UKC

Music at the crag???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alanlgm 01 Nov 2012
whats the verdict on if I should take a stereo to the crag or not???

Music makes me climb so much better
 BoulderyDave 01 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm: Techno. It's the only way for people to party at the Cragg

Troll 0/10
In reply to alanlgm: Take what you wish; wear headphones.

T.
Is Thursday troll night?
 The Pylon King 01 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm:
> whats the verdict on if I should take a stereo to the crag or not???
>
> Music makes me climb so much better

I reckon you'd only need a small generator to power quite a reasonable P.A with some tasty subs.

alanlgm 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:

i just have a really really really long extension lead

but annoying when people try to tie into the plug though
 alooker 02 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm: just take your 4x4 up to the base of the crag and leave the doors open mate
 martinph78 02 Nov 2012
In reply to alooker: You can top rope of the tow bar as well and you can belay from the side facing back seats, nice and warm in this winter weather.
 Trangia 02 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

When I climbed Naranjo de Bulnes in the 1980s the hut warden had two huge speakers aimed at the mountain and was pumping out very loud music....
 graeme jackson 02 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm:
When I was on Billy Whizz (2nding) sometime in the early 80's a couple of guys on pool wall had the beach boys on a ghetto blaster. really enjoyed it.
Yrmenlaf 02 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

So if it makes you climb better, its a form of aid?

We'll need to rewrite guide books

"Three Pebble Slab" VS 4c (with music)

Y.
 maybe_si 02 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

I quite enjoy a little bit of music at a crag, would never do it when there was lots of other people around but if its just me and a buddy then its quite nice to have an ipod with a mini speaker on the go

Im sure that many people on here will think that this makes me scum but I really dont care! :p
 The Pylon King 02 Nov 2012
In reply to maybe_si:
> (In reply to alanlgm)
> its quite nice to have an ipod with a mini speaker on the go
>
> Im sure that many people on here will think that this makes me scum but I really dont care! :p

I think its a great thing to do.

When i go to gigs i tend to take along pics of crags and climbs so i can look at them whilst listening to the band. well cool.
 Madden 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies: I really don't understand the ridiculous anti-music attitude on UKC.

I enjoy music at the crag too. Nobody else is usually there, and when they are, I turn it off if they seem to mind.

To hell with your opinions!
 Cake 02 Nov 2012
Have you been to Millstone recently and getting ideas?
In reply to Madden:
> (In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies) I really don't understand the ridiculous anti-music attitude on UKC.
>
> I enjoy music at the crag too. Nobody else is usually there, and when they are, I turn it off if they seem to mind.
>
> To hell with your opinions!

I love music at crags, at the moment particularly on a Throbbing Gristle/ Cliff Richard mash up tip.

Also had a great idea recently were i will bring up a small diesel generator and a PA system to the crag (maybe Stanage?) and then mike up the Diesel generator and put it through the PA. wicked.
Yrmenlaf 02 Nov 2012

It'll sound like a whole load of 4x4s going past.

Y.
In reply to Yrmenlaf:
> (In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies)
>
> It'll sound like a whole load of 4x4s going past.
>
> Y.

yeah but turned up to ELEVEN!!!!

I carry a lump hammer in my rucksac so that i can destroy any music playing device i come across at the crag.
 pneame 02 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm:
Should enable surreptitious dry-tooling as well, as the music will drown out the sound of metal chipping the rock.
Great idea
 simon kimber 02 Nov 2012
Diesel generators are so 90's, its all about lightweight 12v systems nowadays.
Or, on a much more practical note, the beatifully designed, super rugged Minirig:
http://minirigs.co.uk/

Just enjoy your tunes responsibly, yeah. So if it's just you and a few mates bouldering at some esoteric/urban venue what's the problem? But most people do have terrible taste in music so as soon as someone else turns up, at the first hint of a disapproving look, please turn it off!!
 lukas richardo 02 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm: for a while I considered it my life mission to establish a new year rave on the top of Ben. Generator, decks, speakers, etc to be lugged up by willing bodies. Great training for transiting loads I imagine. And a welcome change from gpmg's for any army folk familiar with mountainous training. Alas, this is yet to happen. I'd love to see the early new year risers faces as they come within sight/ hearing range of the summit. I assume similar feats have been achieved... Any stories?
 The Pylon King 03 Nov 2012
In reply to lukas richardo:
> (In reply to alanlgm) for a while I considered it my life mission to establish a new year rave on the top of Ben. Generator, decks, speakers, etc to be lugged up by willing bodies. Great training for transiting loads I imagine. And a welcome change from gpmg's for any army folk familiar with mountainous training. Alas, this is yet to happen. I'd love to see the early new year risers faces as they come within sight/ hearing range of the summit. I assume similar feats have been achieved... Any stories?

Love it!!
 Ava Adore 03 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

Do it! REALLY LOUD!!!!
 henwardian 03 Nov 2012
Loving the thread. Not had such a good laugh in ages. Only thing I would add is, assuming you are turning up to a busy crag with lots of people mid-route, surely the only song you should be playing is: youtube.com/watch?v=5gqT6En2O78&

> (In reply to alanlgm) for a while I considered it my life mission to establish a new year rave on the top of Ben.

