UKC

Suitable forests for wild camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nightmonkeyuk 06 Jul 2012
I know might not be strictly legal, but any ideas for some decent forests in the north of england that are suitable for a bit of cheeky wild camping. Soon as the monsoon season has finished of course.
 Rob Exile Ward 06 Jul 2012
In reply to nightmonkeyuk: Kielder Forest?
OP nightmonkeyuk 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
Really?
 Rob Exile Ward 06 Jul 2012
In reply to nightmonkeyuk: Well it's a forest, it's big, and it's in teh North of England... Not sure what else you want.
 EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to nightmonkeyuk:

I think this may be of interest to you: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52767
 Lankyman 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Kielder is vast and includes large moorland areas as well as dense conifer plantations. As long as you are considerate (no open fires, no trace, stay out of sight and out of farmland etc) you should not have a problem. There is also at least one bothy up there. It's not strictly legal to wild camp anywhere in England (I think Dartmoor NP may be one of the few exceptions) but it is tolerated if you act responsibly. I suspect most Lake District wild campers don't realise they have little or no legal 'right' to camp out on the fells - the NT tolerate it if you are above the intake walls. I have camped in Grizedale Forest and not had a problem - I was out of sight and left no trace. Camping actually in the trees would not be that much fun - masses of downed branches, dripping trees, lumpy, boggy ground etc. This time of year the midges could get bad too if you don't pick an open site.
 jonoh 06 Jul 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...