UKC

Women trad climbers needed!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sally Hudson 09 Jan 2013
My degree research project is looking at why there are so few female ice climbers. Please help by filling in this short survey.
http://tolu.na/ShD1js
Thanks!
 Blue Straggler 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson:

You might get more responses with a thread title indicating that you are after ice climbers
 LastBoyScout 09 Jan 2013

Is it a problem that there are so few?
 winhill 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Sally Hudson)
>
> You might get more responses with a thread title indicating that you are after ice climbers

But that might only attract ice climbers. Shirley she wants to know why women who do the usual climby stuff don't then progress to ice climbing? Whereas for their male counterparts trad climbing is a gateway activity that leads to ice climbing and ultimately, if untreated, dry tooling.
 trish1968 09 Jan 2013

Done
In reply to winhill:

Good point (made clearer by my actually doing Sally's survey)
Apologies Sally.
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> But that might only attract ice climbers. Shirley she wants to know why women who do the usual climby stuff don't then progress to ice climbing? Whereas for their male counterparts trad climbing is a gateway activity that leads to ice climbing and ultimately, if untreated, dry tooling.

Mind you the survey is also for male climbers, so this thread is in any case biasing things as the thread title may only attract women...hmm

arctic_jen 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson: Done. You might want to take down the other thread with the wrong link at the top, because while it is fascinating to have a poke around & see what other people have said, its not the normal experience on an 'anonymous' survey! Good luck with your research.
 Bulls Crack 09 Jan 2013
> My degree research project is looking at why there are so few female ice climbers.

Are there?

ie do you have the initial data to say there are few?
 hazeysunshine 09 Jan 2013
done
 Milesy 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> ie do you have the initial data to say there are few?

It is possible to base a study on observations as well.

But I agree that the questionaire needs to be targetting to both genders in order that the sample data contains enough male and female climber to compare against. While there are in general less women climbers than men, you need to compare men progressing from rock into winter against women progressing from rock into winter to be able to make any real analysis.

If you question 50 women climbers and 20% of them progress into winter - what does that mean in relation to everyone else? it might be only 20% of men progress into winter as well but as there is a larger male population in rock climbing (only in my observations) then there would be a larger population of male winter climbers.
 SonyaD 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson: Done
 cat88 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Sally Hudson: done
 sarahlizzy 10 Jan 2013

Done!
 sarahlizzy 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Personal anecdote. I trad lead (up to about HS/VS). Ice climbing doesn't attract me. I regard it as more risk than I am comfortable with.
 tlm 10 Jan 2013
In reply to winhill:

> But that might only attract ice climbers. Shirley she wants to know why women who do the usual climby stuff don't then progress to ice climbing? Whereas for their male counterparts trad climbing is a gateway activity that leads to ice climbing and ultimately, if untreated, dry tooling.

That isn't quite right is it? I know loads of men who have trad climbed for years but don't ice climb.

climbingronnie 10 Jan 2013

Done. But sorry, I ice climb too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...