UKC

Peak District Photo Meet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Lane 24 Jan 2012
Well then, on another thread there has been talk of having another effort at a UKC photo meet in the Peak District.

As with the intentions of the last planned meet (which never happened) i would guess we'll have some pretty experienced/professional photographers as well as some who are new to game. This would be a perfect chance to learn a few things.

So then, who's interested? I'm going to be proactive and throw a date out there... Sunday 19th February, Anyone?

First of, climbing or landscape photography, or both?

And where? I would suggest somewhere in the Hope Valley/Hathersage area because it is easyish to get to on Public Transport (Manchester-Sheffield train line), other than that I'm open for suggestions!

Cheers
Dan
www.danlanephotography.com
 ChrisJD 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Your best bet is to say: it will be the 19th Feb and set the location and meeting times. It's not that easy arranging by committee.

And yes, I should be OK for the 19th.
 Tall Clare 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

One quibble - meets *did* happen! It's just that they ended up being me, ChrisJD and SimonC. Chris, being of a digital disposition, would take several shots, I would take a few shots with my 35mm camera, and Simon would take two shots with his Linhof
OP Dan Lane 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Oh, I am sorry! I assume that means you'll be coming along this time too?
 Tall Clare 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Hee hee! I'd love to but I'm not sure I'll make it. I've put a note in my diary though.

These: http://claredanek.com/2011/05/cars/ and some of these: http://claredanek.com/2010/08/caravans-2/ are from previous meets. Mmm, smell the decay!
In reply to Dan Lane: I'd be interested in something like this, but that date's impossible for me. I'm not suggesting the whole thing's rearranged at my convenience but if there's another one then (in principle) I'd be up for it.

T.
 Richard Carter 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

I'm good for 19th of Feb.
 Richard Carter 24 Jan 2012
^on the assumption at least 1 cafe will be involved.
Removed User 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

I'm ok for 19th atm. I'll pencil it in.
Removed User 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

My linhof has moved onto pastures new and is in fine hands I believe it was the second time we went out I bit the bullet and went digital
 Paul Evans 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
Hi Dan, thanks for suggesting this. I'm interested and will pencil it in. Don't mind if we do landscape or climbing photography. Or both.

Paul
OP Dan Lane 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Good to hear we've got a good few people interested and able to make that date.

No need to worry, there will be AT LEAST one cafe...

As for location, I'm easy, throw some suggestions at me.

If it all goes to plan and we have a decent gathering then I'm sure another meet wouldn't be out of the question for those that can't make this date.

Dan
 Simon 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

I'm ok for 19th atm. I'll pencil it in.

Si

PS: if there is a caff - there has to be a pub at the end too surley?
 Paul Evans 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
Well I think the Hope / Hathersage valley does have the benefit of public transport as you say. For rock climbing it's convenient for most of the eastern edges. Landscape - Winnats, Mam Tor & Great Ridge (kind of done to death but..) or Padley Gorge is worth a wander (and convenient for Grindleford Caff). Any other ideas?
 Alex Ekins 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
Great Idea Dan, would come along but busy on that day.
Cheers
Alex
The Scarlet Pimpernel 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

I'd be keen. Would prefer a walk from village to village along a valley bottom rather than up on't moors.
 craig h 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

As far as I can tell I should be able to come for a mooch, not too bothered where we meet or what type of photos we take.
OP Dan Lane 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Ok, I'm going to suggest meeting at Grindleford Cafe for a nice big full english to start the day. From there we will go down the valley bottom towards Curbar. At some point along there I think we should head up the hillside onto the moor (Froggatt/Curbar Edge area), in the hope that it'll be a nice sunset. Or we could do the same route in reverse i suppose.

With this route we get cafe, valley bottoms, wooded hillsides, moors, sunsets, crags and a pub at the end if you fancy a pint afterwards.

What's not to like?
 Anni 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Might be tempted by this, and think Im free that day, Ill have a look. Ill be the one photographing the pretty green moss fronds round the back of the boulders, and any bugs that happen to be in the grass
 Simon 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
> (In reply to Dan Lane)
>
> Ok, I'm going to suggest meeting at Grindleford Cafe for a nice big full english to start the day. From there we will go down the valley bottom towards Curbar. At some point along there I think we should head up the hillside onto the moor (Froggatt/Curbar Edge area), in the hope that it'll be a nice sunset. Or we could do the same route in reverse i suppose.
>
> With this route we get cafe, valley bottoms, wooded hillsides, moors, sunsets, crags and a pub at the end if you fancy a pint afterwards.

