UKC

How far do poeple cycle to work?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Got a job rob 11 Oct 2012
Simple one. How far do poeple cycle to work?

I am starting a new job 12 miles from home. I will be working 12.5 hour shifts, 3 days a week. What do you think poeple, do-able?
 The New NickB 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Got a job rob:

I think that is perfectly doable, but I guess it depends how physically taxing your long shifts are.
 ripper 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Got a job rob: doable well inside an hour each way in theory, but attractiveness depends on how hilly/trafficy/rainy it is, and how knackered you are at the end of the day, and how sweaty you want to be when arriving at work in the morning...
KevinD 11 Oct 2012

whats your job?
I used to cycle about that five times a week but then i sat behind a desk all day, if i was doing manual work would be different. Particularly after a long shift. Its ok leaving at 6 after a 8 hour day but when i worked a few more hours the ride home stopped being so fun.

So a caveated yes.

When I were young and fit (this is a very long time ago) I'd bike 14 miles to and from a physical job. These days it's five miles each way to a desk job which is quite OK.

As has been asked - how hilly is your intended route? What's the nature of your work? How many junctions/traffic lights on your route? What type of bike?

I'd allow an hour then adjust as you get to know the route and get fitter. Also don't try and do five days a week straight off - work your way in to it, just do a couple of days a week to begin with and build up.

ALC
OP Got a job rob 11 Oct 2012
In reply to dissonance: I am a nurse! I can shower at work before the shift. Its alone the A610 from South Wingfield to Chesterfield.
 tlm 11 Oct 2012

I do a hilly 4.5 miles there and 4.5 miles back and given my creakyness, I'm glad it isn't further, but I am also glad it isn't any less. I do it every day in all weathers, come rain come shine... I love cycling to work.
 Indy 11 Oct 2012

Used to do a 42 mile round trip and have the GarminConnect to prove it!
Now its closer to 14 miles RT but haven't been lately but will start once I get my new 'commuter'
 alooker 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Got a job rob: provided you're not extremely unfit and there aren't any killer hills it'll be a doddle!

Get some tough tyres though, my first couple of months doing 11 miles a day were riddled with punctures from the cycle lane.
loopyone 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Got a job rob: I'm not all that bike fit and on the odd occasion I do a hilly 10 miles takes about half an hour and providing it's a cold morning and I don't bust my chops I can do it in half an hour and get away with just a squirt of deodarant and a complete outfit change.
 VS4b 11 Oct 2012
In reply to tatty112:
25 miles each way. 2 sometimes three times a week.
 Chris Harris 11 Oct 2012

8.5 miles each way, 5 days a week, all year.

Apart from a week or two of ice & a few injured spells, I've done this every day for the last 16 years.

nniff 11 Oct 2012

22 mile round trip in London is viable and I've done that for a while.

My current plan is to cycle 15km to work, catching a train in the middle and cycle 62km back. I'd like to do that twice a week, but have you seen the weather recently? The decent weather and the days need to align, because I can't cope with that on consecutive days, unless I dawdle

JamButty 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Got a job rob: mine when I do it is 9 miles in down a hill, then 9 miles back up the hill - just the right way around.
Give it a go see how you get on - it also gets grimmer from now with winter so you'll need to man up when its cold and wet
 Nathan Adam 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Got a job rob: 2 miles in and 2 miles out each day, although that's on an old mountain bike that is too small for me and is a pain in general. If i could shower at college i would rather run it. 12 miles seem's doable. I even turned down the offer of a decent house because it was a 7 mile cycle everyday. But again, that's cos i have a shit bike !
 Oli Greg 11 Oct 2012
Very similar to you, nursing assistant with 12 hours shifts and 11 miles commute each way.
The ride takes 45 minutes on the way there and 50 minutes to an hour on the way home (depending on how the day's been). The big bonus for me is the shower at work, probably wouldn't ride if I couldn't shower before the start of shift.
I leave as much of my stuff at work to lessen the weight of my bag (shoes, shower stuff etc), pack everything and get the bike ready the night before and set my alarm for 5 to 10 minutes before I need to set off, quickly get dressed and go.
When I commute by bike I find that by the time I get home and have showered and sorted bits for the next day I have around 45 minutes to relax before buggering off to bed.
 aquazepp 11 Oct 2012

20 miles each way (including a 1:5 hill in both direction) 5 days a week.

