UKC

Anyone a PE teacher?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stanners 14 Mar 2012
Hi guys/girls
If anyone is a PE teacher, could you let me know the ups/downs of the Job?
I'm thinking of becoming one for the evenings, weekends, holidays and of course the enjoyment of teaching.
Universities that offer a direct PE teaching course would be good to hear of as well.
cheers
Rob
 John Ww 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:

See Brian Glover's immortal performance in "Kes". That should tell you all you need to know about the wonderful world of PE teaching!
 earlsdonwhu 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners: Not sure about looking forward to weekends.... in many schools they may still expect that you are involved in fixtures on Saturdays. Some may do tours etc. in holidays.

As with any other subject, it will be more rewarding if pupils are motivated. Just because you ( and I) love our sport, many kids are lazy and have no interest in anything strenuous. Admittedly, it can be rewarding when those who don't excel at academic subjects can succeed in sport.
OP Stanners 14 Mar 2012
In reply to John Ww:
funnily enough I had to write a film review for 'Kes' the other week for my English GCSE. Wrote a bit about his bobby charlton impression.
OP Stanners 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: *like*
 Yanis Nayu 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners: I think you need to go through psychometric testing to ensure that you're enough of a psychopathic bully to qualify. You then get to use imaginative techniques for beating small children for your own pleasure and enjoyment. I'm not a PE teacher but I do have experience of their methods.
 JamesRich 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:
"Those that can't do, teach, and those that can't teach, teach gym."

OP Stanners 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
hmm not sure what school you went to mate. Our "legend" of a PE teacher (as we call him) doesn't tend to use those methods...
marmot hunter 14 Mar 2012
In reply to JamesRich:
Ensure you will still be able to run around when you're 68 as the Govt expects you to be fit enough to do the job until then if you want your pension. Unlike other Govt careers- Police, Fire etc.
I'd also suggest having enough gumption to find the course providers on the internet might well be a requirement!
OP Stanners 14 Mar 2012
In reply to JamesRich:
got to love 'school of rock' when Jack Black says that.
 toad 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners: I really hope that teaching methods have changed since the 1970's. My high school years are a bit of a blur, tbh. But the one thing that does stand out is the behaviour of the PE teachers. I don't know what you'd call it. I don't think it qualifies as brutality or bullying, though there were elements of both, maybe it's some form of active indifference. Allowing the kids who didn't get team sports to fall on their arses, and not bother to look back to see if they were getting up again.

It'd be interesting to know if your "legend" was a legend to all. The fact that you're climbing is a point in his favour. It was a geography teacher who had to introduce that at my school. Didn't get much back up from the PE dept, either
OP Stanners 14 Mar 2012
In reply to toad:
sounds grim old-school PE. The government/ education system has in recent years introduced 'new PE' which is about getting everyone involved and offering hundreds of different types of sports to kids. Although as mentioned in the "fat kids" thread - if I become a teacher I will want to emphasize individual non-team sports such as climbing, cycling etc... as I understand main stream sports such as footy and rugby are not everyone's cup of tea so offering sports where kids can develop by themselves with no pressure seems more ideal. Getting kids into sports that they can feel they can enjoy and get better in has got to be a rewarding part of the job
OP Stanners 14 Mar 2012
In reply to toad:
was your ukc username the nickname given to you by the PE teachers at your school as a result of their brutality and bullying?
In reply to Stanners: I don't know what school this lot went to but none of my PE teachers were psychopaths or bullies! I'm not 100% but I think you need to teach PE and something else, like history or geography these days. Someone will be along in a sec to confirm whether this is true or not I'm sure...
 toad 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:
> (In reply to toad)
> was your ukc username the nickname given to you by the PE teachers at your school as a result of their brutality and bullying?

Ha, not when I'd got an alliterative surname.

Yanis Nayu 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners: My PE teacher, Killer Kelly, used to get some kids to rub mud in other kids' faces, make you stand against a wall and throw a basketball next to your head, hook a hockey stick around your neck and pull you toward him for further punishment, belt your bare legs with cricket bats and rubber plimsolls, crack you on the back of the head with his knuckles, swing you round by the sideburns, give you detention that involved every spare moment of the day so you couldn't eat all day, and it didn't matter what sport you excelled at, if it wasn't rugby you were on the scrapheap. He was an absolute cnut. I'd like to meet him now.
 earlsdonwhu 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners: Offering lots of alternatives to Rugby,Hockey and Cricket is fine but things like recreational badminton where there isn't even any desire to move towards the shuttlecock is pretty disheartening.

In a climbing wall session this afternoon I was told by one Year 11 today that he'd sooner be in the library. Rugby, hockey and X-C were too strenuous so climbing was his favourite games option but the library would be a better prelude to an evening on X Game Call of Fifa thumb wiggling!
OP Stanners 14 Mar 2012
thats mental, even army recruits aren't allowed to be treated like that. I'll bare in mind some of those methods if I ever end up teaching an especially incompetent child.
 timjones 14 Mar 2012
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

>it will be more rewarding if pupils are motivated.

