UKC

Cav to Sky?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rubbishy 03 Aug 2011
Apparently the man who will still miss out on the BBC SPOTY to a footballer is due to announce his team for next year, at the weekend.

Much gossip going on as to whether he (and possbily Eisel, Renshaw and his mentor Aldag) will be joining Sky.

Firstly, there is no way Aldag will join Sky - he is admitted to doping so no Sky place for him. This might sway Cav. also, HTC is set up for him. so long as he can deal with the pressure I think he will stay. Stapleton has yet to find a sponsor, but I reckon the timing of the Cav annoncement is set to the timing of the new sponsor.

Sky have a reasonable train but nothing as slick as HTC, and there have been no rumours of grumbling from EBV about losing his position as the team's sprinter.

Several people have commented about it being a natural tie up with Wiggins, but I reckon Wiggins is over rated (Vockler and Van de Velde have more experience and potential) and Gee and Uran are the future of that team, assuming they do not join Garmin as GC contenders.

I could of course be talking bollox - it has been known in the past.

shaggypops 03 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby: He mentioned the missing ingredient to secure his services and it is not money..........me thinks it may be a certain mr Renshaw. I am not the best at making predictions however, but here goes....Cav Team SKY.
 Chris the Tall 03 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby: Hour long phone-in with him on 5 live yesterday, at which he confirmed he'd made his mind up, but obviously wouldn't spill the beans.

I'd say the big appeal of a move to sky would be to link up with British team With a view to the worlds and the Olympics. Yes these events aren't based around the pro-teams, but I'm sure having team mates in both senses would help. However cav's main focus is still the tdf, and for that I think he is better having the whole team based around him, rather than having multiple objectives as would be the case at sky.

Suprised highroad are having such difficulties getting a new sponsor, you'd think they'd be queueing up. No other team can guarantee such exposure. But yep, I'm with you, and reckon a new sponsor will be announced along with Cav's renewal. Then again, Velits has already gone to quick step.....
 Mike Highbury 03 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby: Excellent, we need get on with our speculation.

W couldn't captain a cub scout's football team and without Eisel or another 'captain on the road', C would be a fool to move to Sky. I do tend to feel that Geraint is off, isn't he?

BTW I guess that you have read the rather frustrating (don't bite the hand that feeds you) interview with Richard Moore about Sky on Podium Cafe, www.podiumcafe.com/2011/7/27/2295560/Richard-Moore
 IceKing 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Mike Highbury: I thought G signed a 3 year deal with Sky during the tour? Agree, that Cav has to stay with HTC, Sky will be spread too thin with GC, individual stages and green.
 Chris the Tall 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Mike Highbury:
> I do tend to feel that Geraint is off, isn't he?

Didn't he sign a new three year deal during the tour ?

Mike Highbury 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Mike Highbury)
> [...]
>
> Didn't he sign a new three year deal during the tour ?

Yes, of course you are right. So he'll stay for at least one more year.
 MJH 03 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby: G announced he was staying for another 3 years during the Tour.

It would make no sense for Cav to go without Eisel and Renshaw IMO and even then how does it work for Sky with split priorities? Can they really push GC and green jersey?

HTC is set up for Cav and even though I would love to see him in a "British" team I can't help feeling it wouldn't be the best for him or Sky.

Wiggins looked on absolutely cracking form this year. In many ways Cadel gave him a blue print for the Tour this year. VDV is someone who promises much and consistently fails to deliver.
 thermal_t 03 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby: Was encouraged to read Bradley Wiggins Twitter the other day:-

"1 year to go to London 2012, but more importantly 11 months to the 2012 TDF!"

Was worried he was going to go all track cyclist on us again! With a course rumoured to be less about the high mountains next year, it would have been a shame to see him shift his focus, can't say I have ever understood the British track cycling fetish!

Anyway if Wiggins had decided to make the Olympics his main focus I could have understood Sky wanting an almost guaranteed Green jersey. But as the situation is now I think they will stick with their GC focus. Hiring Cavendish wouldn't exactly fit with their mission statement of winning Yellow before whatever year they stated.
 Monk 03 Aug 2011
In reply to MJH:

>
> It would make no sense for Cav to go without Eisel and Renshaw IMO and even then how does it work for Sky with split priorities? Can they really push GC and green jersey?

That's my feeling too. As you say, Cav has the whole team around him in HTC - could he still do it without the other 8 men? Probably, but maybe not with such overwhelming regularity.

