UKC

Camping under the Eiger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StuartCJones 13 May 2012
Does anyone have any suggestions for where to camp near the Eiger?

We'll be arriving in Grindlewald at about 8pm this coming saturday. Would we be able to get the train up to kleine scheidegg at that time and find a place to camp/bivi?

Any suggestions/recommendations welcome!
 Simon 13 May 2012
In reply to StuartCJones:

I think you would be lucky to get a train from Grindelwald up to kleine scheidegg at that time - as the last train in the opposite direction down the mountain is certainly earlier.

I think your best bet is to stay in Grindelwald & get the first train up the next day.

Not sure of your plans - but there is accommodation at kleine scheidegg - no camping as I'm aware?

I wouldn't advise a walk between the two locations - it's a long way before you even start!

Cheers

Si

Simon Pelly 14 May 2012

As other post suggests, doubt you'll get a train that late in the evening. Think the last one is around 5pm'ish.

We stayed at this site which had reasonable hot showers and an excellent views.

http://www.eigernordwand.ch/index.php?userlang=en
 popebenedictus 14 May 2012

There are two ways of getting the train up to kleine - either from Grindelwald which doesn't run late or get the grindelwald/lauterbrunnen train from Interlaken. At Zweiluchscheinen the train splits in half. half goes to grindelwald whilst the other half goes to lauterbrunnen. top tip - don't be on the wrong half of the train. You can get a late WengenAlpBahn train up to Wengen fom Lauterbrunnen. From there it is possible to walk up to kleine scheidegg.

Alternatively you could try Camping Jungfrau at Lauterbrunnen and get the train up to Kleine in the morning.

Hope this helps!

aultguish 14 May 2012
In reply to StuartCJones: Have a look at chartering a Heli. Expensive but you may already be a secret millionaire
 blackcat 14 May 2012
In reply to StuartCJones: Hi mate i was thinking of camping near the eiger this summer,there must be somewhere to camp rough other than campsites for those attempting the north wall,id have thought somewhere near wart not far from rotstock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...