UKC

Lochnagar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mowglee 10 Feb 2013
Has anyone climbed any of the easier gullys on Lochnagar this weekend?
Cheers,
 Lamb 10 Feb 2013
In reply to Mowglee: there were some boys heading for the Blackspout and Raeburns. But they would have been bogging, this was on Saturday. The snowpack was like porridge, not nice at all, lots of hinging cornices. Wait for the refreeze and things will be good. Didny bother plodding into the main corrie ourselves on Saturday, just the Cathedral, but the corrie is very white and the likes of Polyphemus and Douglas Gibson should be good once it freezes again.
 Scomuir 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Lamb:
This will be you then? http://www.scomuir.com/scoweb/pictures/images/lochnagar_090213_9.JPG

I went up Central Gully, and there was a massive cornice on the NW aspect. It was frozen solid http://www.scomuir.com/scoweb/pictures/images/lochnagar_090213_1.JPG . My guess is that there could be something similar on Raeburns, as it faces the same direction.

CacCarnBeag 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Scomuir: Cool. Yeh thats us. I was belaying. Nice pic, That must have been you skiing something over left of sunset buttress area. A warm day...
 Scomuir 11 Feb 2013
In reply to CacCarnBeag:
Wasn't great from a skiing point of view either (as you probably heard due to the scraping sounds). The snow was either quite firm, or a bit soggy. I didn't try very hard, and did that easy runnel first, then central gully, then went home. Was a nice glide down from the col though.
 Lamb 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Scomuir: Aye that's is, good pic, cheers, would it be possible to get the picture file off of you? The picture is me mid swim up that final wee snow field - it was by far the crux of the day! Not pleasant!
 Parkie 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Mowglee:
Climbed Raeburn's on Saturday - hard work kicking steps in snow but good ice on two steep sections. Cornice escapable on left hard to TB ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...