UKC

Winter trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cap'nChino 06 Dec 2012
What trousers do you wear for winter walking and or ice climbing? Mine are old and ripped so want to replace them. Not sure if I should go insulated, full water proof, jeans or what.

So what do you wear and why please?
 gammarus 06 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

Paramo Cascada - windproof, waterproof, warm, quick to dry - what more do you want?
cap'nChino 06 Dec 2012
In reply to gammarus:
> (In reply to cap'nChino)
>
> what more do you want?

Half the price

They look like a good choice.
 Oceanic 06 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

Alpine Guide Pants by Extreme Outdoor Clothing. In bad weather I add a pair of Brynje windproof longjohns. I carry light overtrousers, but I have never had to put them on.

http://www.ebolcastle.co.uk/extremecc/index1024.htm

http://www.brynje-shop.com/super-thermo-c12
 Ramblin dave 06 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:
I was about to start a similar thread myself - I was wondering if there's anything smarter to wear than my usual craghoppers kiwis and overtrousers. I guess the question is whether you want something not too heavy that you can wear with overtrousers if it gets properly miserable or something more-or-less waterproof so you can leave the overtrews at home.
 davy_boy 06 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino: softshell trousers have got 3 pairs now cant see me using anything else for winter. favourite pair are norrona svalbard flex lots of pockets lace hook to stop them riding up in snow plenty of adjustment round the ankle and even work great with ski boots my other pairs are not as technical but seem to be indestructible so far.
 KellyKettle 06 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino: Buffalo HA sallopettes, or Some ancient Mountain Eqipment softshell pants, possibly i'd wear thermals and goretex in wet slushy conditions.
 neuromancer 07 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

Decathlon Bionnassay Mountaineering Trousers
 Sharp 07 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino: Cascada's are undoubtedly a comfy material but incredibly baggy and if you've ripped your old ones you'll rip those easier. You'll look like Mr T though so it depends if that's up your street or not. I'd avoid the tank top if it's really cold.

I like the jeans idea, although you'll make it too easy for the tabloid headlines if you ever get rescued.

I've worn marmot w/proof trs for a while and they've been fine, I think I'll go softshell salopette in the future. All the brands are pretty good now-a-days, fit is going to be the only issue.
 Neil Pratt 07 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

Second the Decathlon Simond soft shell pants - zip off internal gaiters, thigh vents, stretch material, all for £39.99. Paid over £150 for the same thing by a gucci brand, and for the life of me I can't see the difference.
In reply to cap'nChino:
> What trousers do you wear for winter walking and or ice climbing?

They are rather different activities, so I think need different approaches.

Softshell, Mammut Champ Pants, when walking. They have a great fit over the top of my boots and the Schoeller Dryskin sheds snow so well that unless it starts raining heavily or is massively deep powder my hardshell trousers will just stay in the rucsac.

However, after being caught out too often, any time I put a harness on, my hardshell trousers (Arc'teryx Beta AR which need replaced) go on first. That will be on top of normal walking trousers or the Champ pants depending on the weather, the walk-in and how long I expect to spend belaying.

Softshells are great kit, but I still think hardshells are pretty much indispensable when actually climbing. There always seems to be too much wet snow or melting ice around to ever be completely comfortable in softshells and that is before you start having to do things like dig bucket seat belays.

When it comes to buying a new hardshell I'm open to either trousers or salopettes. I can see both being imminently workable and I'll probably end up with what actually fits (not many) and isn't extortionate (even fewer).
 ben b 07 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Good point re the wet arse. The patagonia mixed guide pants are the kind of thing that might help with this but I can't help think that I'd still carry the hard shells too, due to lack of confidence in managing without. So ultimately, no great benefit (apart from a it of faff).

b
Shearwater 07 Dec 2012
Lightweight stretchy softshell trews FTW. Take a pair of waterproof overtrousers for nasty weather and perhaps wear some thermals underneath if it is likely to be baltic, and you'll be good to go. Internal snow gaiters are a bonus.