If you let me know at least 6 months in advance so I don't book any foreign holidays, I'll help carry stuff up. Assuming you are serious.

JayK 03 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

Turn it off!
 cbeard 03 Nov 2012
Technologically, a rave on the Ben should be easy to pull off. A few years back, a swiss team put a 20 person jacuzzi on the summit of Mont Blanc: http://www.jaccuzzi.ch/index_e.html

My best music/climbing experience has to be 13 pitches up 'The Angels Crest' on the Stawamus Chief in Squamish, with a music festival 600 m below. Certainly a change from the norm!
 tom290483 03 Nov 2012
In reply to maybe_si:
> (In reply to alanlgm)
>
> Im sure that many people on here will think that this makes me scum but I really dont care! :p

Yes you are scum. But only cos your music choice is shit and its normally me or andy that have to highjack it!

Yrmenlaf 03 Nov 2012
> (In reply to alanlgm) for a while I considered it my life mission to establish a new year rave on the top of Ben.

A live acoustic set is the way forward. Has the grand piano been taken down from there, yet?

Y.
 lukas richardo 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Yrmenlaf: my understanding is that it is to be left by way of a memorial to those enterprising enough to get it there. I hear it doubles as an anchor, and, when in the right hands, adds to the forbidding atmospherics of the place. Incidentally, big ups to the new cairn builders - which are beautifully crafted by all accounts.
 lukas richardo 03 Nov 2012
In reply to henwardian: oh yes I'm quite serious. Thanks for your positive feedback people. It's been an up hill struggle ( literally ) trying to give this idea some traction. I should have known the good role of ukc would see sense to my madness. Of course I exclude the doubtless majority who have looked and moved on... Gulping at our idiotic Vision of rave nirvana. X
 Madden 03 Nov 2012
In reply to lukas richardo: I'll help with that! and i'm sure some of my friends will too
 henwardian 04 Nov 2012
> (In reply to henwardian) oh yes I'm quite serious. Thanks for your positive feedback people. It's been an up hill struggle ( literally ) trying to give this idea some traction. I should have known the good role of ukc would see sense to my madness. Of course I exclude the doubtless majority who have looked and moved on... Gulping at our idiotic Vision of rave nirvana. X

I can try and rope in some other people when it's planned. No promises though. I think you would have more chance if you made it a weekend in winter rather than hogmanay though, lots of people have specific hogmanay plans. Could go with the weekend of the longest night.
Dunno if you could make it a charity event too, everyone sees something as more worth their while if it sounds like a laugh AND they can justify it as being morally righteous too. Might end up having to get permission if it was going to be like a charity event though, dunno how that would go.
Food for thought
 henwardian 04 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Yrmenlaf) Incidentally, big ups to the new cairn builders - which are beautifully crafted by all accounts.

do they still lead in a neat line from the trig point to the edge of the north face? I always thought that was a particularly fine practical joke.
 Roberttaylor 04 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm: I particularly enjoyed leading a pitch in the evening in El Chorro with a hippy drum circle going on 200m or so below. It really added to the experience.

R

lukas richardo 04 Nov 2012
In reply to henwardian: kind of. I think they are to replace the gully posts removed some time last year. It seems a little coy to conflate out and out hedonism with a charitable gesture, but hey, thats not at all unusual these days so I'm open mined. The most important thing would be to make sure we leave the place immaculate. Not so easy when ur dealing with people with their party hat on.
 Bulls Crack 04 Nov 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Someone was playing the flute at Horseshoe the last time I was there - sure beat the climbing!
 Hephaestus 05 Nov 2012
In reply to simon kimber:
> Or, on a much more practical note, the beatifully designed, super rugged Minirig:
> http://minirigs.co.uk/
>

It just needs a gear loop and I'd never have to listen to birdsong on a route again. Most excellent!
 simon kimber 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Hephaestus:
> (In reply to simon kimber)
> Or, on a much more practical note, the beatifully designed, super rugged Minirig:
> http://minirigs.co.uk/
>
>
> It just needs a gear loop and I'd never have to listen to birdsong on a route again. Most excellent!

Just pop it in a little dry bag along with your mp3 player, clip it on your harness and hey presto, you can annoy the f*ck out of anyone in a 100m radius, even in the rain!
They are seriously awesome, proper loud, last for ages on a single charge and when it gets low you can charge from usb, so any little solar panel will do it and everyone has a usb socket in the car these days. You can even daisy chain a load together to make a sweet line array! These things are building up quite a cult following.
 deepsoup 05 Nov 2012
In reply to simon kimber:
> You can even daisy chain a load together to make a sweet line array!

Line array /= a bunch of random speakers arranged in a line.
 staceyjg 05 Nov 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

We werent quite at the crag, but blues brothers full blast out of the car in Millstone carpark went down astoundingly well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...