UKC

How do you cheer yourself up after a crap climbing session?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 worthy1 28 Apr 2012
I've been recently managing to climb some 6b routes at my local wall and today tried climbing some other 6bs only to find I couldn't even get past the first move or couldn't get far at all! Thus I'm feeling really frustrated and admittedly well cheesed off with myself. Hence my question, would do you guys do to cheer yourself up when things haven't gone your way in a climbing session?
 timjones 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:
> I've been recently managing to climb some 6b routes at my local wall and today tried climbing some other 6bs only to find I couldn't even get past the first move or couldn't get far at all! Thus I'm feeling really frustrated and admittedly well cheesed off with myself. Hence my question, would do you guys do to cheer yourself up when things haven't gone your way in a climbing session?

Step down a few grades and enjoy climbing them in good style. Don't be obsessive about grades, there's much more to climbing than ticking indoor grades.
 JH74 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:

Shake it off and start planning the next one...
 Trangia 28 Apr 2012
In reply to timjones:
> (In reply to worthy1)
> [...]
>
> Step down a few grades and enjoy climbing them in good style. Don't be obsessive about grades, there's much more to climbing than ticking indoor grades.

Well said.

Too many people forget why we climb. It's meant to be for fun, becoming obsessed spoils that fun.
 Tiberius 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:

Go again until I have a good one
 Howardw1968 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:
To me a good climbing session is one where I have done lots of climbing. even better if I haven't injured myself! Most of the time I dont get to the top of the routes. I tend to climb to the first difficult bit and fall off, then work out how to get past that bit and do it again and then fall off at the next difficult bit!

Its about feeling like I've had a good exercise rather than what numbers (although no one wanted to do the 2+ route with me
The answers lies before you got their

I think start with wow I'm off to the wall/crag. Thats what I love

Then add grades as a bonus not an expectation

Particulalry as grades are so so objective

did you do any easier routes?
 _MJC_ 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1: Even if you normally climbed well above 6b, it doesn't mean you can't fall off one. I wouldn't worry about it.
In reply to worthy1:

Don't finish on something you can't do.

Do the hard stuff in the middle of the session but make the last two or three routes ones you enjoy and have wired so you finish feeling good.
 Redsetter 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1: Its normal !! I have been climbing over 20 years, and believe me there have been some nights at the wall when i have been uterlly crap, cant fall off, cant climb properly, generally moaning and annoying the missus...GO home ! If your not having fun do something about it..If you plotted my climbing moods on a graph it would be like a mountain range.... Its only a sport, or training for the real thing out side..... Go plan a climbing holiday, go for a walk, go for a beer, go home and get your rack out, play with your nuts, plan the next day out.....move on....its not worth it !
OP worthy1 28 Apr 2012
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:
I appreciate everyone's comments but I'll defintely ensure I do climbs that I can finish at the end of my next session ! I also take on the point that you shouldn't be obessive about grades but I use them as how to mark my progress and provides focus upon which to formulate my training session. I've done no outdoor climbing and don't intend to. Indoor climbing is something I do to keep fit instead of going to the gym because it's a great for stress relief in that I can't think of anything else other than not falling off.
Anyhow the thought of having a nice bath followed by a glass of red tonight with a nice home cooked meal has stopped me sulking.
 john spence 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1: I've never had one but I'll ask my mate Tom who has one every time.
OP worthy1 28 Apr 2012
In reply to john spence:
I suppose you only climb with "Tom" to boost your ego ! Mind you I did find it a tad soul destroying when the chap I was with could climb the stuff I struggled with but at least I can put it down to me being a girl !
 Ava Adore 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:
Eat chips. And/or cake.
 _MJC_ 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1: You must really hate the pro's then :P
 althesin 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:
You really, really need to go and climb outside.
 SimonMarcYoung 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1: go to the pub definitely lol
 martinph78 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1: Beer. Then laugh at how crap you were
 Dom Whillans 28 Apr 2012
In reply to althesin:
> (In reply to worthy1)
> You really, really need to go and climb outside.

yep. lots and lots of that. ticking the guide book whilst sat in the pub after a day's climbing feels as good if you're ticking Diffs as when you're ticking E2s. That's my experience anyhow. the grades mean nowt, the climbing and the company mean everything...
OP worthy1 28 Apr 2012
In reply to _MJC_:
I aim to be a top amateur - I've been doing this climbing lark for 7 months!
 Bulls Crack 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:

Its a climbing wall. Some days are better than others. It really isn't worth getting down about!
 GraemeDiack 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:

I used to get really pi**ed off if I couldn't make the grade I expected. It would really ruin a good climbing session.