I can see some Vapour Rise pants working nicely, but having never tried a pair on myself I don't know quite how dynamic you can be in em... stretchy softshell wouldn't have that problem.

Older Paramo stuff often gets sold second hand cheaply, cos it lasts for donkey's years. I picked up some Aspira salopettes in good nick for £100 not so long ago; I'm sure you can find cheaper and lighter stuff if you're prepared to be patient and watch ebay/ukc classifieds like a hawk!
 Ron Walker 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Shearwater:
>
>
> I can see some Vapour Rise pants working nicely, but having never tried a pair on myself I don't know quite how dynamic you can be in em... stretchy softshell wouldn't have that problem.
>
> Older Paramo stuff often gets sold second hand cheaply, cos it lasts for donkey's years. I picked up some Aspira salopettes in good nick for £100 not so long ago; I'm sure you can find cheaper and lighter stuff if you're prepared to be patient and watch ebay/ukc classifieds like a hawk!

The VR Guide pants have stretchy panels on the seat and knees. They are surprisingly unrestrictive and comfortable for climbing and skiing in, as long as it's cold and not too wet. I quite like then in cold, calm, frosty days, though you need to tuck your fleece or midlayer top into the waist if it's a tad windy.
IMHO salopettes and especially Paramo salopettes are the best trousers for wild winter weather. The Paramo Aspiro sally's are very comfortable and extremely durable and saves you carrying spare over-trousers.
 GrahamD 07 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

Ron Hills and HH thermals. Overtrousers if you need. Cheap and verstile.
 Ron Walker 07 Dec 2012
In reply to GrahamD:
Yes works extremely well and better than a lot of the more expensive gear. Unfortunately like the Buffalo gear it's not good for your street or fashion cred whatever that means
 ScraggyGoat 07 Dec 2012
When I was a yoof with a high metabolic rate rons x2 and hard trews did the job. Now I alternate between a) old polartec 200 (when its dry), letting the breeze cut through on the walk-in, thus keeping my legs cool before putting on hard trousers for climbing, assuming that spindrift is minimal b) power-stretch and hard trousers if warmer and more windy/damp/spindrift, and c) Paramo sallies for cold and gnarly, or variable.

I really cannae see the point of fancy softshell. Thought process on weather turning 'not that bad/ it will pass so the softshell will be fine'.........carry on regardless. 'Oh feck' damp to sodden legs, which is fine if you can stay moving. If the route takes longer, progress slows, or others need help and its all stations stop and then your potentially dangerously damp.......
 angry pirate 08 Dec 2012
In reply to ScraggyGoat:
power-stretch and hard trousers if warmer and more windy/damp/spindrift, and Paramo sallies for cold and gnarly, or variable.
>
> I really cannae see the point of fancy softshell...

+1 on that.
I use a similar system. If I'm out for a fast moving bimble I what ps bottoms and carry paramo kecks in my pack. If I'm climbing then its paramo aspira trousers all the way. Can chuck Ron hills or powerstretch underneath if it's Baltic.

climber34neil 08 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino: Sherpa softshell fleece lined for everything in winter, they are probably the best softshell pants I have used, hard shell on top if its lashing down etc
 Fiskavaig 08 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino: Helly long johns under Ron hills for everythig, untill it gets realy cold and wet and windy, then pull on my Berghaus Extrem shells.
 chris.d.w 08 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

Outdoor Research Cirque pants! Warm and have crampon patches and a built in gaiter!
 Ramblin dave 08 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:
Now looking at:
Rab VR Trail Pants
or
Rab Sawtooth

the idea being to use them pretty much as a slightly more wind / water resistant substitute for the standard craghoppers kiwis that I normally wear in winter. And wear thermals underneath or overtrousers over the top if it's too cold.

What's wrong with this idea?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...