Took a while to build up to doing it.
Talius Brute 11 Oct 2012

17 miles each way, most days (occasionally have Friday even off and go in on the weekend to pick up my bike). When I first started last winter it took a good few weeks to get used to it (and took me about 1hr15 door to door), and I'd quite often take a few days off per week, but stuck with it and now it takes me about 50 mins and I wouldn't go back to the train/tube.
 Kieran_John 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Got a job rob: Exactly the same distance as you, 5 days a week. I love it.
Talius Brute 11 Oct 2012

I would cycle further if I could lay my hands on some fresh EPO and could enforce my approach on my fellow commuters.
 ThunderCat 11 Oct 2012

Wythenshawe to Salford Quays - about 8 miles door to door. I currently do it about 4 days a week because on mondays I'll drive in with 5 clean shirts for the rest of the week (Got a really small backpack and they get ruffled to hell)

Tip 1) Hopefully you'll have showers at work. If you do, I'd recommend NOT using them as soon as you arrive - take 10 minutes to cool down, have a drink..other wise you'll come out clean but still sweating (well I do anyway)

Tip 2) Build up to it. I found I'd get massively fatigued by the end of the week when I first started. Sometimes the first week I'd be fine, but then the next week, I'd be knackered after the first ride in, almost like a delayed reaction from the previous week.

Tip 3) Enjoy it.
In reply to Got a job rob: 9 miles each way, showers at work, pretty flat.

No probs, but I don't do it as often as I'd like.
 ThunderCat 11 Oct 2012
In reply to ThunderCat:

I should add that my route is pretty flat, but I do have the added luxury of riding through Chorlton. Apparently they tested the Mars Rover out in Chorlton. If it could handle the potholes there, it could handle anything.

gethin_allen 11 Oct 2012
I only do ~9 mile round trip with the odd hill (harder on the way home). The lights and traffic are the worst part, but, after 3 weeks on the bus because of a broken wrist I can't wait to be back on the bike where I don't pay a fortune to sit next to people who smell like arse and cough and sneeze without covering their mouths.
To rub it in it takes me almost 3 times longer to get to work by bus as it does by bike.
 ThunderCat 11 Oct 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
> To rub it in it takes me almost 3 times longer to get to work by bus as it does by bike.

Hehehe, I feel your pain.

The car park at work is usually full by 7am, so if I drive, I have to leave at about 6:15.

If I bike it, I don't have to leave the house till about 8:15.

Extra two hours in bed. No brainer really.

Castleman 11 Oct 2012
In reply to ThunderCat:

27miles each way. Ride home once a week. That and the odd there and back day.
 brokenbanjo 11 Oct 2012

It's only about 3 miles for me. It ain't far enough, but it does mean I try and sprint it and go flat out. So far my cycle commute takes me on average 2mins longer than driving, although today I got that down to 1min 30secs.

Rubbishy 11 Oct 2012

Depends which route, but between 24 and 27 miles one way.

all good, except it is all very much uphill and into a headwind courtesy of the Wharfe valley home.

trick is to eat shitloads at work, otherwise blow up somewhere around Bramhope, which while bumping into a Lizzie or Brownlee looks a bit erm crap.
 ripper 11 Oct 2012
In reply to alooker: really? I've only ever had one puncture, after I hit a large, deep and vertically-sided pothole at 20mph in the dark
 TobyA 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Got a job rob: Currently 22kms each way, maybe riding 2 to 3 times a week depending on the rest of the families schedule. Found yesterday that if I have to take the kids to school (by car), it's pretty easy to take bike on the car, leave the car near the school, and ride into the centre from there (18 kms). The slight hassle increase is offset by being able to follow the nicest route along the river into the city: https://twitter.com/TobyinHelsinki/status/256504080048979968/photo/1/large
 Euge 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Got a job rob: I used to cycle 20miles to work 3 days a week...
12 miles... depends on terrain and if road/mtn bike, but perfectly doable.
Question is will you want to do it in the rain and snow????

E

When I first started work ( age 18) I used to cycle from Cullercoats to central Newcastle (near the end of the Tyne Bridge) most days. About 10 miles each way (unless the weather was bad and got the train -- yes train -- this was before the Metro was built).

Tuesdays and Thurdsays were chain gang nights - so in the winter I'd just ride home and have my meal before heading out round the 'Broadway' circuit, but in the summer I'd go to my GF's parents house at Gosforth before going out and doing about 35-40 miles at racing speeds with the gang before riding the 10 miles home.

Oh to be young and fit again!

aligibb 12 Oct 2012

I have a variable 12 - 15 miles each way depending on route, and whether I need to get milk for the office etc (2 pints fits perfectly into 2nd bottle holder!) I probably do it 3 days a week as some days not at the office/tired/finish too late etc. On the 3rd day in a row I can feel it in my legs but in a good way.

