UKC

Pump Me Tenderly, Winspit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jimtitt 26 Feb 2012
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Why not the pub in Burgate? Though I´m willing to bet that it´s neither!
Dave Hadler 26 Feb 2012
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: You can do it without the heel hook, just really press with the toe. but if you do use the heel, really rock that knee over! You don't need a heel round the arete. Good luck!
 jacobjlloyd 26 Feb 2012
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: That left heelhook always feels good to me - never popped it and i've done the route a fair few times. Its a decent sized positive edge! Maybe you were using something lower? I've seen many people struggle to find the sequence, but never someone struggle to keep the heel in. And never someone do the move without..
In reply to jacobjlloyd:

>I've seen many people struggle to find the sequence, but never someone struggle to keep the heel in. And never someone do the move without.

Well, you should have seen my partner (who was trying the picture method and whose heel kept coming off), and me - I did it without fairly easily with my inside left foot on the good hold the chap has his right on, open the knee out to the left, sit down a bit to milk the pinch on the arete, and reach up. I suspect it's span-dependent, though, and I can see the method in the picture will work fine as long as the foot stays.

In reply to Jim Titt, really, there are two pubs in Dorset/Hampshire called Tudor Rose? I wonder why - it's not a common pub name, is it? I just supposed the other one was famous 'cos it's always in the Good Beer Guide, but I suppose not everyone's a CAMRA fan.

jcm
 jimtitt 26 Feb 2012

The other is in Burgate just north of Fordingbridge, though whether it´s always been called that I can´t remember. Always the first place to get a pint after Matchams park on the way to Salisbury so we never looked at the name!
Tudor Rose was climbed before CAMRA was anything but a bunch of anoraks and the pub in Romsey belonged to Strongs of Romsey I expect so not exactly a choice for fans of good beer in those days!
Scott still has contact with Richard Crewe so he could ask him I suppose.
In reply to jimtitt:

Actually TR was climbed in 1974 and CAMRA was founded in 1971, while the first edition of the GBG was published in 1974 and featured the Romsey TR, as did every edition up to 1992. So in a sense the timing is quite good.

At least, according to a yellowing article on the wall in the Square and Compass.

So why on earth does Dorset have two pubs called the TR, I wonder?

jcm

Hmm. Google tells me that the top meaning of TR these days is a car park at Gatwick Airport. I actually didn't know what it was though - apparently it's a half-red, half-white rose to symbolise the union of the houses of York and Lancaster, and is in some sense our national emblem. Well I never.

jcm
 Dean177 04 Mar 2012
When i did it i was expecting to hook the right arete.
The moment of realization when i hooked with the left foot was quite satisfying.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...