UKC

Westerns

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DreadyCraig 23 Aug 2011
Decided I've not seen enough westerns, actually I've seen hardly any. Any recommendations?
 Hat Dude 23 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Something directed by John Ford

The Searchers - A brilliant film, one of my all time favourites

The cavalry trilogy; Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon & Rio Grande

Also the Anthony Mann films with James Stewart, The Man From Laramie, Naked Spur & Winchester 73

aln 23 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig: I recently enjoyed the remake of 3:10 to Yuma.
OP DreadyCraig 23 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:
What about any of the Clint Eastwood films, they worth getting?
 Fredt 23 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

The Man who Shot Liberty Valance
High Noon
The Seven Samurai
August West 23 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

I like the Clint Eastwood ones.

Also watch The Wild Bunch, Once Upon A Time In The West and for some light relief/comedy Blazing Saddles.
 anonymouse 23 Aug 2011
In reply to Fredt:

The Proposition is an excellent modern 'western'. Got this in place of The Proposal. Heh heh. That was an interestingly fraught night in the anonymousehole.

The Good, The Bad and The Weird is entertainingly different.
Cornelius Kite 23 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig: In my opinion, the best westerns were made before 1960.

Classics you should watch include ...

Shane
High Noon
Yellow Sky
The Proud Ones
Where the River Bends
Day of the Evil Gun
The Man from Laramie
The Gunfighter
Man without a Star
Stagecoach (the original)
Rio Bravo

more recently, I'd recommend Will Penny, Dances with Wolves, Unforgiven, Open Range, 3:10 to Yuma, Seraphim Falls.
 Blue Straggler 24 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Some fine recommendations in this thread but I think some of them are for the more seasoned veteran of the genre.

For old-fashioned "standard formula" fare, try High Noon, The Last Wagon, Ride the High Country, Gunfight at the OK Corral and - slightly unusual at a first glance, and not a famous or "obvious" choice, but go with it.... "Warlock" starring Henry Fonda and Anthony Quinn and Richard Widmark. Oh also Man of the West (Gary Cooper)
Removed User 24 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Unforgiven - brilliant
True grit - both versions
Silverado - great if a little light hearted
All of the TGTBATU, FFOD, FAFDM trilogy - early Clint - ignore the dubbing
Open range - excellet Kevin Costner
Dances with Wolves - Excellent Kevin Costner
Both Tombstone and Gunfight at the OK corral - great vriations on the same story
The whole Lonesome Dove tv series

The Searchers - I'm waiting for the re-make
The outlaw Jose Wales
High Plains Drifter
Geronimo - excellent
 stonemaster 24 Aug 2011
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserDreadyCraig)
>
> The whole Lonesome Dove tv series

Outstanding!

> The Searchers - I'm waiting for the re-make

You will burn in Hell for even thinking about it..
ice.solo 24 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

anything by sam peckinpah.
 Marc C 24 Aug 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler: Rootin-tootin suggestions, pardner
In reply to Marc C:

Audi, Marc!
Warlock is nuts isn't it!
 Hat Dude 24 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Little Big Man

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065988/

in a similar vein to Dances with Wolves but light hearted and a bit less "worthy" (and better)
 Marc C 24 Aug 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler: Yup, sure is! Anthony 'Zorba the Greek' Quinn as a repressed homosexual (?!)
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) Yup, sure is! Anthony 'Zorba the Greek' Quinn as a repressed homosexual (?!)
I think Prince based his wardrobe on a combination of Quinn in this, and Dr T from The 5000 Fingers of Dr T (not a Western)
GeoffM 24 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Most of the above plus John Waynes last film The Shootist
 Lankyman 24 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig: Randolph Scott made some under-rated Westerns - Ride the High Country http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ride_the_High_Country being a good example. The fifties/early sixties were for me the classic era. After that it all got a bit too much (Once Upon a Time in the West is very stylised and depressingly awful to my mind). There have been exceptions though - Clint's westerns are mostly very good, particularly post-Leone.
Shane, to me, is the archetypal Western tale of good triumphing over evil although it's not a simplistic black and white story. The scenery's good too - filmed below the Tetons in Wyoming!
 Marc C 24 Aug 2011
In reply to Karl Lunt: Agree that the 50s = the classic Western decade. Agree also that Ride the High Country is an underrated Western. Personally I'm a sucker for B-movie westerns filmed with rock scenery as a major part of the landscape/story - as a climber I also try to visualise their climbing potential!
 aln 24 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig: What about the one with Willie Nelson, Barbarossa was it? And could Connery's sci fi thing Zardoz be considered a kind of Western?
 Stefan Kruger 24 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Newer ones..:

Pale Rider
Unforgiven
Silverado
Dances with Wolves
3:10 to Yuma
In reply to Marc C:
> Agree also that Ride the High Country is an underrated Western.

Is it? I thought it was a widely acknowledged classic!
An awful lot of people don't seem to know that 3:10 To Yuma was a 1950s Western which was recently REMADE.
 Nigel R 24 Aug 2011
In reply to Removed User: Second your recomendation for Tombstone: much under-rated I feel.

"I'm your huckleberry"
 Hat Dude 24 Aug 2011
>
>
> The Searchers - I'm waiting for the re-make

That'll be the day!
 Lankyman 24 Aug 2011
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Karl Lunt)
B-movie westerns filmed with rock scenery as a major part of the landscape/story - as a climber I also try to visualise their climbing potential!

