UKC

replacement picks for quark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben.W 13 Dec 2012
Does anyone know if the new style picks for the quarks fit the old style axes?
Basically can they be retro-fitted?
cheers,
ben
 JSTaylor 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben.W: This seems to imply no...
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Ice-Axes/Ic...

But they still have stock of cascade picks for old quarks.
 Cameron94 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben.W: It's disagreed upon by loads of people but some sau yes. Cold thistle blog says they fit fine.
needvert 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben.W:

I know the old style don't fit the new...

Consequently I have a spare set of dry old style quark picks, I should probably sell em.
OP Ben.W 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben.W:

cheers all. Just looking at selling my old quarks but I'd be shortchanging someone if you couldn't get new picks for them anymore.

ben
 WILLS 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben.W: why bother just buy some spares here and flog them with the used picks and the new ones
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Ice-Axes/Ic...

The new picks do fit but. If you want to use your hammer or adze your going to have to have some engineering know how. Failing that just use washers to space out the back end or do what the French did and cut off the surplus material at the back of the head. Looks odd and balance takes a little bit to adjust to but I've seen a few people over there with them before the nomic came out.
 Webster 14 Dec 2012
In reply to needvert: What state are your quad picks in? (i assume by "dry" you mean the quad picks)
 stuart58 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Ben.W: how much u looking for
OP Ben.W 14 Dec 2012
In reply to stuart58:

I was hoping for maybe £180 complete with clipper leashes and new (ish) picks?? I going going to see if anyone local wants them first but i'll let you know otherwise.

Ben
needvert 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Webster:

Brand new, one is opened and has a bit of the black finish rubbed off from trying to fit it to a new quark. They're the quad 4mm ones.

Would require international postage though...No idea what that's worth.
 duchessofmalfi 17 Dec 2012
In the same boat - got this reply from Petzl:

----------------------
The old style picks are still available to purchase. The product codes are as follows;

Cascade (b rated)-68367
Quad (T rated)-U91000

We are also trying to secure a small stock of these products for the future.

The new picks for the new Quark are not compatible with the old Quark. The new picks will move in the head of the old tool when loaded and can cause irreparable damage to the axe head. Petzl do not authorise the use of new style picks in old style Quarks.

-----------------------

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...