UKC

Easy alpine routes around Lauterbrunnen (winter)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 higher.alpine 22 Dec 2012
A friend is based in Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland this WINTER and I'm looking at doing some easy high summits (upto AD+) with him, or low grade ice routes. We have the option of using snowshoes for approach, if one is involved. Will even consider some difficult hikes with beaut views.

I'd be greateful if anyone has any ideas for routes worth doing in winter in a day or using huts (don't have bivvy gear or Car) based near this area, and the appropriate guidebooks etc?
fcy5 22 Dec 2012
In reply to higher.alpine:
The Eiger West Flank is an option. Not really hard but so long, AD I think. If you find good conditions you can climb it in 6-7 hours.
You can sleep in Kleine Scheidegg.
OP higher.alpine 22 Dec 2012
In reply to fcy5: thanks, I'm going to look into it, though the SE Flank looks like a complicated meandering route. 6-7 hrs up and down?

Mönch SE ridge looks very doable in a day, despite the costs involved in getting up there.

I've seen some pics of the summit arete on Mönch, lookes perhaps easier in full winter condition? In the summer it looks very thin and sharp, but it winter it's a bit more rounded. I've also heard it's climbable when it's plastered, as long as the snow conditions are good.

Looking for first hand info from people who have climbed the Mönch in winter
 rif 23 Dec 2012
In reply to higher.alpine:
The Jungfrau normal route is another possibility if you can afford the train. It's done frequently in the ski touring season and was no more than PD when I did it one April or May. Final slope was icy but had belay posts at intervals.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...