UKC

Another good winter on it's way

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SonyaD 22 Sep 2011
Disclaimer - I am NOT a daily mail reader but just nicked this link on someone's page on facebook.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2039418/UK-weather-Snow-forecast-pa...
 davidrj1 22 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: Here's hoping an article from the Daily Mail is accurate...word of caution though, don't (as I did) read the comments from the idiots who read this rag. It's almost enough to take the shine of the prospect of a good winter!
 Andy Nisbet 22 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:

No, mid October (I'm away early October).
OP SonyaD 22 Sep 2011
In reply to Andy Nisbet: You better be right! Matt is coming up on 22nd and we're hoping for a winter route then.
 LakesWinter 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: It will be warm and dry til about a week before, then there will be a good blast from the NW and we can get one of those routes on your list done. There, I've said it.
Tim Chappell 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:

An early winter? I blame the European Union's human-rights-obsessed gays-on-the-rates faceless bureaucrats with their constant talk about so-called climate change.
 CurlyStevo 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
"Meanwhile, The Met Office has said that below average temperatures in October mean there is a chance of upcoming overnight frosts, which would be seen predominantly in the Midlands and south-east.
"

The day they published this I read the 4 weeks ahead met office forecast. It said nothing of the sort and they said it would be above average sunshine and day time temperatures in N and S UK but with colder than average nights. Typical press reporting! Anyway this is coming from the people that promised us a BBQ summer last year!

That said I do think it may be a colder winter again!
 Trangia 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:

"Good"? Good for who?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8375884.stm

Having an elderly relative who really struggled to cope with the snow and ice last year, had a fall and who is now so frail she is frightened to walk even on shiney linoleum I question your use of the word "good". She is one of tens of thousands of the elderly, weak and frail who dread the onset of winter.
 Richard Baynes 23 Sep 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Please, not typical press reporting, typical Daily Nail reporting. It is the kind of story that they jam together based on getting one forecaster to shoot his mouth off about the bleedin' obvious: he says there will be snow in some parts of Britain in October, well I'd be very surprised if up above about 700m there wasn't quite a lot from time to time. and to expect a cold ealy start is no rocket science after the last couple ofbyears.
Having said all that, yep, let's hope for a bloody good freeze and I hope the bloke downstairs has his heating cranked up as high as it was last year.

skog 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Trangia:

It's in the winter climbing forum, so good for winter climbers, I'd have thought!

We can't really do anything about the short-to-medium term weather, so why not get excited about the benefits? Otherwise, next warm dry sunny summer we have, we'll all have to be miserable about the farmers having trouble keeping their crops watered, and whenever a storm fails to hit us we can mope about the lost wind and hydro power generation!

That said, there must be at least a 1 in 3 chance it'll be a mild and wet winter, whatever the Met Office have or haven't said. If that happens, we can be happy about the benefits to the elderly, to distract us from the poor climbing season.
 CurlyStevo 23 Sep 2011
In reply to skog:
The last 2 warm windy wet winters we got (back to back) not many hills in scotland were really that good until march. When the Ben came in to the best nick it had been in for a decade for 2 sunny cold months. It was awesome!
 Jon Wickham 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: Spoke to a woman yesterday who lives near Alston (Cumbria) up in the Pennines, and they have already had sleet!
 skog 23 Sep 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:

So, happy pensioners -and- good ice. Hooray!

<starts whistling the tune to "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"...>
 Cam Forrest 23 Sep 2011
In reply to skog: note that the Daily Mail did not base their item on the Met Office. Here is what the Met Office had to say about it: http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/
 thomm 23 Sep 2011
Does anyone mind if we postpone it until February when my building work will be complete? Thanks!
 CurlyStevo 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Cam Forrest:
> (In reply to skog) note that the Daily Mail did not base their item on the Met Office. Here is what the Met Office had to say about it: http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/

please explain this quote from the article then:

""Meanwhile, The Met Office has said that below average temperatures in October mean there is a chance of upcoming overnight frosts, which would be seen predominantly in the Midlands and south-east.
"

The met office did not predict below average temperatures at the time this was issued (only at night in fact the were predicting unusualy sunny day time weather for much of the UK with around or above average temps)
 thommi 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Trangia: relax my friend, like another poster mentioned its a winter climbing forum.
 skog 23 Sep 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Dad (Cam) is a happy pensioner and a winter climber, so has plenty of vested interest here.

However, he's not a Met Office employee - I'm not sure it's up to him to explain their sometimes self-contradictory output!

I think we can probably put it down to seasonal forecasting being far from mature as a science, though...
OP SonyaD 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Trangia: Well, this is actually a winter climbing forum so posts tend to be (or should be) related to winter climbing, so get off your high horse.

(I too have a relative (mum) who can't get out and about when the weather is bad, she can barely get out and about when the weather is good) But this doesn't stop me and thousands of others from enjoying good winter condtions on the hill and this is what this thread is about. Winter climbing!
 Milesy 23 Sep 2011
My parents and grand parents remember worse winters than these! What has changes is people's attitudes.

Parents wont let their kids walk a mile to school in the snow. Adults "can't get into work" if their car wont get out their street.
Few people get involved in the community and get out in shovel gangs to clear their estates.

