UKC

Summer belay warmth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Olli-C 15 May 2012
I have no money but I want something to wish for when im shivering on the belay ledge this summer. What is the best summer belay jacket? Ie, something that you can stuff down and carry while climbing and throw over a t shirt at the belay/top to delay the shivers.
Should i just man up and grow a better metabolism?
 Chi Cheng 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C:

patagonia nano puff??
willriseley 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C: decathlon down jackets are only £35
 GrahamD 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C:

For summer, just carry a windproof with a hood - you can get something suitable in any of the budget outdoors shops. Also gives protection against showers.

Anything bigger and you are into carrying a pack territory.
 Ava Adore 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C:

Rab pertex gilet?
 1poundSOCKS 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C: My Arcteryx Atom LT is great when it's not too cold, the hood fits nicely over your helmet to keep the wind off your neck, and it packs into a very small stuff sack. No excuse not to man up though.

Mathew.
OP Olli-C 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C: Thanks for the replies, might try and find a wind proof. Do mountain equipment still make those £15 ones? or was that a deal i missed out on.
 Captain Gear 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C:

Hey,

A thin stretchy fleece pullover that you can roll the sleeves up on with a windproof on over the top is a good combination for summer rock climbing.

You're probably looking at about £40-50 for a good windproof with a hood. A hood isn't essentail but makes a massive difference to how warm you stay.

http://www.urbanrock.com/cirrus-wind-top

Arc'teryx make a great stretchy fleece called the phase SV which isn't too expensive despite being arc'teryx.

http://www.urbanrock.com/phase-sv-zip-neck-ls

Hope this helps.

jonnie3430 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C:

More recommendations for a windproof from me! Try ebay for a Montane Featherlite smock. It doesn't have a hood, but fits into your back pocket, so is easy to carry when climbing.

For fleeces, the decathlon forclaz 50 is a cracking light fleece and costs £7.
 GrahamD 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C:

Take a look at Mac in a Sack for under £20
 jonnie3430 16 May 2012
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Olli-C)
>
> Take a look at Mac in a Sack for under £20

I just saw a decathlon equivalent for £7! ( http://www.decathlon.co.uk/light-and-waterproof-jackets-clothing-sports.htm... ) It won't look pretty or last long but it'll do for the summer.
In reply to GrahamD:

> For summer, just carry a windproof with a hood - you can get something suitable in any of the budget outdoors shops. Also gives protection against showers.

e.g. Montane Litespeed currently at silly price (£26) at F&T

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/Products/Default.aspx?DescriptionFilter=montane...
 Fraser 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C:

I've been super impressed with my Rab Generator smock bought recently for just this purpose: totally windproof, warm and very light. Feels like you're not even wearing it. It's also kept me bone dry in a very heavy 5 minute downpour and is without doubt, the best £100 or so I've spent on gear.

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/primaloft_1/generator-pull-on.html

AlanLittle 16 May 2012
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I agree the Arcteryx Atom LT is great and is what I carry on longer alpine rock routes where I'm carrying a small rucksack or a large bumbag. For shorter UK routes I'd probably go for the windproof-jacket-and-shiver option, e.g. Montane Featherlite.

I got my Arcteryx LT half price; if you don't get it as a bargain it's still good but rather expensive. A Montane Prism is what I had before and is a similar but cheaper alternative, but cut, fit & finish is not in the same league.
 samthom 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C: Basically everyone loves pertex for this, doesn't matter about brand, just pick a good, cheap one. some even have a bit of super skinny primaloft then another layer of pertex (montane used to make one, not sure if still do) for the super gucci belay experience.
 nniff 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C:

Montane featherlite and a thin fleece for me. Rolled up and tied around my waist if it's a bit warm when climbing.
 Hannes 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C: The Uniqlo I was last in still had a couple of their very lightweight down jackets. They look and feel pretty much like the much more expensive ones, I think they were going for £40 on sale. If I had any money I would have bought one myself.
 Rachel Slater 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C:

A third for the arteryx atom LT jacket. Its pretty awesome and well worth the big investment Olli-C.
 iksander 16 May 2012
In reply to Olli-C: Light "bicomponent" top like Marmot Ether or Vapour Rise Lite Alpine if it's windy, or a primaloft vest if it's cold and still

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...