Surely the teacher is there to motivate the pupils. In my day PE teachers were predominantly talentless individuals that totally failed in this area ;(
OP Stanners 14 Mar 2012
In reply to timjones:
PE is definitely now a more important part of the curriculum. At least its been re-designed. So no one on here is actually a PE teacher??
 John Ww 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:

I wouldn't count on it. You are of course aware that PE staff are also objects of derision for all other subject teachers? Not for nothing are they referred to as "knuckle draggers", "wooden tops", "the illiterati" and so on.

ps - what has an IQ of 111?

Yep, that's right - 111 PE teachers!
 scotclimb 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners: Hi stanners if you dont mind me asking,whats your age.
I myself was thinking of doing the same but as i have just turned forty i think i may be to long in the tooth?.
Scott
 John_Hat 14 Mar 2012
> (In reply to Stanners) I'd like to meet him now.

Could go and find out where he is buried and dance on his grave?
In reply to John Ww: Once again the Oatmeal is on the money http://theoatmeal.com/pl/senior_year/pe
 Darron 15 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:
> I'm thinking of becoming one for the evenings, weekends, holidays and of course the enjoyment of teaching.

Unless you can genuinly put these reasons in the reverse order I would be wary of entering the profession. If you can - go for it. It's brilliant.
OP Stanners 15 Mar 2012
In reply to scotclimb:
hey scott, I'm 17 and am only just considering university. 40 isn't that old considering teachers retire relatively late. Definitely go for it if your keen on the idea.
cheers
OP Stanners 15 Mar 2012
In reply to Darron:
although one should be mostly doing it for the actual Job, I know at least two teachers at my school who have obviously gone into teaching so they can climb loads. They seem to like the job but certainly make the most of evenings and weekends and holidays. I see them most nights at the local wall, and know from looking at there ukc that they climb most weekends and tons in the holidays. ----really hope they dont read this otherwise I'll be serving detention! (suppose I can just talk to them about climbing)
 doz generale 15 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:

My favorite PE teacher is now in Jail for bumming some of the kids. Oddly i felt put out that he didn't ever try it on with me!

OP Stanners 15 Mar 2012
In reply to doz generale:
it has to be said that most paedo teachers are pe teachers. Guy in a school in bristol who i knew was recently convicted. shame as he was such a nice guy...but i suppose he got too friendly
 earlsdonwhu 15 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:
40 isn't that old considering teachers retire relatively late.

Now you are being silly!

Teachers who retire at 65 live to about 67 while those who retire st 60 live to over 80! Not much incentive to keep working.

Yours EWHU ,.... aged 55 and planning for retirement : )
OP Stanners 15 Mar 2012
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
enjoy your retirement! although surely 55 is quite early!
 Timmd 15 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:
> (In reply to earlsdonwhu)
> enjoy your retirement! although surely 55 is quite early!

Perhaps that's the idea? ()
 Darron 16 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:

I climb most weekends and every holiday too. The point I was making is that teaching can be a very stressful job and I would not advise anyone to go into the profession just for the hols. You need to be capable of doing it and (preferably!) enjoying it.
 earlsdonwhu 16 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners: I might not manage it for a couple of years but the intent is there, After 34 years I think I am running out of energy! And that is not as a PE teacher but a geographer who helps with games.

Can you see yourself demonstrating eg. gymnastics as a 55 year old? It could be quite frustrating 'only' being able to do a bit of gentle refereeing ! You may have escaped into a more managerial role by that age but PE staff's intellectual reputation dictates that they are usually ignored and historians etc become deputies and heads!
Bingers 17 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:
> (In reply to timjones)
So no one on here is actually a PE teacher??

On the basis, that to be on here, you actually need to be able to read and preferably type, I'm going to guess that there are no PE teachers on here.

Admittedly this might also be because they are in the pub right now, but mainly for the reasons above.

George Ormerod 17 Mar 2012
In reply to andyhodges:
> (In reply to JamesRich)
> Ensure you will still be able to run around when you're 68 as the Govt expects you to be fit enough to do the job until then if you want your pension.

Should be easy, I've never seen a PE teacher break into a run.
 BenTiffin 17 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners: I'm not a a PRE teacher but do teach.

Teaching can be great as a job, a lot of outside of school work involved - not just 9-3, can be 9-7 on some days if you are involved in extra curricular clubs, etc. and of course there is the marking involved.

PE teachers often see a different side to the school as often (but not always) the non academic, trouble causing kids in the classroom come to their own in PE. However, there are then the kids who don't want to do PE and rarely have kit as well as those who do bring kit but put minimal effort in.

Your comment about evenings/weekends/holidays however seems as if you want to do it in a non-school environment?

Ben
 Enty 17 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:
> (In reply to Darron)
> although one should be mostly doing it for the actual Job, I know at least two teachers at my school who have obviously gone into teaching so they can climb loads.

Every climbing teacher I know ( and I know quite a few) went into the job for one reason - the ratio of pay to time off to climb is one of the biggest. Maybe firefighter is comparable.

Back in the 80's and early 90's when I was at Uni it was a done deal that if you were clever enough and into climbing you went into teaching for the big holidays.

E
 Enty 17 Mar 2012
In reply to andyhodges:
> (In reply to JamesRich)
> Ensure you will still be able to run around when you're 68 as the Govt expects you to be fit enough to do the job until then if you want your pension.

Stop moaning Wiggy - anyone intelligent enough to become a teacher in the first place will be intelligent enough to make sure that they are not running out onto a muddy football pitch when they are 68. (unless they want to)

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...