I definately have to up the food intake and luckily I can eat brekkie number 2 at work (porridge in winter) and then have a good snack before the ride home. rather than upping the portions I find adding more snacks between helps energy peaks and troughs which can sometimes be horrible on a tired day. I think the hardest thing for me is then having time to do food shopping and cook supper as by then I have got pretty hungry.

Warning though - its addictive! makes me feel a million times better, especially the ride home which is the last thing you feel like doing but a mile in you feel good again. Enjoy!
 alooker 12 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper: yeah, it's been broken glass, a screw, some strange bit of metal, huge thorns, potholes, the list goes on... Got some winter tyres with a mesh lining and now use them year round, haven't had a problem since.
Removed User 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Got a job rob: im retired now but for about 15 years i cycled 12 miles each way to work and back on both day and night shifts, felt great for it and was lucky enough to be able to shower and have breakfast etc before stating my shift. saved a fortune over the years and felt really healthy and fit at that time. good luck

My job used to be a 6 mile cycle in an i used to alternate cycling in with running home 5 days a week. Used to love it as the first 2.5 miles were down hill and i used to hammer it. If i were you i'd cycle in bus/train it home, bus/train it in for next shift and cycle home and then for your last shift of the week cycle in and back. Or, do the cycle in and back first shift of the week. As your fitness increases build up to every shift. Get organised, get a decent bike and wear the right gear and you'll be converted. Look into puncture proofing your tyres.
 Ciro 12 Oct 2012

I do about 7 miles each way, fairly flat so pretty easy. Used to do around 13 miles each way with a big uphill on the way home - that used to start to feel hard towards the end of the week if I was doing a lot of climbing or triathlon training... couldn't really have a proper rest day without taking the tube.
 MikeR 12 Oct 2012
I also live 12 miles from work and do 12.15 hr shifts. I occasionally cycle in, but only for night shifts as I draw a line at having to get up before 5am! As it's mostly down hill on the way in it's not too bad. Getting going at 7am after the shift is pretty bad though, especially knowing it's mostly up hill, but I'm committed by then, and it's ok once I'm going.

Takes me about 50 min on the way in and just over an hour on the way back, although 5 min of that is often spent waiting for a gap in rush hour traffic to leg it across the A90. Not the most fun part.

It always seems hardest to motivate myself the first time when I've not done it in a while, but I never regret it when I do.

Mike
 gingerdave13 12 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper: yup i'd agree, got tons of the buggers riding along a canal towpath which was littered with rubbish.
 adstapleton 12 Oct 2012

2.5 miles each way. Peace of piss.

The longest commute was 8miles each way in London. Also a piece of piss.
 adstapleton 12 Oct 2012

2.5 miles each way. Piece of piss.

The longest commute was 8miles each way in London. Also a piece of piss.
 jadias 13 Oct 2012

About 10 miles each way, a couple of small hills going and one monster coming back. Doing it all on a fixed gear about 3 times a week, depending on how much work I have to do.

Also 37 degree summers and no showers. Fun times!
 Rich L 13 Oct 2012
I am also a nurse working 12 hour shifts. My commute is only 2.5 miles each way, downhill on the way home so no problem if I am too knackered.

I am a charge nurse in ITU and I think clinical area and level of seniority can make a big difference to how tiring a shift can be. As a newly qualified staff nurse on a busy medical ward in an Inner London teaching hospital, I remember being run ragged. Looking after a stable ITU patient, I get to sit down quite often, although it can be draining mentally and emotionally. Shift leading can also keep me on my feet all day, and there are so many other stresses to wear you down.

Does your clinical area have a good attitude towards breaks? Nurses love being martyrs and skipping breaks. I would dread a long commute home on an empty stomach. Likewise, do you have opportunities to have regular drinks? I am always amazed at how fastidious we are at what our patients drink, then totally ignore our own hydration needs; what colour does your wee tend to be at the end of a shift?

Bear in mind that long shifts over the winter mean setting off and returning in the dark, and if the weather is pants it will be difficult to get motivated sometimes.

My wife is also a nurse, so I can always unload my problems on her when I get home. Being in the job, she is either incredibly understanding, or tells me to get over it. However, if that were not the case, I think cycling home is a fantastic way to wind down after a shift.

Sorry to ramble, have just finished 3 nights and am fighting sleep.

Rich
OP Got a job rob 14 Oct 2012
In reply to All: thanks people. I will look into getting a bike! But it has hit me was i started running and stopped cycling. I got run over three times in a year while cycling in Liverpool!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...