UKC

Gaping Holes...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BelleVedere 15 Jun 2012
...in your climbing CV

For me it's places I really should of climbed; I grew up in langdale, yet i only did my first route on east raven this week, and I've yet to climb in White Gill.

Where do you think you're missing out?
In reply to BelleVedere: I've never climbed at Gogarth!
 EZ 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

All things limestone. I like it but seem to end up always on grit or in Wales on rhyolite plus occasional slate.
OP BelleVedere 15 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

<looks rather sheepish> I've never climbed in wales...

Do you have plans to go?
August West 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:
>...I've yet to climb in White Gill.

White Ghyll has some of the best routes in the valley, get yourself up there next time you're in Langdale and the weathers is nice.

I have never climbed on Scafell (or indeed even walked up it!). And I've done virtually nothing in Wales (except for a couple of chossy limestone routes in a quarry somewhere near Cardiff and a scramble up Tryfan).

remus Global Crag Moderator 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere: Yorkshire grit, northumberland. Pretty much everything in the lakes (with a few notable exceptions.) malham, Gordale, pretty much everything on the Gower. This list is growing dismayingly long, haven't even considered places outside the UK yet!
In reply to Furthur:
> (In reply to BelleVedere)
> >...I've yet to climb in White Gill.
>
> White Ghyll has some of the best routes in the valley, get yourself up there next time you're in Langdale and the weathers is nice.
>

I think what makes it such an obvious omission is that I live in Langdale...
 deepstar 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere: The Lake District,I`ve never even been there.The nearest I`ve got is driving by on my way to Scotland.
August West 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

I think White Ghyll was the first place I climbed in Langdale (after the obligatory introduction at Middlefell Buttress).

The next route on my ticklist (not that I actually have a list) is White Ghyll Traverse, a 219m VS in 12 pitches. I'm hoping not to do it on a busy weekend or bank holiday though.
 Dave Ferguson 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:
Fairhead for me, really must get on and do something about it.
 Ava Adore 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

Slate. Never touched it.

Southern Sandstone too.
 Pagan 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

Scotland - done plenty of winter stuff but never done any rock routes up there. Shameful really.

Tremadog. People keep telling me it's good but it just doesn't inspire me.

Northumberland. As above.
 Max factor 15 Jun 2012
In reply to - UKC:

Nick, until the Jubilee weekend that was true of me too. Ok, we picked or routes carefully but for one thing, it wasn't as intimidating as its rep, and two, it was brilliant. you'd love it.

For me the gaps are CLoggy and midge country.
In reply to BelleVedere:
> <looks rather sheepish> I've never climbed in wales...

That is bad!

> Do you have plans to go?

I'd love to, but with my fingers the way they are, it isn't likely Perhaps I could manage a nice VDiff at Holyhead Mountain as a consolation prize instead...
 Jon Stewart 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

I've climbed in the Peak for a while, but never at Wharncliff. Am I missing much?
In reply to Ava Adore:
>
> Slate. Never touched it.
>
>

but do you want to?

August West 15 Jun 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:
>
> I've climbed in the Peak for a while, but never at Wharncliff. Am I missing much?

You're missing the 'e' off the end of Wharncliffe...

Bulls Crack 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

Fairhead...but it will come

And Cairngorms rock

Old Man
 goose299 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:
I've never climbed in Wales
In reply to BelleVedere:

Cloggy. There's plenty of other places I've never climbed at that I'm really keen to visit (Cwm Silyn, Kilt Rock, Pavey Ark, Esk Buttress, Carnmore, Pabbay, Arran, The Shelterstone, Beinn Eighe, Llech Ddu...) but Cloggy is the only one I'm actually ashamed of never having climbed on.
 Styx 15 Jun 2012
> [...]
>
> That is bad!
>
> [...]
>
> I'd love to, but with my fingers the way they are, it isn't likely Perhaps I could manage a nice VDiff at Holyhead Mountain as a consolation prize instead...

