UKC

Camping in LLanberis pass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pottsworth 06 Jul 2011
In the past when I've been in the pass, there have always been some people camping on the opposite side of the road from the Cromlech boulders.
I tried google and this site to find out if it is a campsite, but couldn't find anything, so was just wondering if there is an official campsite there, and how much it costs, or if there is a tolerated rough camping spot?
 GrahamD 06 Jul 2011
In reply to pottsworth:

Depends where you mean, exactly, but further down the road at the CC hut, camping is allowed there for CC members.
In reply to pottsworth: It belongs to the climbers club
In reply to airbournegrapefruit:
> (In reply to pottsworth) It belongs to the climbers club

No it doesn't, that is lower down the valley. I think the OP means the small patch of land between the wall and the stream. Some years ago someone used to come around and ask for money but to this day I'm still not sure if it was kosher.

Al
OP pottsworth 06 Jul 2011
In reply to pottsworth:
I haven't been there in a few months, but from memory it was pretty much directly across the road from the boulders, and not infront of a hut. Hence why I was wondering if it was just people rough camping
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: See and there was me taking the term 'campsite' a bit literally.

The old lady still comes around collecting money from people camped near the boulders, she got me on Saturday morning. My guess is that it is part of her families farm land, but I could be wrong.
 conorcussell 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: She still comes round and asks for "a pound for the farmer who's land it is!" I'm fairly sure it's not kosher. Mad Rosie i've been told people call her.

In reply to pottsworth: Is there any 1 part that it is fine to camp on, and any other part that is likely to get you a lot of agro? Just looking at google street view to try and work out where people had camped, and the bit opposite the boulders doesn't look at-all like I remembered
In reply to conorcussell: I wasn't too bothered about giving her a pound, especially after I made her wait until I'd pack my tent away before getting it out of the car.
 conorcussell 06 Jul 2011
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: Yeh, you'll be happy to know she carries change for a £20 as well!
In reply to conorcussell: I wonder if she takes switch?
In reply to pottsworth:
actually this must have been the place I was thinking of:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.090622,+-4.055892&num=1&t=h&sl...

Is this the CC hut, or something else?
J1234 06 Jul 2011
In reply to pottsworth: yes that is the CC hut.
In reply to pottsworth: Yes that is the CC hut. There also used to be "campsite" just to the left of the picture but that hasn't been available for some time now and unlikely to be available again as the property there has been restored to a very high standard.

Al
In reply to pottsworth:
Right, cheers
Does anyone know what the policy is for non CC members camping at the hut, or do you just have to email and ask?
In reply to pottsworth: It is for members and members guests only but if you are in a kindred club you could try here: http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/hut-booking/booking-nonmembers.php

Al
In reply to pottsworth:
aaah, do you know if they allow camping for recipricoal club members (ie Austrian Alpine Club)
In reply to pottsworth: The best I can advise it to fill in the form in the link I gave you and see. I'm a member but I don't really know about the specifics. What you most certainly cannot do is just roll up, you would have to make a prior booking.

Al
In reply to pottsworth:
Ok, thanks for the advice, I've sent them an email so we shall see.
If not is there any particular bit that is more of less tolerated for rough camping in exchange for the aforementioned £1 fee?
In reply to pottsworth: Your best bet is probably the spot you have mentioned directly opposite the Cromlech boulders.

Al
 Pete Potter 06 Jul 2011
In reply to conorcussell: Your corect with the name and if you get her on a bad day she is as mad as they come. She does however do an amaizing job and collects and gets rid of all the rubbish that is left (often by people camping) in the pass as the National Park argue it is not their job, so I would say that it is bloody good value for money.
 adam06 06 Jul 2011
we always called her the youwhoo lady... she's crazy
 sheep 06 Jul 2011
In reply to pottsworth:

Back in the early days of 'does my bum look big in this?' she came round for her (then) 50p. She was wearing some kind of lederhosen and asked us it they made her bum look big. It's hard to keep a straight face at that time of morning, when you've just spluttered coffee down the front of your t-shirt.
 Goucho 06 Jul 2011
In reply to pottsworth: You used to be able to camp over the wall of the
lay-by below the Grochan? It's a lovely spot for about 3/4 tents, right next to the stream.
andyathome 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Goucho:
Mad Rosie'll get you there as well!
 Goucho 06 Jul 2011
In reply to andyathome: Not if you give her a big snog!
 GrahamD 07 Jul 2011
In reply to pottsworth:

From the CC website on camping etc:

"Accommodation for 22; 6 bunks in members' room must be left for members. No external bookings on weekends and bank holidays. Superb camping (members only) next to the river."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...