Can't really complain at that, after all it sounds like a typical Sunday for me in my back yard!

Si
 icnoble 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: I would like come to this event if that's ok. Sounds great.
OP Dan Lane 25 Jan 2012
In reply to icnoble:

You're more than welcome to come along, as it anybody else who has just seen this thread.

Just keep an eye on the thread in case anything changes.

Dan
 icnoble 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: Thanks Dan, it will be good to meet people from UKC. Lets hope the weather is good!
 ChrisJD 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Looks like 19th will be no good for me after all.

Hope it goes well and look forward to seeing the all images and to the next one. Well done to Dan for getting this moving again.
The Scarlet Pimpernel 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

What time at the cafe?
OP Dan Lane 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

10:30am?
Gadget Girl 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: Sorry buddy, in Scotland that weekend. :-c
The Scarlet Pimpernel 25 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Cool. I'll be there earlier.

Will look out for a crowd weighed down with cameras and lenses.

PontiusPirate 26 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

hi Dan, thanks for bringing this to my attention... unfortunately i'll be at a birthday do in the Dales that w/e... i'll reply on FB as well.

With any luck, you may have some nice frosty (snowy?) weather by then... some interesting forecasts on various weather blogs at the moment... :-D

PP
 halo 26 Jan 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Hey, I see you like shooting Decay too! Here's one of mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27040583@N06/6681192243/ take a peek.
 Paul Evans 26 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
Thanks very much for arranging this Dan, will be at the caff at 10:30. Don't forget to get your order for good weather in nice and early. .
Will be travelling over from east side of manchester if anyone wants to be green and share a car.

Paul
OP Dan Lane 26 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

might just take you up on that offer Paul, I live in Glossop so must be on route for you? I know Craig H lives over thos way too, maybe the three of up could be green?
 ChrisJD 26 Jan 2012
In reply to halo:

Watch out now, the UKCHDRLM [UKC HDR Lynch Mob] will be after you!
 tallsop 26 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Id defo be up for it, i just bought my first dslr and am just trying to get used to it. As you said it would be a great opportunity to learn. Counnt me in!

Cheers,

Tom
 Richard Carter 26 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

I might have to bring the old trouble & strife :-/
 Paul Evans 26 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
> (In reply to Dan Lane)
>
> might just take you up on that offer Paul, I live in Glossop so must be on route for you? I know Craig H lives over thos way too, maybe the three of up could be green?

OK Dan I'm in Stalybridge, so I would be driving through Glossop anyway. I'll contact you re car shares nearer the time.

Paul
 Richard Carter 26 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

BTW I'm driving down from M'bro if anyone needs a lift and lives on the route.
 icnoble 26 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: I will be driving from Preston
 Simon 26 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Dan, 10:30 at Grindleford Cafe sounds a reasonable time to me - good call.

Your route sounds good too and we can vary ways up to the edges from the cafe via the woods / bottom routes of the edges & then back along the top to the Grouse & back to Grindleford Cafe - I'll follow you ;0)

Great to see the uptake for this event following our small events & will be good to meet all the peeps but especially Paul who I never met despite being on the Sheffield / Peak scene at the time (Marvin Bore was legend!)

Look forward to snapping with you all folks - I will try and think of few oddities in the neighbourhood for your lenses (Si C help please! ;0)

Cheers

Si
 icnoble 28 Jan 2012
In reply to icnoble:
> (In reply to Dan Lane) I will be driving from Preston

So will by quite happy to give a lift.

ayuplass 28 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
I'm going to try and come along to this. Only ever been on 1 ukc meet before, not that it put me off or anything ; )
 Nadir khan 11 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: This sounds cool and I should be up for the weekend anyway . Will be good to meet the people behind the usernames . Will we have any climbers to actually photograph or will we assume that some of the photographers will also bring rock shoes and chalk etc to pose for some shots ? My mate who'll be with me and isn't a photographer is usually pretty happy to pose for shots . Looking forward to this and thanks for organising it
 Anni 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Anyone up for some dawn shooting, weather/light dependant??
 Paul Evans 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:
If the weather and light is good, I would be up for some dawn shooting - but I did say I was looking to share lifts with Dan Lane, so it depends on whether he also fancies getting up at a moderately antisocial hour. Sunrise is 07:17 that day, with the sun rising sort of ESE direction. Did you have any specific location in mind? I've already done Mam Tor once already this year...Met Office is only giving a "whole country" forecast ATM, which says - "This weekend is likely to remain rather unsettled, with rain or showers and brisk winds affecting many areas, and with showers wintry in the north and perhaps east, especially on Sunday."