In reply to Monk:

In every interview Cav will always praise his team first, he knows just how much work they do to get him in to a winning position. I think the main doubt in his mind has been the uncertainty over future funding for the HTC team but with him winning the green jersey it's likely that sponsors will be forthcoming and that this will be dependent on Cav staying.

I don't see that a move to Sky will give him anything over and above what he already has at HTC. He's stated that financially the offers are basically the same but that winning races/stages is his bigger drive.

ALC
OP Rubbishy 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Just read it - thanks for that.

Interesting comment this:

it would seem that he has yet to sign a contract. So - and given some of the rumours flying around the press room during the Tour - events could yet transpire to prevent him joining Team Sky.

Cav reckons he only "finally" decided a the weekend".

I agree about Wiggins.

I have read both the Sky book and Millar's. Moore writes very well and it is certianly not a hagiography. Fergal seems to come across as a bit up his own arse in that interview.

The Millar book is superb. It makes you want to buy him a beer one minute then punch him on the nose the other.
 Swirly 03 Aug 2011
In reply to MJH: I've definitely heard or read Cav saying he will only go elsewhere in Renshaw and Eisel go to.
 Flatlander 03 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby:

Leopard -Trek

They have the money and are missing a spriter do to unfortunate events
but the team is built around winning the TDF

Or he will stay with HTC
In reply to John Rushby:

Just read "Slaying the Badger" and there is an interesting comment in there from Paul Kochli (the coach at La Vie Claire back in the day)saying that he wouldn't have wanted someone like Cav in his team as it would have interfered with the team's overall quest for the yellow jersey.

I would rather see Cav stay in a team built around him rather than dilute a team by going for both yellow and green.

Hopefully HTC as they are at the mo can get a new sponsor. Having watched Chasing Legends they seem to have a real good team thing going there.

Sam
 kevin stephens 03 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby:
> Apparently the man who will still miss out on the BBC SPOTY to a footballer is due to announce his team for next year, at the weekend.
>

Darts player surely?

Good for Sky but a tall order for the team to support Bradley to the podium in Paris and also be Cav's lead out team at the same time, expecially when Gerrant will be off for the Olympics
hang 'em high 03 Aug 2011
As tempting as the thought is of Wiggins, Thomas and EBH as part of a 9 man train along with Bernie, Renshaw and Cav, hammering (or maybe hacking?) away at the front of the peleton, I dont think its on.

Cavendish needs the full squad to be at his command, and only a fool would change the formula that puts his sponsors on the front page of L'Equipe for half of July. Likewise Wiggo needs to stay out of the action on the flat and save his energy for the hills so he wont want to get too involved.

So my 5p goes on Cav staying at High Road. But I suspect they will need a new sponsor...
OP Rubbishy 03 Aug 2011
In reply to hang 'em high:

Just of the phone.

News just in

HTC's new sponsor is UKC. Apprently is was the shirts that did it. La Sham is Cav's new lead out bint. Not 'cos she is fast, but so we can all cop a look at her arse.

Enty has sadly been prevented from taking his DS role due to the unfortunate 1998 Calpol incident, when he rode for Festinnards..
In reply to John Rushby:

Pished my pants!

So instead of Cav doing the sign of being on his HTC mobile when he crosses the finish line will he have to do a gurning mime of someone crimping an 8c?
 Yanis Nayu 03 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby: IMO Cav would do well to remember the old maxim of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
 shaggypops 03 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby: The team sky forum on facebook are talking about HTC merging with Vaconsoleil and Cav staying putt
 JLS 03 Aug 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

>"Pished my pants!"

Could be worse, I've heard terrible tails from 12 hours riders.
 Horse 04 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby:

Well he won't be riding for a team called HTC High Road:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/htc-highroad-disbands-after-fail...
 Flatlander 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Horse:
yep a lot of talent out for the grab!
 Yanis Nayu 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Horse: Hard to believe - if they're not worth sponsorship, difficult to see who is!
In reply to wayno265:
> (In reply to Horse) Hard to believe - if they're not worth sponsorship, difficult to see who is!

It may not be a case of are they worth sponsoring, but of how much it would cost to sponsor.
 Graham T 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:
Very true.
Hard to imagine another team giving as much ability to display the name.