My thoughts also. The first time I went hiking in the States I headed to places like Arches, Canyonlands etc just for the buzz of being in a Western-type landscape. It's part of the fun of the whole B-movie experience (apart from some of the awful plots, dialogue etc). What's that one with Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin and dynamite where they bring down half a canyon-load of rocks onto the banditos?
 Lankyman 24 Aug 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler: apparently it wasn't when released but became so over time. Scott could be a bit two-dimensional at times but in this one he shows quite a complex character.
 aln 24 Aug 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> An awful lot of people don't seem to know that 3:10 To Yuma was a 1950s Western which was recently REMADE.

Can I smugly point to my post about it above?

In reply to Karl Lunt:
> (In reply to Marc C)
> What's that one with Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin and dynamite where they bring down half a canyon-load of rocks onto the banditos?

The Professionals. One of the best "top-end B-movies" ever made in any genre. Story, dialogue, scenery, acting, casting, direction, score, cinematography, all spot on. Love it. The dynamite a small part of it.

Lankyman 24 Aug 2011
> (In reply to Karl Lunt)
> [...]
>
>The dynamite a small part of it.

You can never have too much dynamite? Watched the remake of The Thing last night - it seems it's the best guard against latex alien invasions too.
estivoautumnal 24 Aug 2011
> An awful lot of people don't seem to know that 3:10 To Yuma was a 1950s Western which was recently REMADE.

An awful lot of people DO know that.
 dek 24 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:
All the usual favourites have been mentioned..but Steve McQeen in Tom Horn is another classic, based on a true story.

youtube.com/watch?v=uurQCHVh5R8&
 JuneBob 24 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:
I'm surprised Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid hasn't been mentioned yet. Great film.

I'm a big fan of Eastwood's spaghetti westerns, especially the soundtracks!

Also, the recent version of True Grit was excellent I thought.
 Marc C 24 Aug 2011
> (In reply to Marc C)
> [...]
>
> Is it? I thought it was a widely acknowledged classic!>

Sorry, I meant 'relatively unknown'. Don't reply saying that's untrue too
(I doubt many non-Western aficionados have heard of it or seen it)

The Proud Ones (with Robert Ryan playing a good guy for once*) is also relatively unknown/underrated/unacknowledged (delete whichever is inapplicable).

* Feel free to correct me if you have calculated that Robert Ryan played the good guy more often than the bad guy

Marc C 24 Aug 2011
In reply to estivator: Think he meant 'a lot of awful people haven't heard that the Russell Crowe version of 3:10 to Yuma was a re-make'
 winhill 24 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Rich Hall's How the West Was Lost was on again this week, well worth a look.

youtube.com/watch?v=ivcl85Sw6dA&
Removed User 25 Aug 2011
In reply to Hat Dude:
> (In reply to DreadyCraig)
>
> Little Big Man
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065988/
>
> in a similar vein to Dances with Wolves but light hearted and a bit less "worthy" (and better)

The most similar to "dances with wolves" was "a man called horse" with Richard Harris.
Removed User 25 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
> [...]
>
>>
> You will burn in Hell for even thinking about it..

Yep, but I'm taking bets it'll come!

Actually, I'm really waiting for "Blood meridian"
 Ireddek 25 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

I've never been a massive fan, but my dad used to really love Westerns. So I grew up seeing loads anyway. Family favs (aka the ones he managed to get us to watch) were the Terence hill & Bud Spencer ones especially "They call me Trinity" and "Trinity is still my name". Then when you've watch many of them watch "Wagons East" I used to find that rather funny.

On the other hand if you like reading go search for some Louis L'Amour books. My dad was a very avid collector of these & devoured them whenever we were on holidays.
 stonemaster 25 Aug 2011

> Yep, but I'm taking bets it'll come!
>

And you'd probably win as well....

Will check out Blood Meridian, ta.
 graeme jackson 25 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:
I'm almost ashamed to admit I saw the remake of true Grit tonight and thought it better than the original (which I thought was great by the way).
 Padraig 26 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig:

NOt read thread, but I'd like to recommend "Nevada Smith" Steve McQueen. Caught it again tother nite & it gets better with age!
 Tom Valentine 26 Aug 2011
In reply to graeme jackson:
No shame there. I just finished reading the book and the Coen brothers' film is a very close adaptation.
I also read "Hombre" last week which is another excellent film and very close to the story.
 Lankyman 27 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig: there are several Westerns showing soon on Channel 5. They definitely won't be classics but it's sometimes possible to come up with a watchable nugget.
Saturday 4.45pm The Sheepman (Glenn Ford)
Sunday 2pm The Bounty Hunter (Randolph Scott)
Sunday 3.35pm Riders of Vengeance (someone I haven't come across before!). I'm setting the box to record. If you like cowboy/dinosaur combos then the film you absolutely must see is 'The Valley of The Gwangi' - THE classic of the genre.
 Blue Straggler 29 Aug 2011
In reply to Karl Lunt:
> If you like cowboy/dinosaur combos then the film you absolutely must see is 'The Valley of The Gwangi' - THE classic of the genre.

I'd buy that for a dollar! (I felt sorry for Gwangi in this film)

Removed User 30 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
>
> [...]
>
> > Will check out Blood Meridian, ta.

It might be a bit of a wait

http://www.podcastfilmreview.com/2011/01/12/james-franco-locked-to-direct-b...
Removed User 30 Aug 2011
 walkingOn 30 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig: If it's not been mentioned already

Magnificent Seven
 walkingOn 30 Aug 2011
In reply to DreadyCraig: Rooster cogburn and the lady...

The cowboys
Cahill
Chism

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...