Paul
 Anni 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Paul Evans:

Unsettled is good, if we get breaks of sunshine in the clouds!! Was thinking of hunting out the abandoned millstones below Stanage, not too much of a hike but a great location from what Ive seen, unless you have any other suggestions?
Removed User 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:

I might manage it, will depend slightly on how much willpower I have on saturday night
 Anni 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Nice website BTW
 Paul Evans 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:
Hi Anni
Well as I say it will depend on whether Dan fancies an early start, and what the weather looks like nearer the time.
As to whether millstones below stanage would be a good location, because of where the sun will rise, I think the only place this would work is from the Cowperstone (south) end, since this is the only place where the sunrise light would actually catch the millstones at this time of year.
I don't know if there are any millstones in this area, but I'm sure some helpful local expert will be along to advise in due course. If there are any then this could be a good bet.
Most of Stanage faces west or south west, so if the millstones are below the crag, the light from the rising sun would be blocked by the crag.
If we're going to get transient light (beams of sun breaking through cloud) then somewhere with a wide vista would be good.

Other options....I'll have a think...

Paul

Paul
 Anni 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Paul Evans:

http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Facilities-Landing/Search-Results/England/Der...

There are views to both east and west apparently, seen lots of shots all year round of both times of day. If you do think of somewhere better please shout, I'm still very much a novice at locations for peak landscapes (and for landscape photography full stop!!)
 Paul Evans 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:
Well spotted, wasn't quite sure whereabouts on Stanage this was from the link, but just checked the latest Rockfax Eastern Grit which has a little box top LH corner of pg 188 which mentions the "photogenic millstones", and gives s sketchmap for where they are. I have walked past them several times but due to old age and general decrepitude had failed to register the fact. Been in touch with Dan who says that he's happy to turn out early so long as -
(a) weather is worthwhile and
(b) he gets his fryup afterwards.

Suggest we check weather Friday and/or Sat to decide if we're having the optional early start at Stanage South End or not. If we do, those who fancy a lie in can meet us at Grindleford Cafe per original arrangements.

Sounding slightly like a plan...

Paul
 Anni 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

So you coming along to show us that are novices how it's done!?!
 icnoble 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:
> (In reply to Dan Lane)
>
> Anyone up for some dawn shooting, weather/light dependant??

If the weather is ok I would love to get down for an early start, I live in Preston so should only take an hour and a half at the most to get there.

Anni 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Paul Evans & co:

Sounding very much like a plan Fingers crossed the weather behaves!

T'other half may join us later for the day part & walking with the pooch. He's going to decide Saturday. He's not crackers enough to get up for dawn...
 Sean Bell 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: Do a Scottish/Lakes/Northumberland one and Ill be there with bells on!

All the best for this one, hope you get some good weather/light for it.
 icnoble 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:
> (In reply to Paul Evans & co)
>
> Sounding very much like a plan Fingers crossed the weather behaves!
>

Agreed

In reply to Anni:
> (In reply to Nicholas Livesey)
>
> So you coming along to show us that are novices how it's done!?!

Lol as they say! I'm a novice too Anni!!!

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet but I could well end up in the peak so maybe

OP Dan Lane 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

As Paul says, I could be tempted by an early start depending on the weather, I'll talk to Paul on Saturday and post a message on here when we have made a decision.

Sorry about the general lack of comunication over the last couple of days, I'm a little pre-occupied in Aviemore trying to find some ice to climb!

See you all on Sunday
Dan
 Paul Evans 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
BBC currently showing rainy on Sat and (shhh!) sunny on Sunday for Hathersage. This is clearly far too good to be true, and I'm sure will soon be corrected to the normal monsoon deluges, thick cloud, storm force winds and any other bad stuff you can think of..

Paul
 deepsoup 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Paul Evans:
> This is clearly far too good to be true..

