UKC

new helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 watson.b 24 Sep 2011
im looking to get a new helmet and i cant decide which one to get, at the moment its between the camp armour and the petzl elios suggestions please
 Steeve 24 Sep 2011
In reply to N`landclimbs:
camp armour is (really) heavy, way too warm, and badly ventilated.
all that fluff and padding which make it feel like it fits are just going to make you sweat (alot).
 Wile E. Coyote 24 Sep 2011
In reply to Steeve: I've got the Armour and I don't have any of those problems.
 iksander 25 Sep 2011
In reply to watson.b: Try them on, heads and helmets are very different shapes. I've got a big (60cm), square bonce and prefer the petzl altios myself
 mlmatt 25 Sep 2011
In reply to watson.b:

I can not speak for the CAMP armour (apart from the fact it makes people look like a dinosaur) but I've used a Petzl Elios for the past 4/5 years and it's been excellent. It's provided good protection from all the loose sea-cliff rock in the summer and all the snow, ice and rock (and occasional piece of dropped gear) in the winter. Mine hasn't been too warm even on the hottest days. It's light, simple and easy to adjust.

When this helmet has had it's day, I'll replace it with another elios basically.
 girlymonkey 25 Sep 2011
In reply to watson.b:
I got a camp armour, and liked it a lot. However, it got knocked off the coat rack in our hallway onto a carpeted floor and the padding came unstuck from the shell. I realise you aren't meant to drop helmets, but they should be able to withstand a drop like that I would have said. Might just be a one off, but worth being aware of.
 wilkie14c 25 Sep 2011
In reply to girlymonkey:
Thats quite worrying as I had a camp startech for winter climbing <lightweight> but camp replaced it with the armour as the startech had glue failure issues. I like the armour as it seems to fit better than my Elios. Elios is bombproof though, had mine 7 or 8 years
 girlymonkey 25 Sep 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:
Yeah, I liked the fit of the armour too, but it was the glue that failed, so it sounds like they've not solved the problem
 FB 25 Sep 2011
In reply to girlymonkey: I had the same prob with a armour as well mine was only a week old and still tagged so just got it replace but it was cheap at £25 at go outdoors.
 girlymonkey 25 Sep 2011
In reply to FB:
I got mine in Go outdoors too, but it was start of the summer. Did GO replace it, or did you send it to camp? I've not bothered going to GO about it (I probs still have the receipt kicking around), I have emailed Camp instead, but maybe worth trying GO if they replaced yours!
 wilkie14c 25 Sep 2011
In reply to girlymonkey: it wad direct with camp for my replacement. Fair play to camp as my old startech was 2 years old
Juho Risku 26 Sep 2011
In reply to watson.b: I am a happy user of Petzl Elios, so my vote goes for Petzl Elios. Have to say though that I haven't used C.A.M.P. Armour... while it might be availability issue Petzl Elios seems to be pretty popular among the friends of mine who climb ice.
tribevine.com 26 Sep 2011
In reply to watson.b: You might want to take a look what people have said about different helmets at our site (currently 65 different climbing helmets): http://www.tribevine.com/quicksearch?open=true&limit=500&browse=1&a... ...at least Petzl Elios is well covered both in terms of ratings as well as reviews.
 LucaC 26 Sep 2011
In reply to watson.b: I love my Petzl Meteor, I think people really underestimate the benefit of having a super light helmet. Moved up from a mates borrowed Ellios and then my own BD half dome.

I've worn it for trad and in the alps, and I really appreciate the lightness. It doesn't feel like you have anything on, super quick to adjust, all the straps fold into the body so that you get a nice easy shape to pack, and it's really comfy. Also comes with a replacement foam insert and a storage bag.

I realise they are more expensive and less durable due to being polystyrene not hard plastic, but you wont right them off with a small bump, and any sort of impact which would make me consider getting a new one would probably cast doubts on a solid plastic helmet too.

Bright orange is sexy too.
 Manboob 27 Sep 2011
In reply to watson.b: I can recommend not buying a Grivel Salamander. although there is nothing wrong with it functionally, the fluffy padding inside it means that it stinks. I have boiled it and sprayed with febreeze etc... to no avail. Mine smells like a urinal.
In reply to LJC:
> (In reply to watson.b) I love my Petzl Meteor, I think people really underestimate the benefit of having a super light helmet. Moved up from an Elios
>
> I've worn it for trad and I really appreciate the lightness. It doesn't feel like you have anything on, super quick to adjust, all the straps fold into the body so that you get a nice easy shape to pack, and it's really comfy. Also comes with a replacement foam insert
>
> I realise they are more expensive and less durable due to being polystyrene not hard plastic, but you wont right them off with a small bump, and any sort of impact which would make me consider getting a new one would probably cast doubts on a solid plastic helmet too.
>
> Bright orange is sexy too. (???)

+1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...