UKC

Classic films you have never watched.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
estivoautumnal 21 Feb 2013
From another thread.. I have never watched

Watership Down
ET
Braveheart.
In reply to estivoautumnal: Star Wars; not watched any of them, don't intend to.

T.
 Bossys gran 21 Feb 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: Bladerunner..(takes cover)
In reply to estivoautumnal: Never watched The Third Man, either. I keep looking for the first two films in what I thought was a trilogy but can't find them...

T.
 Tom Valentine 21 Feb 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal:

Citizen Kane.

Watched Easy Rider last week for first time and was a bit disappointed.
Removed User 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> (In reply to estivoautumnal)
>
> Citizen Kane.
>

Ditto.

It's a Wonderful Life

Citizen Cane I thought was a tad over-rated.
 LaMentalist 21 Feb 2013

Citizen Kane , Rear Window , Its a wonderful life , Gone with the wind .

Non of the Harry Potter or Lordy of the Ring bits .

American Beauty , Saving Private Ryan , A Clockwork Orange , Texas Chainsaw massacre ( any ) , To Kill a Mockingbird , Pans Labyrinth , Requiem for a dream , Jacobs Ladder .

Metropolis , Pirahna 3D & the latest Jackass 3D ;0) for starters cue major b0llocking from Blue Straggler . . . squwauk ............... !
 ripper 21 Feb 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: somehow i've managed to avoid seeing The Great Escape - and yes me too for Citizen Kane. None of the Three Colours.
In reply to LaMentalist:
have you ever seen any films?
In reply to LaMentalist:

You are missing a trick with pans Labyrinth and Rear window. Lord of the rings and harry potter are shite, ok for kids or the mentally handicapped, or whatever pc label they now have.
 Jon Stewart 21 Feb 2013
>
> Citizen Kane.

Me neither. I get the impression it's one for film-makers to go on and on about, rather than actually enjoyable.

> Watched Easy Rider last week for first time and was a bit disappointed.

Never seen it. Less likely to now.

I've never seen Casablanca. Dunno if I'd like it or not really.

It's A Wonderful Life is worth watching but it's pretty cheesy! But I think pretty much anything with Jimmy Stewart is very watchable.

Andy Hardy 21 Feb 2013
withnail & I
Next time it's on council telly, I'll record it
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Watch Casablanca. please.
 LaMentalist 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Hannah S:
> (In reply to LaMentalist)
> have you ever seen any films?

I saw The Wizard of Oz or whatever its called in 1976 I think , does that count ? Oh and Black Emanuelle plus Taxi Driver then Southern Comfort because my babysitter got me in a headlock & forced me to watch it I was only 10 years old at the time <sob> , nearly forgot my Dad made me watch Papillon when I was young as well because thats where he was going to send me if I didn't behave , no I'm not joking either ..........

Jon Stewart 21 Feb 2013

OK, will do. Got a Lovefilm download thing, should be one of the 30 or so movies they have on there.
 MJ 21 Feb 2013

Not sure if they could be described as classic, but I've never seen a 'James Bond' film.
 DaveHK 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Tom V)
> [...]
> Citizen Kane
> Me neither. I get the impression it's one for film-makers to go on and on about, rather than actually enjoyable.

That was the impression I was left with after watching it. Perhaps a technical / stylistic landmark but not that engaging.
 DaveHK 21 Feb 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:
> withnail & I
> Next time it's on council telly, I'll record it

Withnail and I is all about the context you see it in. I saw it in my early 20s in university halls of residence with a large bottle of cheap cider and so it will forever have a place in my heart.
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Tom V)
> [...]
>
> Me neither. I get the impression it's one for film-makers to go on and on about, rather than actually enjoyable.

I'd heard that, but watched it last year and really liked it (and I'm not usually given to liking things on the basis of technical merit over

> It's A Wonderful Life is worth watching but it's pretty cheesy! But I think pretty much anything with Jimmy Stewart is very watchable.

Never seen It's A Wonderful Life either. Or Gremlins. Or any Rocky film

My girlfriend's with you about Jimmy Stewart though.
 ripper 21 Feb 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: t's a Wonderful Life is an interesting one - look only a little way beneath the surface and you can see a much darker and more tragic story lurking under the veneer of feelgood cheese - a story of a man forced to relinquish his dreams, to bury all his hopes and ambitions so deep they almost kill him, and then at the moment of potential release to be persuaded to accept that his life will be one long burden...
 Clarence 21 Feb 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
> Withnail and I is all about the context you see it in. I saw it in my early 20s in university halls of residence with a large bottle of cheap cider and so it will forever have a place in my heart.

Ditto, I was in the Earnshaw Hall TV room with a load of mates from SCUM and a bag of cans.

