UKC

Avoiding the crowds in N.Wales this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chay 01 Jun 2012
Hi All,

Looking to get out this weekend Sat/Sun or Monday and wanting to find somewhere out of the way of the bank holiday crowds. Will be climbing with someone only up to S 4a max, so VD/S ideally, multi-pitch would be nice, single is ok. Just looking for somewhere that's likely to be a little quieter, but still have some nice climbing?

Was thinking Carnedd y ffiliast maybe?

Thanks,
GB
 George_Surf 01 Jun 2012
"It's gonna rain!"

Seriously though, the weather isn't looking great, a lot of the easier big mountian routes shouldn't be that busy but it will be wet. I would have thought people will be hunting the dryness either on Anglesey or at Tremadog....
OP Chay 01 Jun 2012
In reply to George_Surf: I know the forecast isn't great, it was supposed to rain today and i'm looking at blue skies and sun on Anglesey.

We don't mind a bit of wet,can always get on a D in the wet. We sort of ruled out Tremadog assuming it'd be busy. Holyhead mountain was an option but as my local crag i've done nearly everything on it (within my grade of course).

Just looking in the event of the weather turning out be not too bad. Somewhere likely to be a little quieter.

Cheers,
GB
 David Hooper 01 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22: Moelwynions are OK in the rain
 The Ivanator 01 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22: My tip would be Clogwyn Yr Oen in the Moelwyns, often dry when the Pass and Ogwen are getting bad weather, plenty of decent multipitch routes at VD and S, also grippy rock that is still climbable through a shower or two.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=862
OP Chay 01 Jun 2012
In reply to The Ivanator: Looks like some great routes up there! might be worth the drive over!!
 George_Surf 01 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22:

I was going to suggest the moelwyns, but if it's wet i don't think you would enjoy it that much. It's a really good spot for VD and S climbs though. Maybe one of the routes on the east face of tryfan? Grooved Arete will more than likely have people on it but FPR/ ORR/ Gashed Crag are other good options...
 jezb1 01 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22: As mentioned yr oen is good for those grades and the rock isn't too bad when it's wet.
In reply to GingerBread22: Craig Yr Ogof for Outside Edge (VD). Not likely to be deserted but certainly not a honeypot like Tremadog or Gogarth!
OP Chay 01 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22: Yea, outside edge might work, done that a few times in the wet!

East face of tryfan is good, cant stand the walk in though!
In reply to GingerBread22: Tryfan isn't that bad of a walk. Garnedd y filliast is further!
OP Chay 01 Jun 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Yea, it's not that far..i don't really know what it is i dislike, just really hate it. Great routes though!!
In reply to GingerBread22: the only real way of avoiding the crowds are to go for the long walk-ins but given that this is the longest weekend of the year this is no guarantee! Pob lwc.
 Hannes 01 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22: Maybe Clogwyn y Tarw, given the proximity of Idwal slabs it might not be too crowded
 DaveR 01 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22:

This is a good route that shouldn't be too busy!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=40744

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...