UKC

bouldering and camping without car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SonyaD 12 May 2012
So my young daughter and a few of her friends want to go on their 1st camping/bouldering trip without adult supervision. I'm so psyched for them to go, proud of my girl for getting out there without her mum in tow, for her first climbing trip with her mates (even if I'm driving them there! :oD

The whole trip will just be a Fri-Sun job and area dependent of forecast, but they are liking the idea of a trip down to Northumberland to go bouldering.

Are there any areas for bouldering that are near campsites that they can walk to quite easily from the campsite?

Or are there any areas where it is okay to doss/wild camp (sensibly of course) that don't have a massive walk in lugging a tent etc?

Grades they'd be looking at are up to V6 or up to Font 7a (dunno how they equate but my daughter was working Font 7a during a recent trip there) and they all boulder well.

Cheers for any tips.

Also, if the weather is duff in Northumberland can anyone suggest any other venues (not further South that Northumberland please) that have either campsite in walking distance or good doss spots where they can pitch a tent and leave it.
 petegunn 12 May 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:
Hi Sonya, there are a few camp sites in and around Wooler, though its a bit of a walk to get to places like Bowden/Back Bowden/Kyloe/Raven's Crag, the bouldering is superb.

Wooler - Highburn House- small+ friendly 01668281344
Wooler- Bridge End 0166881447

Hope these are of help
OP SonyaD 12 May 2012
In reply to petegunn: How much of a walk?
andyathome 12 May 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:
For Bowden / Back Bowden then http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=8977 might be an option. And they will be near the famous Belford Pie Shop.
OP SonyaD 12 May 2012
In reply to andyathome: Is that maybe about 1/2 hr walk to Bowden from that campsite? And Bekah will like the sound of famous pie shop
andyathome 12 May 2012
In reply to andyathome:
And its about 5k from Belford to Bowden. Last time I was there, BMC AGM a few years back some folks DID walk it!
andyathome 12 May 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:
Maybe call it an hour. And if they get transport Kyloe is not so far away.

Don't let Bekah get too excited - the 'famous Belford Pie Shop' is just a chippie really....
OP SonyaD 12 May 2012
In reply to andyathome: Hmmmm, not sure they will enjoy an hours walk in and back each day (lazy youngsters that they are!) But I'll mention it to them, cheers
 petegunn 12 May 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:
The site mentioned above would be the best as its a good 6-7miles from Wooler!
andyathome 12 May 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:
Afraid if they want a campsite then they are just gonna have to walk. Most of the country round there is farmland so 'wild' camping isn't really an option.

They could head off to the 'wilder' areas on the fringes of the Cheviots and stand a chance of wild camping but be really limited in terms of what they can do.

I'd go for the Back Bowden / Belford option myself but then - I'm not a local!
 petegunn 12 May 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:
Not sure about wild camping, but it may be possible up on the simonside hills. A good circuit is available on the many outcrops up there. Check out the Northumberland bouldering guide. Theres at least 4 or 5 areas all within easy walking distance if you camped in the middle somewhere. Not sure if its access land or forestry commission and would have to take all food etc. Would make for an excellent mini expedition though.
In reply to Sonya Mc: the bouldering around Rothley (which also has a 5m high limestone quarry about a 2-3 km's away) and Shaftoe are fantastic (gritstone-esq) but camping may be limited, check Bolam lake, Stamfordham or Wallington areas to find campsites within walking distance. Simonside/Ravensheugh could all be walked from Rothbury but it's 45-60 mins just from the carpark (the town is about 3 miles further away). Queens crag is an awesome spot, although it can be a little green and has some fairly highball problems, but there is a fair bit of camping nearby due to the proximity to Hadrians wall, and if the weather craps out, Newcastle can be reached via public transport in about an hour.
 geordiepie 13 May 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:

As an alternative how about St Bees? There's a camping barn nearby and I've heard that if you ask nicely, the farmer might let you camp in the field close to the cliffs. The bouldering here is top class.

Or possibly Langdale....stay at the NT campsite and you've got the Langdale boulders and Chapel Stile circuit close by.

Check the Lakesbloc website I think there's topos for both on there
 Jamie B 13 May 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:

What about Reiff? Harder to get to, but if they go up the coast a bit to the wee bay they can wild-camp in one of the most stunning areas around. There's lots of good bouldering, although not massively documented.

Kishorn? Torridon? Or get the train a bit further and go to the Peak...
 JDal 13 May 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc: Camping in Northumberland's climbing areas is a bit rare. The nearest for bouldering is Belford for Bowden/BBD. West Kyloe farm says it does camping, but I think they mean family camping. http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/northumberland/westkyloefarm.htm It's 2km from the Kyloe crags.

There are caves in the Simonsides, notably at Sandbag Crag, which is in the Bouldering Guide. I used to doss in that one when I was a nipper.

People occasionally doss under the overhangs at Kyloe In and BBD.

Wild camping is a bit of a non-starter in these areas.
 JDal 13 May 2012
In reply to petegunn:
> , there are a few camp sites in and around Wooler, though its a bit of a walk to get to places like Bowden/Back Bowden/Kyloe/Raven's Crag, the bouldering is superb.
> ...

Bit of a walk? 12-15km is a long way with bouldering gear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...