UKC

VIDEO: Mina Leslie-Wujastyk - Midnight Lightning V8

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Videos 12 Nov 2012
[Mina Leslie-Wujastyk - Midnight Lightning V8]
In this short video Mina Leslie-Wujastyk climbs what is perhaps the world's most famous boulder problem - Midnight Lightning in Yosemite Valley, California, USA.

Watch the video: http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=1357
 PeterJuggler 13 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC Videos: Such an amazing problem. I'd love to try it sometime.
 Morgan Woods 13 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

Superb....quite an interesting sequence she used (ie palming down on the lip)....is that how everyone does it?
 Calder 13 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

Superb. Love the bit at the end - [Looking around quizically, and pointing] "How do I get down?!"
 jwi 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Morgan Woods: Climb like Güllich! See around 1:40 in this youtube.com/watch?v=FvH9AKBwiRc&
In reply to UKC Videos:

Watching MLW (who let's face it isn't bad) struggling up it like that puts into perspective how bloody good Lynn Hill was (surely the best climber ever?). There's a video of her on the internet somewhere doing it 20+ years ago (first female ascent, I think), looking like silk.

jcm
 Michael Ryan 13 Nov 2012
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to UKC Videos)
>
> Watching MLW (who let's face it isn't bad) struggling up it like that puts into perspective how bloody good Lynn Hill was (surely the best climber ever?). There's a video of her on the internet somewhere doing it 20+ years ago (first female ascent, I think), looking like silk.
>
> jcm

1998...14 years ago.....was Lynn ascent.

...Lynn top roped it first before soloing it with pads, did Mina top rope it first?

You know what people say about 'style' of ascent.....especially you ; o )

Michael Ryan 13 Nov 2012

ear we go....

youtube.com/watch?v=R8zg2n_OIuQ&
 Arms Cliff 13 Nov 2012
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Hmmmm as impressive of the video of Lynn youtube.com/watch?v=R8zg2n_OIuQ& ) is it is worth noting that this was Mina's third go, and as the uploader said:

"To clarify, this shows Lyn's 1st and 2nd ascent. To be sure she had worked on this MANY times before but had never been able to do it completely. It was not a "Flash" which would mean she had never been on it."
 Michael Ryan 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Arms Cliff:

Lynn headpointed it.
 JayK 13 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC Videos:

Could watch that video all day.
 Goucho 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously)
> [...]
>
> 1998...14 years ago.....was Lynn ascent.
>

...20 years after Ron Kauk made the first ascent, which adds some perspective!

biscuit 13 Nov 2012
In reply to JimmyKay:

Lynn or Mina ?
 JayK 13 Nov 2012
In reply to biscuit:

Mina. Obvs.
 doylo 13 Nov 2012

Of course Mina made it look harder than Lynn. She hadn't toproped it first!
 biscuit 13 Nov 2012
In reply to JimmyKay:

Just checking !
 MJ 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Calder:

Superb. Love the bit at the end - [Looking around quizically, and pointing] "How do I get down?!"

I think she was having a "Three Pebble Slab" moment. Psyche yourself up for the hard bit and then look bewidered at the easy slab finish...
davo 14 Nov 2012
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to Calder)
>
> Superb. Love the bit at the end - [Looking around quizically, and pointing] "How do I get down?!"
>
> I think she was having a "Three Pebble Slab" moment. Psyche yourself up for the hard bit and then look bewidered at the easy slab finish...

It's actually a bit tricky getting off the columbia boulder. If I remember rightly it involves some back and footing in between the boulder and a tree.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...