UKC

Ascenders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TrevorWells 16 Nov 2012
Going winter climbing later this year. Looking at ascenders.

Do you get two or just one? If one strongest or weakest hand?

Never used before, so no idea.

Ta
 CurlyStevo 16 Nov 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:
Why are you buying one for winter climbing are you going to the alps?
OP TrevorWells 16 Nov 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Going to the Rockies. I should have said ice climbing.
 Mr. Lee 16 Nov 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:

I've not climbed in the rockies but would prussics not be enough? If you just need something to get you up a rope in an unexpected incident then they will be enough. I have only used things like Jumars on fixed rope climbing. The jumar I own is only suitable for 10mm+ rope thickness. Generally half ropes are better for ice climbing but you can prussik any rope thickness.
 TobyA 16 Nov 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:
> I should have said ice climbing.

So what do you need ascenders for? You're hardly ice climbing if you're jugging a rope. If you really need to climb a rope, then prussiks work fine, whilst weighing and costing much less.
OP TrevorWells 16 Nov 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Its on the kit list the Alpine Club of Canada have sent me. I have emailed back for a bit of advice just decided to ask on here. They do not state one or two. Just Ascender as required.

My assumption is they are pretty knowledgeable!
 xplorer 16 Nov 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:

There's possibly fixed lines on the walk ins to certain routes maybe.

I'd go for carrying prussiks as normal but taking one petzl ascension or the black diamond version
In reply to TrevorWells: I can't answer your question explicitly in terms of what them mean on the kit list but I do have a couple of new, un-used Petzl Right-hand Ascenders for sale for £27 (see http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=522325 ) or, if you are just after an emergency asceneders I've also got some unused Petzl Tiblocs I'd be happy to sell.
OP TrevorWells 17 Nov 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:

Cheers Gents. Prussiks are on the list and ascenders, so i was after advice on ascenders.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...