Really wondering where cav will go, as surely to win as much he needs a team built for him, and that can't be sky surely
 AlisonSmiles 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Graham T:

It's a shame to see a team likely to go to the wall. Even more so because in the words of Cav they are a great team, and his wins are a team effort. This is not a group of also rans or would bes, it's a quality professional team. Real shame, and I hope the news of it folding is a kind of bluff to flush some sponsors out of the woodwork, I really do. Although for Cav of course the time has come to move on, he's made that clear.
 Graham T 04 Aug 2011
In reply to AlisonSmiles:
If its a bluff its one hell of a bluff
 The New NickB 04 Aug 2011

Busy day at work today Alison?
 JLS 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Horse:

I wonder if Cav had decided to go elsewhere and hence the prospective sponsors decided the team without Cav wasn't going to give them a return. I hope not but you gotta wonder...
 Chris the Tall 05 Aug 2011
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Horse)
>
> I wonder if Cav had decided to go elsewhere and hence the prospective sponsors decided the team without Cav wasn't going to give them a return. I hope not but you gotta wonder...

Yep, that's what I reckon, but it's still very odd

More here http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/aug/04/htc-highroad-mark-cavendish-sky

I suppose the "punching above our weight" is the crucial phrase - we know Cav felt a bit let down by the lack of bonuses from the sponsors, or rather the lack of appreciation as to how well the team performed. So he probably made it clear that without a substantial increase in budget, he'd be off. So the choice for the sponsors was pay much more for the same, or pay the same and get much less - neither would appeal.

Mind you, how many of us would be inclined to buy a HTC phone or Columbia jacket just cos Cav wins a stage. And I don't care if next year we have Wiggo in Yellow, Cav in Green and Gee in Polka Dot, I still wouldn't buy a sky box

Horse 05 Aug 2011
 MJH 05 Aug 2011
In reply to Horse: Intersting, but in some way quite ignorant. Anyone interested in pro-cycling will have known about the rest of the amazing talent on the HTC squad...Tony Martin, Renshaw, Eisel, Bert Grabsch etc - call amazing cyclists in their own way.
 Horse 05 Aug 2011
In reply to MJH:

Wasn't ignorance on the part of the sponsors perhaps the point he was trying to make.
 MJH 05 Aug 2011
In reply to Horse: Perhaps, but provided the sponsors were getting plenty of wins and exposure I am not sure why they would care.

Assuming that the amount of money involved was not out of step with other pro teams then it would seem that the sponsors just did not value enough what they got out of the deal.
 Chris the Tall 05 Aug 2011
In reply to MJH:
Last year Cav was always taking about Renshaw, this year it was Eisel, which makes me think that Eisel will be going with Cav to Sky and Renshaw and Goss will join this new Aussie team.
 Mooncat 05 Aug 2011

Don't think Sky would take eisel, Renshaw's said he'll go wherever Cav goes, Cav's said wherever he goes he wants Renshaw to go. Money can change that though.
 kevin stephens 05 Aug 2011
In reply to Mooncat:

Radioshack.......
In reply to kevin stephens:

And will Eric Zabel follow Cav too??
 tim000 05 Aug 2011
In reply to La Shamster:
> (In reply to kevin stephens)
>
> And will Eric Zabel follow Cav too??

sky wont take zabel because of his doping history.
 Enty 05 Aug 2011
In reply to MJH:
> (In reply to John Rushby) G announced he was staying for another 3 years during the Tour.
>
> It would make no sense for Cav to go without Eisel and Renshaw IMO and even then how does it work for Sky with split priorities? Can they really push GC and green jersey?
>
> HTC is set up for Cav and even though I would love to see him in a "British" team I can't help feeling it wouldn't be the best for him or Sky.
>
> Wiggins looked on absolutely cracking form this year. In many ways Cadel gave him a blue print for the Tour this year. VDV is someone who promises much and consistently fails to deliver.

I was going to post but Mike's summed it all up perfectly.

E
 Enty 05 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to hang 'em high)
>
>
>
> Enty has sadly been prevented from taking his DS role due to the unfortunate 1998 Calpol incident, when he rode for Festinnards..

It wasn't the Calpol - it was the cotrizamol I had slapped around my Jonny Ringo.

E
 balmybaldwin 08 Aug 2011
In reply to Enty:

Any one hear what is happenning? All I heard was that Highroad have disbanded...
fxceltic 08 Aug 2011
In reply to balmybaldwin: yes HTC wont be renewing their deal and the team is disbanding, no word from cav on his destination yet...
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to La Shamster)
> [...]
>
> sky wont take zabel because of his doping history.