This one's even worse.
http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Hathersage~7298147/long.html

halo 16 Feb 2012
In reply to deepsoup: This is obviously based on the previous years records surely!
In reply to Dan Lane: I'd love to come to this but I'll be in Wales...you lot better not get better photos than me! :-p

I hope it's roaring success
 Anni 17 Feb 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

Hmmm, I'm still in doubt as to your 'novice' status as a landscape photographer!! If youre a novice then Im shaping up as an embryo :oS Then again maybe escaping to Wales is cause you're scared of the competition!?!

Dan: Lol, we can't possibly have a meet with great weather. It'll all go tits up at the last minute you watch!!
 Simon 17 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Hi Dan, I'm going to have to give my apologies as I will be in Grindelwald (no not Grindleford!)on Sunday now (my passport has come!)

Have a great brekky and shoot and I will take a few snaps of the Eiger for you all.

Cheers

Si
The Scarlet Pimpernel 17 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:
> (In reply to Nicholas Livesey
>
> Dan: Lol, we can't possibly have a meet with great weather.

All looking very good atm.

icnoble 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: Don't forget to bring your fully charged batteries and memory cards/film!!
Removed User 18 Feb 2012
In reply to icnoble:

it was nice out there this afternoon, bit breezy but between weather fronts was pleasant.
 Anni 18 Feb 2012
In reply to icnoble:

Film!? Whats that then?

So what time & location we looking at? Obviously early, 6.30 for those wanting to do stanage millstones, or has anyone thought of a better spot?

I'll be in a black Golf. Looking forward to meeting people
OP Dan Lane 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:

I'm waiting for a reply from Paul as we speak.

I'm not convinced by Stanage at all, It faces west, but the sun rises in the East, surely that won't work?

I'm going to have a look at the map now and i'll let you know if anything stands out. Although one place that springs to mind is Higgar Tor, a big rocky lump with bits that face in all directions, sounds like a good plan?

I'll have a look at the map anyway and think of some other possibilities.

Dan

PS can you drop me a text on 07592 225421 Anni? (and anyone else planning to come for sunrise) just in case our plans change early tomorrow morning, it's easier to text then get on here and it's sure to reach people.
 Anni 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Take a look at the link I posted above as to why Stanage...

OP Dan Lane 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Ok, HERE IS THE FINAL PLAN!

I've just spoken to Paul, we will be at the Burbage Bridge carpark (for the cowperstone) at 6:30am (grid ref:- 259829)

If anyone does feel the need to go to Higgar Tor instead then that's only a mile or so away but i'm assured the Cowperstone dos face the right way.

If we don't see you bright and early for sunrise then we'll be in the cafe at Grindleford train station for a fry-up around 10/10:30am

See you tomorrow!
Dan
 Paul Evans 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
Anni
Dan & I will be in a grey Toyota Yaris. Aiming to get there at 06:30.
Last time I photographed the dawn, my feet ended up like blocks of ice, so thick socks are top priority this time round. It's supposed to be below freezing (though not by much) overnight.
Looking forward to it!

Paul
Removed User 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

I'll probably see around ten, I've seen enough peak dawns this week
 Richard Smith 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: Dan, will this be a regular thing, unfortunately I am working tomorrow and cannot make it. I love photography, climbing and landscape, I'm not that good, but would enjoy meeting people who enjoy the same and getting tips.
OP Dan Lane 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Richard Smith:

We'll see how tomorrow goes, but i don't see any reason it won't be happening again!
 Anni 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane & Paul:

All sounding good to me. Glad I'm not the only dawn nutter

Richard: Agreed, if tomorrow goes well am certainly up for a few more!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Watch for icy roads 1st thing.

Chris
 Adam Long 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Dan, just to throw a spanner in the works...

I've shot sunrise from the Apparent North area many times. The popular end of Stanage faces pretty much south-west, this area more like SSW - so sunrise in winter gives nice sidelighting, and there is plenty of foreground and a great view down into the valley. You've got The Photographer's Ephemeris haven't you? Zoom in and have a look... you can even spot the millstones.

There are more options at Higgar, but I haven't got anything from there I like as much as at Stanage. I suspect you'll struggle to make much of a shot at the Cowperstone, but I'd love to be proved wrong. Its a bit low down on the moor compared to most of the edges.

Paul Evans 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Adam Long:
Thanks for this Adam, and we're actually all agreeing, the area that Anni's link points to is the same as the area on pages 188/189 of the latest Rockfax Eastern Grit, i.e. 20 foot crack and Apparent North area. The car park is the same as the Cowperstone but we're actually going to the spot you recommend - which is the same as the one Anni found, I think.

