using HTC Desire). Originally apple led the way but I think Android has made leaps and bounds and the gap is now very small, apart from the price tags you won't notice much difference. The Androids 'ace' card is probably the free navigation app which is really very good.

Personally i'd probably buy an nexus s, you can get them at good prices and they work very well. My contract ends around November so i'm probably going to upgrade to the new nexus model which will hopefully be released around then!
 Thrudge 15 Jul 2011
In reply to Stone Idol:
> Sorry Jack - you might nbe as well of with a used i-phone but all our office (with exception of 2 apple tarts) have gone for the blackberry option. Great and as intuitive as apple.

I'm astonished. Whilst far from being an Apple fanboy, I find the iPhone OS a model of intuitive design. But every Blackberry I've seen has looked like the user interface was designed by a techno nerd with a grudge. Fiercely awkward, obscure and counter-intuitive.

I haven't got a Mac and I've got some reservations about iPhones - but I've got an iPhone and it's got by far the best front end of any phone I've seen. By comparison, Android phones are charming wannabe's and Blackberrys are Stone Age and clueless.
In reply to Tony Naylor: I've just this minute ordered a Motorola Defy Android phone. I looked at the iPhones and they are very nice but at more than double the annual line rental I've got this for??? I don't think so. They are overpriced. I also looked at the HTC range but I reckon the robust build of the Defy and the deal I have got clinches it for me and my limited requirements.

For anyone still interested, I've got a free handset on a 24 month contract with 100 minutes, 500 texts and 500BM for £21.50 a month but with some of that redeemable after a few months making the "real" cost £9.85 a month.

Al
 Brass Nipples 15 Jul 2011

Jack is it a phone you want or would a larger form facctor such as a small tablet be more suitable?

brianbrian 28 Jul 2011
iPhone 3gs and then you can protect it when out and about http://rockclimbinguk.co.uk/take-your-iphone-climbing-without-the-fear-of-w... and use all the apps and the like
 dazwan 29 Jul 2011
In reply to brianbrian: and I was getting used to a slimmer iphone after getting rid of my Otterbox Defender (which I cracked BTW).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...