Solution:
If I was having a bad grade day I would start to climb routes that I knew I couldn't make, say about a letter grade above my limit. I have a good warm up on stuff below my limit, then once I'm stretched and ready I start a hard route, but the key is that my objective is to rest just before I get too pumped, shake out, then continue up the route, resting as many times as I need.

The good thing is it makes you feel happy about getting as far as you can, or even all the way up, a really tough route, as there are no expectations to get up it clean anyway, and the moves all add in to your climbing skills!

I admit that I am pretty much grade orientated, but I think that's what climbing is about for me, we all get out of it what we want out of it after all.
 cripper 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:
just drink yourself into oblivion.
but then i normally end up doing that most nights any even if i have had an ace day crushing every route i tried. or even if i havent been climbing. but thats just me.
 JoshOvki 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:

Have a worse session next time, that way the previous session seems like a really good one! Also finish the session the same way as I finish all climbing session, PUB!
 andyb211 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1: Masturbation! That should cheer you up with the added benefit of helping with grip strength, one should of course remember to swap hands to gain double benefits. If you require a hands off rest, lob it your lasses gob, I guarantee this will make your frustrated feelings disappear, you will then look forward, invigorated to your next crap climbing session. Enjoy!
 Dom Whillans 28 Apr 2012
In reply to andyb211:
as good as that suggestion might be; you make a rather large assumption re: the gender of the OP...
 stujamo 28 Apr 2012
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh: Couldn't agree more,good point well put.Works for me :O)
 JLS 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:

Chill. Accept that past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Some days will be good, some days will be bad. As long as you don't allow yourself to get disheartened the good days will tend to outnumber the bad.
 Ciro 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:

It is not possible to perform at a consistent level if you're training hard and advancing your grade. Your performance will peak and trough as your body repairs damage, reloads glycogen, etc. If you're intending to progress, it's best to accept this now, as the performance swings will get bigger as you go up the grades and push your body harder... stressing about the "bad" days can turn you into a very frustrated climber.

I can't remember the last time I had a "crap" climbing session. If I'm feeling weak, I spend the session concentrating on something technical - improving my footwork for example (if your only goal for the session is to be placing your feet on the holds cleaner by the end of the session than you were at the end of the last it's pretty hard to fail, since the last session you probably weren't paying it much attention), or honing a particular movement technique (try to find as many egyptian moves as possible on the lines you're climbing).

Not only does this mean you can always have a satisfying session, it also means your climbing improves *a lot* faster than if you're just trying to perform well all the time, so on the days you do go all out to perform, you'll perform much better.
 Dax 28 Apr 2012
In reply to worthy1:

Did you try your hardest on the routes? Did you push yourself both physically and mentally? If yes then you didn't have a crap session .. simple as that.
 Calder 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Ciro:

I like the sound of this, ta. Any other common drills you can think of off the top of your head? Probably worth me having a weakness identifying discussion with the pals, too.
 Ciro 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Calder:

Yep, that's always a useful conversation to have. Also worth begging them to *please* point out mistakes as you're making them during sessions - it's human nature not to be too critical of your mates but constructive criticism is so important.

Other drills might include:

Climbing with straight arms.

Leading with your feet (concentrate on bringing feet up first and moving the hands when the holds are in comfortable reach, rather than stretching yourself out for a hold and then bringing the feet up after)

Trying to move your body position so that you always de-weight the hand you're going to move before you move it (rather than going dynamically)

Or the opposite of course, drilling loads of deadpoints.

Flagging - try to eliminate foot swaps by flagging instead, or climb with one foot, just flagging with the other (so you can press it against the wall to eliminate barndooring, but no smearing or downwards pressure on holds).

Basically, just pick any element of technique and try to find a way to concentrate on that for the session
 Ciro 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Calder:

Oh, and not forgetting the most important drill of all - falling practice. You can never do too much falling practice.
 Calder 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Ciro:
> (In reply to Calder)
>
> Oh, and not forgetting the most important drill of all - falling practice. You can never do too much falling practice.

I'm on it already!

Cheers for the suggestions fella.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...