As Chris points out, possibility of ice driving over from Manc (especially on the minor roads) so we'll not be trying to break any records.

TPE is great, isn't it?

Cheers

Paul
 Nadir khan 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: I'm planning on being there , maybe not exactly 6.30 , where will you all be , my mobile is 07711938705, if you could text me that would be cool , failing that see you in grindleford station
 Adam Long 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Paul Evans:

TPE is fantastic, I used to spend hours with a map, compass and a basic emphemeris calculator!

Its much quicker walking from the layby in front rather than Burbage bridge. Might see you out there... though I should really go somewhere I haven't shot so much already.
The Scarlet Pimpernel 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Is anyone still meeting at the cafe at a less extreme hour?
 Paul Evans 18 Feb 2012
In reply to The Scarlet Pimpernel:
Well everyone who is getting up at extreme hours is then going to the cafe, so see you there at 10:30 for those who aren't getting up early!
Right signing off now, if I'm getting up at stupid o'clock, I'm going to get my head down!

Paul
Removed User 18 Feb 2012
In reply to The Scarlet Pimpernel:

I'll be there at a more normal hour, mainly due working several nights this week so I fancy the lay in
OP Dan Lane 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

It's be good to see you there Adam, you could impart some of your Stanage wisdom upon us all...and TPE certainly is useful!

NK, i'll drop you a text when we arrive.
 icnoble 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: Dan, As I am driving from Preston I don't think I will make it for 6.30, I aim to be there at the carpark by 7.30.

Really looking forward to tomorrow

Iain
 Richard Smith 18 Feb 2012
In reply to icnoble: I'm peeved that I can't go! Bloody Work!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Nice to meet you guys out there on Froggatt, looks like everyone had a great time.

Whoever organised the weather did a cracking job

Chris
 Anni 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Personally had a great day, good to meet up with both familiar and new faces. Certainly learned a lot from some very experienced and great photographers, so a big thanks for all the advice and help people gave me (and to Ian for the tea money!!). Big thanks to Dan for going to the trouble of organising it. Looking forward to the next one!
 craig h 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:

Cheers Dan for organising this and the excellent weather

Retrospectively I must have spent too much time chatting and not enough time taking photos, the sim card fairly empty when I got home, was good to meet everyone and have come away with some top tips, thanks.
 icnoble 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: I too had a very enjoyable day out. A big thank you to Dan for organising the event, and it was great to meet other people from UKC. Like Craig I did not take that many photographs, too much chatting!!
 icnoble 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni: You might be interested in this thread if you have not already seen it.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=494173&v=1#x6754157

I will mail you later with info about the macro lens I mentioned.

I had a look at your photographs on Flickr and your macro stuff is superb, this is amazing http://www.flickr.com/photos/anniison/6803440155/in/set-72157629128011027

I have got a flickr account but never bothered with it but that is going to change!!
 Anni 19 Feb 2012
In reply to icnoble:

Thanks Ian, look forward to seeing your pics on Flickr!
 Nadir khan 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni: Great photo of the retractions , really good
Removed User 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:

Good to meet everyone. I doubt I took many more than I usually do on these days out but I enjoyed everyones company and the walk in and out, always nice to be around people with a shared creative passion

Cheers all.
 Nadir khan 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane: Thanks for organising this and good to meet up with every one
 Paul Evans 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
Yep, well organised Dan, excellent weather, good company, looking forward to the next one!

Paul
In reply to Dan Lane:

A bit of a bummer I missed this but I was half-dead from driving back from Font yesterday. Maybe see you at the next meet.
In reply to Dan Lane: Sounds like you all had a good time. If this is to be an ongoing thing, how about a flickr group to share photos from the meets? I'd love to see what you lot got at the weekend
In reply to Paul Evans:
> (In reply to Dan Lane)
> BBC currently showing rainy on Sat and (shhh!) sunny on Sunday for Hathersage. This is clearly far too good to be true, and I'm sure will soon be corrected to the normal monsoon deluges, thick cloud, storm force winds and any other bad stuff you can think of..
>
> Paul

Oh you pessimist! How did it turn out?
 Blue Straggler 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

I made a fleeting appearance with the dawn brigade but then had to do a runner as I had arranged to go climbing. I was just happy-snapping, really. Results (with a few totally artless climbing shots) here http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-straggler/sets/72157629398177783/

I was in T-shirt and sunglasses at one point in the afternoon. And my missing glove turned out to be under my hat!
 Richard Smith 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler: You took some great shots; where are those mill stones in your shots?
In reply to Richard Smith:

Just near the Cowperstone which is where the "dawn brigade" congregated. I'll label up the pics on flickr later. I'm sure the others with their dSLRs, tripods and filters will have much artier results than mine!
 Paul Evans 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
Some interesting and unusual compositions there. I like the high contrast black and white work, surprising the way it can make green fields look snow-covered!