But my question is will Cav stick with Zabel and make a team choice based on that?
 Toby S 08 Aug 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

Green Edge is the team that he's most recently been rumoured to be heading to. No news yet, he'd originally said he would announce something at the weekend so I wonder whether there's a load of last minute negotiations on the go?
 Henry Iddon 09 Aug 2011
In reply to Toby S:

Yup I'm hearing Greenedge as well. By two fingers to DB.
 andy 11 Aug 2011
In reply to JLS: So what does this mean for Cav? He was going to announce last weekend - but presumably the HTC fold stopped that. So where's he off then? Sky back in the frame?
 JLS 11 Aug 2011
In reply to andy:

Your guess is as good as mine!

I recon, as someone said earlier, it will be cav and eisle to the new team.
 Chris the Tall 16 Aug 2011
In reply to steve456:
Or Millar to Sky ?

Isn't his sister involved in the set up ? And of course DB is an old friend, so perhaps ready to forgive
OP Rubbishy 16 Aug 2011
> (In reply to steve456)
> Or Millar to Sky ?
>
> Isn't his sister involved in the set up ? And of course DB is an old friend, so perhaps ready to forgive

Can't see it myself.

Millar is part owner of Garmin and his drugs ban will prevent him from joining Sky, plus I suspect he does not want to be Wiggo's lead out man all over again.

Fran is the PR manager (I think) for Sky.
In reply to John Rushby:

I agree -- Sky's policy on drugs means that they would never sign Millar - even though he's a thoroughly reformed character.

MC to Garmin -- hmmmm -- though I guess Tyler Farrar's nose could be put out of joint at that move -- unless he was headed for The Shack.
In reply to John Rushby:

>>slight hijack<<

Apparently Thor will be at the T of B next month

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/thor-hushovd-to-make-tour-of-britain-...

La Shamster will prepare her post race stalkers kit for the Exmouth finish
 stewieatb 16 Aug 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

I'm hoping to marshall somewhere between Kirkby Lonsdale and Lancaster on stage 2 - but I don't have a car so if they put me somewhere further afield, I can't do it!

Cav to Garmin might make sense, but he has always said he needs Eisel.
psd 16 Aug 2011
In reply to stewieatb:

One of the reasons he needs Eisel though is to provide a strong captain on the road - someone with the brains and authority to keep the team working properly. Millar seems to do something similar for Garmin...

In all honesty though, I'd have thought the tweet is unlikely to refer to team matters.
 stewieatb 16 Aug 2011
In reply to psd:

Yeah, fair point. And you're right, it's unlikely the tweet was anything significant.
 Dominion 16 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby:

> Apparently the man who will still miss out on the BBC SPOTY to a footballer is due to announce his team for next year, at the weekend.

Didn't Geraint Thomas finish 99 places in front of Cavendish at the TDF, anyway?

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/54594000/jpg/_54594716_cavendish5.jpg

Presumably that was Team GB that was sponsored by Sky, not Cavendish personally?
In reply to Dominion:

Lol - I wondered that too. Is it a big f@@k off clue?

It must be true because I read the words Cavendish and Sky in the same sentence yesterday in Michael Palin's diaries
 stewieatb 16 Aug 2011
In reply to Dominion:

Yeah that's GB Team kit :P Sky are big sponsors of British Cycling (the organisation) and the GB Team, as well as their own Pro Team.
 andy 16 Aug 2011
In reply to stewieatb:
> (In reply to Dominion)
>
> Yeah that's GB Team kit :P Sky are big sponsors of British Cycling (the organisation) and the GB Team, as well as their own Pro Team.

And are also the employers of the athletic eamonn holmes, who was whinging about being held up by the olympic test event on sunday because "sport should be kept in a stadium". Nobber.
 stewieatb 16 Aug 2011
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to stewieatb)
> [...]
>
> And are also the employers of the athletic eamonn holmes, who was whinging about being held up by the olympic test event on sunday because "sport should be kept in a stadium". Nobber.

Hah, I forgot about that...
 AlisonSmiles 16 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby:
>
>
> Fran is the PR manager (I think) for Sky.

Fran is DB's Project Manager so does some work for both GB and for Team Sky. She'll be steering well clear of anything relating to her big brother though ... principles and all that. And I have no inside information either ...

> (In reply to John Rushby)
> [...]
>
And I have no inside information either ...

Darn it I was about to suggest we shamelessy bribe you to spill the beans
In reply to John Rushby:

Rumour mill says that Tony Martin could be about to sign with Quick Step.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...