I have never seen:

Braveheart, Casablanca, any Harry Potter other than the first, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, 2001, any westerns apart from High Plains Drifter, Saving Private Ryan, Avatar and many, many more...
In reply to Clarence:

Of those, Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001 and Saving Private Ryan are more or less essential viewing - but (except for Casablanca perhaps) only on the big screen, in a decent cinema.
Jim C 21 Feb 2013
In reply to MJ:
From my younger days SHE with Ursula Andress, Zulu and Planet of the apes, stick in my mind, never been into JB films, I have seen one the last one it was just ok, not to my taste.

Ealing comedies like Kind Hearts and Coronets are great on a wet Saturday afternoon. I prefer gritty reality to glossy escapisim. I don't like horror or very violent films much, so no I have not seen the chainsaw massacre , and similar genre films. ( that is my daughter's idea of a good night, not mine)

Give me Laurel & Hardy or Charlie Chaplin, any day, reminds me of Christmas parties in the 1960's with Brillcream in my unruly hair( long gone) wearing hand knitted cardigans and short trousers, and laughing at utter nonesense .
 JJL 21 Feb 2013

> ok for kids or the mentally handicapped, or whatever pc label they now have.

wow
 Blue Straggler 21 Feb 2013
Ditto except I've actually studiously avoided Easy Rider whereas Kane is just one of those that I never got around to. There's loads more.
andrew breckill 21 Feb 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: Taxi Driver, escape from new york, scar face, the godfather.

The Seventh Seal.

I don't think I've seen a Kurosawa film aside from Yojimbo and possibly Sanjuro.
My only Fellini is La Dolce Vita
My only Bertolucci is The Sheltering Sky, not even one of his "classics" (though I rather liked it)
The Long Good Friday
Olivier's Henry V
Les Enfants du Paradis

etc
 dek 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
I avoided ER for years, and missed one of Jacks best films!
In reply to dek:

Now that I think I understand Dennis Hopper a bit more than I did in my youth, I think I might get a better appreciation of the film.
 Jon Stewart 21 Feb 2013
In reply to andrew breckill:

I found The Godfather amazingly boring. The acting is a bit like theatre acting. The storytelling felt to me like a shopping list of events. None of it felt remotely real, the whole thing just felt like a painfully drawn out series of cliches. (Granted, since it's a classic, I appreciate it may be the origin of many of those cliches, but that doesn't make it any less dreary, or any shorter).

If you haven't seen it, you probably don't like these kind of films particularly and it follows from there that 5 or 6 hours (I actually think it might be longer than that*) of it would bore the sh!ts out of you, just like it did me.

Not a popular point of view. I didn't like Apocalypse Now either. Boring.

*I'm just talking about the first one. I didn't get any further.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Sounds like you don't like Coppola

FWIW I agree that a lot of the acting in The Godfather is theatrical, especially Brando's Oscar-winning turn. I like the films, and I have seen The Godfather several times, and I know that 40 years of parody and influence can colour one's perception so I try to see it objectively (something I am good at - I am forgiving with films!) and Brando still comes off as a bit theatrical and out of place. Caan and Pacino rule though! But I totally understand someone not being into it.
 ripper 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: Agree - I absolutely love the Godfather (I and II anyway) and the acting of Caan (especially), Pacino (so good when he's in 'quiet' rather than 'scenery-chewing' mode) and also John Cazale is excellent. Really good dark, moody cinematography too - and that closing scene when Diane Keaton is pushed out of Pacino's office as he's acknowledged as the new Don is superb.
 Blue Straggler 22 Feb 2013
In reply to ripper:

Oops I forgot Cazale...but then that's cos it's in Part II that he's REALLY memorable. Poor guy, so often forgotten when we talk about great actors. And a horrible way to die (Cazale, not Fredo Corleone)
 flour 22 Feb 2013
In reply to JJL:
>
>
> [...]
>
> wow

+1. To estivoautumnal . Why do you think it is ok to be so offensive ?
 Pero 22 Feb 2013

Yankee Doodle Dandy (with James Cagney)
 Ava Adore 22 Feb 2013

Saving Private Ryan
Pulp Fiction

Not sure if these count as "classics" but they're films people think I should have seen. Started to watch both. Got bored part way through.
 Blue Straggler 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

Saving Private Ryan is not the kind of "essential classic" that (say) The Third Man is. Pulp Fiction probably is.
 John Lewis 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: Got to say it!