Paul
In reply to Paul Evans:

Paul, the b&w shots (all except the log and Stuart bouldering) are infra-red, hence the strange effects.
OP Dan Lane 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Well thanks to all of you for coming, I had a good day shooting from dawn til dusk, I await the results!
 Onion 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Looking forward to these pictures appearing on the site/forum.
 Paul Evans 21 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
OK I've put a bunch of mine on Flickr here -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul2608/

They're just the latest 17 in the Photostream, not made them part of a set.

I'll probably stick a few of these in the UKC galleries when I work out which I like best.

Paul

Anni 22 Feb 2012
In reply to icnoble:

Slowly getting the odd pic up in my gallery!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.html?id=1474
 Paul Evans 22 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
Some nice stuff there Anni and Ian. Ian, particularly like the shot of the guy on Big Crack "mid move".
Hey Anni, is that Millstones shot HDR? You've got a lot lighter foreground than I managed!

Paul
 Anni 22 Feb 2012
In reply to Paul Evans:

Yes it is. Shhhh, you'll have my lynched for it
 Blue Straggler 22 Feb 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Dan Lane)
>
> I made a fleeting appearance with the dawn brigade but then had to do a runner as I had arranged to go climbing. I was just happy-snapping, really. Results (with a few totally artless climbing shots) here http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-straggler/sets/72157629398177783/

Labelled and commented these - some necessary self-critique, regardless of the "happy-snapping" excuse.
>

icnoble 22 Feb 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler: I really like the infra red photographs. The one titled More elements and rules is a cracker.
 Paul Evans 23 Feb 2012
In reply to icnoble:
Agree, the IR shots are really interesting - my fave is "Elements". The "contrasting circles and triangles shapes" thing just does it for me (and the weird B&W effect that the IR film gives).
Paul
 Jim Haydock 23 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
Gutted - just seen this post and wished I had found it earlier and tagged along.
Dan, keep us informed if there's another one planned.
Malham/Yorks dales is an awesome area - hint hint !!

Anni - love the HDR stuff (and the macro too !) would love to learn HDR - you any good at teaching (lol)

JH.
 Blue Straggler 23 Feb 2012
In reply to Paul Evans:

Thanks Paul. For the record these were digital infrared though, not film.
Any of the IR shots that have a green tinge to them are ones that I decided to leave almost "as is" (apart from minor levels tweaking) - the camera rather whimsically tints the mono images green in IR mode as it calls it a "Night Mode". I usually convert them to mono grey or put a mild sepia tinge onto them but for "The Cowperstone", "Elements" and "More Elements & Rules" I left them greenish.
 Tall Clare 23 Feb 2012
In reply to Jim Haydock:

A dales meet sounds like a great idea!
 Anni 23 Feb 2012
In reply to Jim Haydock:

Agreed, Dales does sound good, and there's a shot near Malham I'm itching to get!!

HDR isn't that difficult, I've got photomatix for the blending process. The real work is in making it look natural rather than overdone! Drop me a mail if you like
OP Dan Lane 23 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:

As you know anni, I'm not a fan of HDR, but you've done a good, subtle job.

I might eventually get my act together and get some photos online, I've been pretty busy this week, framing my photos for the SHAFF exhibition, it's amazing how long it takes to cut a mount perfectly for each photo!

maybe we could go further affiend for the next meet, who knows?
 Jim Haydock 24 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni:

Thanks Annie, you have mail

JH.
 craig h 25 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Not too many photos from the day; but think this one captures what we got up to once we hit Froggatt Edge

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21913923@N03/6904290357/in/photostream

OP Dan Lane 26 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Finally, I've got something on my blog: http://www.danlanephotography.com/articles_216082.html
 icnoble 26 Feb 2012
In reply to Anni: Well Done Anni in getting into the top 10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...