There's a belting Diff sea cliff route at Rhoscolyn just down the road:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=6832
 rustaldo 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere: the lake district. i always saw it as kind of optional.

the closest i got was actually driving up there, only for it to rain mercilessly.

still, i went to a good pub and watched berbatov score a hat-trick against liverpoo in arguably his finest hour for united.
 Baron Weasel 15 Jun 2012
In reply to Furthur: So when are we going to do the traverse then Further? Did Holly Tree Direct on Wednesday, though I still felt a little hazy after six cans of the village drunks cider on Tuesday night - luckily pretty easy for HVS though.

Baron
 rjb 15 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere: no one can claim to be a climber without visiting gogarth! i havent climbed much on sandstone but it doesnt really turn me on much to be fair
OP BelleVedere 16 Jun 2012
In reply to ADHD:
>i havent climbed much on sandstone but it doesnt really turn me on much to be fair

Torridon, Northumberland, Font - how does that not turn you on?
 James Oswald 16 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:
Scafell, Pavey and Dow in the Lakes.
All of Cornwall.
OP BelleVedere 16 Jun 2012
In reply to rustaldo:
> (In reply to BelleVedere) the lake district. i always saw it as kind of optional.
>
>

It probably is if you live in wales...
 Calder 16 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

Another shameful Cloggy confession. And also, amazingly, the Cromlech.

I've also been itching to go to Hoghton Quarry for a few years now - I'm hoping there's a decent dry spell over the next couple of months so I can make amends.

Oh, and there's also Whitestonecliffe, obviously.
 s.scott 16 Jun 2012
In reply to Calder:

I've never climbed on grit. Is that bad?
 LakesWinter 16 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere: Scafell and Pillar in summer, though I've climbed on both in the winter. Gogarth, Cloggy, Dinas Mot, Pembroke, High Tor, Shelterstone, the list goes on and on.
 LakesWinter 16 Jun 2012
In reply to s.scott:
> (In reply to Calder)
>
> I've never climbed on grit. Is that bad?

Nah, it's good for your soul not to have
 Calder 16 Jun 2012
In reply to s.scott:

You're no-one if you haven't ever done anything on grit.
 Chris the Tall 16 Jun 2012
> (In reply to BelleVedere) I've never climbed at Gogarth!

Let me know when you want to go and do Dream !
 Ann S 16 Jun 2012
In reply to Furthur:
>
The next route on my ticklist (not that I actually have a list) is White Ghyll Traverse, a 219m VS in 12 pitches. I'm hoping not to do it on a busy weekend or bank holiday though.

Was lucky enough to do this a couple of years ago on a brill weather day at the weekend. Had the place entirely to ourselves until the last couple of pitches by which time we were well out of the way of anyone else. It cleverly allows alternate leads where I always got the 'easy' pitches. Enjoy.
 Tall Clare 16 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

Lots of Yorkshire limestone, as I now live round the corner from most of it. Finally bought the guidebook today though
 Ava Adore 18 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> [...]
>
> but do you want to?

Most definitely. I appreciate that climbing on slate will be very very different to climbing on my "home" rock - grit. I look forward to the challenge at some point.
 gingerdave13 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> Slate. Never touched it.

likewise, and would love to. think it would really match my style!

i've done nowt in the lakes, only ever go with the missus for walking.
pasbury 18 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

Definately the wonders of Scotland.

Specifically Creag an Dubh Loch, Carnmore, Rock on the Ben, Shelterstone and the Hebrides.
OP BelleVedere 20 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

a good start

found anything that's lure you out yet?
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 24 Jun 2012
> (In reply to BelleVedere) I've never climbed at Gogarth!

What?! Get over here Nick the Big G is waiting for you!
 Morgan Woods 25 Jun 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

The lakes and Malham in the UK. Yosemite and the US in general. Maybe Frog Buttress, the Organ Pipes and Ben Lomond in Oz. Also Taipan Wall, although I haven't been good enough until the last 5-10 years.

For Europe, Dolomites, Provence, Presles, Riglos and Frankenjura...plus loads of Alpine stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...