UKC

A Crying Shame - huge book collection up for auction

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BlownAway 11 Feb 2013
Hi

I was just noticed that the vast collection of climbing, mountaineering, skiing and travel books and other items from Geoff Milburn's personal library are finally going to go under the hammer in April.

This really is a crying shame; there's no other collection like this probably in the world. Whichever room you went into in Geoff's house, he'd open a drawer or look into a cupboard and it would be crammed with books, photographs, postcards.

Really the collection should have been snapped up by the BMC as a heritage collection, rather than spending ridiculous amounts of money on bolts (IMHO).

Phil

DNS 11 Feb 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

If anyone has not seen the full set of Fell and Rock journals with an opening bid of £100, they would be a bargain.
OP BlownAway 11 Feb 2013
In reply to DNS: No, that's the wrong auction! The one you're referring to is in aid of Kendal MRT.

Geoff's will be much larger than that! Last word was that there were 3 van loads and almost 5 tonnes of material.

Phil
 nbonnett 11 Feb 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

U got a downer on bolts after all these years -
 Jonathan Emett 11 Feb 2013
In reply to BlownAway:
I don't read climbing books, but I do climb bolted routes. I think the BMC's priorities are correct (IMHO)
OP BlownAway 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Jonathan Emett:
> (In reply to Phil Kelly)
> I don't read climbing books, but I do climb bolted routes. I think the BMC's priorities are correct (IMHO)

How do you know which bolted routes to climb?
OP BlownAway 11 Feb 2013
In reply to nbonnett:
>
> U got a downer on bolts after all these years -

It's only recently that bolts have been developed that are strong enough Nige.
In reply to BlownAway: What the hell would the BMC do with 5 tonnes of books? start a library? I don't know about you but I don't live in Didsbury!
In reply to BlownAway:
Are you saying this collection is all guidebooks? Unlikely to be any in the collection that are still useful, current and hence worth saving (ignoring any perceived historic interest)

In answer to your question, of course I use the most up-to-date guidebook available, which is more than likely in print.
 Enty 11 Feb 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

Don't bite Phil

E
OP BlownAway 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Enty:
>
> Don't bite Phil
>
> E

Pearls before swine, Ent... Pearls before swine.
 Dave Garnett 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Jonathan Emett:
> Unlikely to be any in the collection that are still useful, current and hence worth saving (ignoring any perceived historic interest)
>

You can't possibly be the philistine you pretend to be. Surely?

In reply to Dave Garnett:
Well alright, I am putting it on a bit. Someone put me in a bad mood. But really - the BMC should buy someone's book collection rather than replace worn out bolts?
In reply to Dave Garnett:
> (In reply to Jonathan Emett)
> [...]
>
> You can't possibly be the philistine you pretend to be. Surely?

Good grief, Dave, why ever not? There's plenty of tw*ts in the world. Surely you've noticed?

jcm

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 11 Feb 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

And where do you suppose the BMC would have obtained the funds to secure the collection, Phil, because diverting the monies earmarked for bolt replacement would scarcely have paid for the auction catalogue and the transport to shift the Geoff’s collection to the auction house.

I agree that it would have been laudable to have kept the collection intact, but I think it is equally laudable that Geoff wants to sell the collection now, to fund the trips to the far flung places which he wants to visit whilst he still can.

Neil
Wiley Coyote2 11 Feb 2013
In reply to BlownAway:
Just a thought to maybe cheer you up.
Colections are dynamic things and it is only by existing collections being broken up that new collections begin or expand. Plus the dispersal of the collection may actually mean more of the books being read.
I've actually been looking at my own collection of climbing/outdoors books lately and feeling a bit guilty. There are the thick end of 1,000 books, most of which have not been opened since the day they went on the shelf. I can't help wondering if they would be put to better use if I sold them to have a bit more cash for mindless enjoyment, a bit more space in the house and, not least, the books being read by someone who would appreciate them instead of my just hoarding them.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

> I've actually been looking at my own collection of climbing/outdoors books lately and feeling a bit guilty. There are the thick end of 1,000 books, most of which have not been opened since the day they went on the shelf....

Hang on a second Wiley. Are you actually me....?

Neil

Wiley Coyote2 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Neil Foster:
> (In reply to Wiley Coyote)
>
> [...]
>
> Hang on a second Wiley. Are you actually me....?

Sadly no, Neil. If I was you I'd be a bloody sight better climber than I am, not to mention considerably lighter than I am too.

lex 12 Feb 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

Out of interest, where and when are they up for auction, and is the catalougue available on-line?

Lex
 jimtitt 12 Feb 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

For this purpose the Mountain Heritige Trust exists, partially funded of course by the BMC.
http://www.mountain-heritage.org/
OP BlownAway 12 Feb 2013
In reply to jimtitt:
>
> For this purpose the Mountain Heritige Trust exists, partially funded of course by the BMC.
> http://www.mountain-heritage.org/

I don't think buying collections is part of the MHT's remit, and would still require funding.
BPT@work 12 Feb 2013
In reply to lex:
>
> Out of interest, where and when are they up for auction, and is the catalougue available on-line?
>
> Lex

+1
 Jim Walton 12 Feb 2013
In reply to BPT@work: And another who want to know where the list is.
 Postmanpat 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Lemony:
> (In reply to Jim Walton) http://www.dominic-winter.co.uk/

Can't find it on that page. What should one search for?

Lemony 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Postmanpat: Sorry, it's under upcoming sales. I don't think there's a catalogue yet, I was just pointing in the direction of the sale.
 TM_Horton 13 Feb 2013
In reply to BlownAway:
mail order loans by the BMC online catalogue of books... 2 weak loans at £2-3 would probably be a good investment if there is any hard to find/ out of print editions (I'm sure there is) !!!

and for those that doubt the idea have you ever bought a journal ? or paid to read online ? potentially lucrative business if you ask me

Tom
 John H Bull 13 Feb 2013
In reply to BlownAway:
> Whichever room you went into in Geoff's house, he'd open a drawer or look into a cupboard and it would be crammed with books, photographs, postcards.

Hmm, even the bathroom? Old mags are surely too shiny rather than absorbent?

But seriously...I have it on good authority that the BMC has plenty of money to spend at the moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...