Everyone just wants to hole themself up and expect someone else to solve the problems.

Cue dailymailesque "We want more grit" as if grit is the solution to the worlds problems. I watched a guy in my street spend all day salting and gritting his driveway until it was clear of snow and just a pile of muck and dirt and he had not quite thought far enough ahead to what he would do once his car was out of his driveway and onto the road which still had about 3ft of snow.
 Cam Forrest 23 Sep 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Cam Forrest)
> [...]
>
> please explain this quote from the article then:
>
> ""Meanwhile, The Met Office has said that below average temperatures in October mean there is a chance of upcoming overnight frosts, which would be seen predominantly in the Midlands and south-east.
> "
>
> The met office did not predict below average temperatures at the time this was issued (only at night in fact the were predicting unusualy sunny day time weather for much of the UK with around or above average temps)

I think you are agreeing with me, although you are phrasing this as though you are disagreeing.

There are 15 paragraphs in The Daily Mail article. One of them mentions the Met Office (your quote above), and it is a misquote, as you point out. In response, the Met Office said (in their blog) "It should be made clear that these forecasts for the coming months are not from the Met Office".

I think it is pretty clear that "the Daily Mail did not base their item on the Met Office", but on a number of independent forecasters. And who knows, but they might have misquoted them also. The Daily Mail's business is selling newspapers, not weather forecasting, lets face it.
 Glansa 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Milesy:

> Parents wont let their kids walk a mile to school in the snow. Adults "can't get into work" if their car wont get out their street.
> Few people get involved in the community and get out in shovel gangs to clear their estates.

Quite the opposite here, first day of the big snow my street and others around us all got out and cleared the street of about 2' of snow, right down to tarmac and wide enough for vans. It took until about 4pm. However, I was the only one to get my car out to main road. Overnight another 18" fell and everyone just sat there for the rest of the week nursing blisters!

But, I am the only self-employed one. The rest were able to sit at home/go sledging and in most cases still got paid!
 tom290483 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Sonya Mc)
>
> "Good"? Good for who?
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8375884.stm
>
> Having an elderly relative who really struggled to cope with the snow and ice last year, had a fall and who is now so frail she is frightened to walk even on shiney linoleum I question your use of the word "good". She is one of tens of thousands of the elderly, weak and frail who dread the onset of winter.

you almost brought out a tear from my glass eye there.

shaun stephens 23 Sep 2011
In reply to tom290483: LOL
when i was 20 i had really old people (50) telling me that i would hate winter weather when i was their age. Well in 12 months im gonna be that age and all i can say is bring it on their is nothing better than waking up to snow and ice ., and before anybody shouts about not being able to travel. I live 5 miles from work and i have still got the us of my legs so this means that i will still be going in.
 dek 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
In that case i'm going to learn to ski...theres far too many people climbing in winter now!
 Milesy 23 Sep 2011
In reply to dek:

Who has priority in a gully though? If I see you coming down my gully you're getting a mars bar projectile
 dek 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to dek)
>
> Who has priority in a gully though? If I see you coming down my gully you're getting a mars bar projectile

If you see me in a gully heading down towards you.......it means im off! (I can barely stand upright on ski's)
 A9 23 Sep 2011
In reply to dek:
Some superb pictures on yr gallery there. The one in the hutchie hut is a cracker, handheld at a quarter second ?
 Simon Caldwell 23 Sep 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> please explain this quote from the article then

Easy. It's the Daily Mail. They made it up.
 dek 23 Sep 2011
In reply to A9:
I cannie remember!.......but i doubt if i could hand hold it at that exp
Btw Do you recognise anyone in the pic?
 A9 23 Sep 2011
In reply to dek:
fraid not - I'd be getting dragged around the western hills the time that snap was taken.
Bothy culture doesn't change very quick tho - its a timeless scene
OP SonyaD 23 Sep 2011
In reply to dek: Bekah's going on a ski trip in Jan to the Deux Alps to learn how to ski. I told her she would have to teach me. I'd love to be able to ski, but I can see lots of broken bones involved.
 A9 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
Sonya - with this big freeze promised will we be seeing the mystery machine parked up at all the "in" venues this winter ?
 Andy Mountains 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Bring it on. Optimism is essential in winter climbing.
 dek 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
I tried that once.......now im thinking Cross country sking instead
OP SonyaD 23 Sep 2011
In reply to A9: Brilliant, I'd forgotten about that!

Hopefully either the mystery machine or it's partner in crime, the wee panda, will be seen at various esoteric gems throughout the coming season :oD
OP SonyaD 23 Sep 2011
In reply to dek: Well, it's cross country skiing I'd like to do, but I'm thinking that if you know how to ski downhill, then it's easy to adapt to cross country, cos the downhill will be the hard bit? (though I know you need a different set up of course)
 Trangia 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> (In reply to Trangia) Well, this is actually a winter climbing forum

Well so it is!

Apologies

Have been spending too much time under bridges.....
OP SonyaD 23 Sep 2011
In reply to Trangia: Well hopefully it will be nice and cold and snowy and icy up high but clear low down so walk ins are easier and our poorly relatives can get out and about.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...