Brief Encounter!
 John Lewis 22 Feb 2013

Start Wars! believe it or not, maybe I should be on a radio series!
 Ava Adore 22 Feb 2013
In reply to John Lewis:

Oh, I meant to lend you that. Will try to remember to put in rucksack.
 ripper 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: you got bored watching Pulp Fiction??!
erm, don't take this the wrong way, but have you been tested for ADD?
x
 Tom Valentine 22 Feb 2013
In reply to John Lewis:

One of the many films which introduced me to a classical composer (Rachmaninov, with a little help from Eric Carmen).
 Ava Adore 23 Feb 2013
In reply to ripper:

Maybe "bored" was the wrong word. I don't like films with excessive unnecessary violence - or what I interpret to be excessive unnecessary violence. I didn't find anything in PF to recommend it even glossing over the violence so stopped watching.
 stevieb 23 Feb 2013
I've not seen any of the Scorsese classics - Taxi Driver, Mean Streets, Goodfellas, Raging Bull.
Should I?
I loved Godfather 1 and 2 but think Tarantino is a bit too stylised and overly cool, if that helps set my tastes.
 Al Evans 23 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Tom V)
> Ditto except I've actually studiously avoided Easy Rider whereas Kane is just one of those that I never got around to. There's loads more.

Noooooooo! You must watch Easy Rider, its essential for a cinema buff.
 Al Evans 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans: I'm amazed no one on here has mentioned 'The Sound of Music' a truly underated film, or come to that South Pacific, Cabaret, Oklahoma and all those other classic musical films. Not forgetting of course 'The Blues Brothers'.
 Ava Adore 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Clearly everyone's watched 'em all
 Alan Taylor 23 Feb 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: She wore a yellow ribbon , Titanic
 ripper 23 Feb 2013
In reply to stevieb:
> I've not seen any of the Scorsese classics - Taxi Driver, Mean Streets, Goodfellas, Raging Bull.
> Should I?
>

YES!
 Tom Valentine 23 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

And West Side Story.
 Ava Adore 23 Feb 2013
In reply to stevieb:

No you shouldn't. Watch the films that appeal to you.
 omerta 23 Feb 2013

All of the Star Wars ones
All of the Star Trek ones
All of the Harry Potter ones
 kwoods 23 Feb 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: Being a musician - Spinal Tap
 Gudrun 24 Feb 2013

To whoever it was who has never seen To kill a mockingbird you are missing a absolute classic indeed,i love the wee character Scout in this movie and how she likes a good fight.
Supposedly classic films i wish i had never watched would include all and i mean ALL gangster movies invlving a Pacino,De niro,whats the name of that wee annoying guy and any other movies glorifying mafia scum.

Never seen The third man either though i love Orson Welles.
 Blue Straggler 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

The fact that he's posted on this thread, acknowledged these films and named them suggests that in some small way, they DO appeal to him

I have never seen Mean Streets.
In reply to GudrunEnsslin:
>
>
> Never seen The third man either though i love Orson Welles.

I don't think you'd like it - it kind of glorifies racketeering scum

In reply to Ava Adore:
> I don't like films with excessive unnecessary violence

I don't tend to like films with excessive unnecessary song-and-dance numbers
 Tom Valentine 24 Feb 2013
In reply to GudrunEnsslin:
>
> ALL gangster movies invlving a Pacino,De niro,whats the name of that wee annoying guy

Joe Pesce

(though Joe Dolce is pretty annoying too)

Ava Adore 24 Feb 2013

Me neither
In reply to Ava Adore:

We probably have different definitions of "excessive" and "unnecessary" in that context
Or do you mean you don't like film musicals, only stage ones?
 Clarence 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Al Evans) I'm amazed no one on here has mentioned 'The Sound of Music' a truly underated film, or come to that South Pacific, Cabaret, Oklahoma and all those other classic musical films.

I mentioned it. I nearly went to see the sing along version but half way through planning a nun/nazi hybrid costume I had one of those "just what the f*ck do you think you are doing?" moments. Musicals really boil my urine so I tend to avoid them all, having played the music from so many of them during my brass band years.
 Kemics 25 Feb 2013

Not seen 12 angry men ... which I only keep noticing as it's like 5 on the IMDB greatest 250 movies.

For those who havn't watched Casablanca. Do it. Now. I'd say if you could only watch one movie in your whole life it should be Casablanca.

There's no way anyone is so busy this week, they cant spare 1 and a bit hours somewhere.
ice.solo 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Kemics:
>
>
> For those who havn't watched Casablanca. Do it. Now. I'd say if you could only watch one movie in your whole life it should be Casablanca.
>
could not agree more. best movie ever made, narrowly beating apocalypse now due to its unaustintasciousness.

have seen it a dozen tmes and look forward to seeing it a dozen more. still so much i realize i havent noticed times before. the complexity of the characters is so gentle yet profound, and the implications of the greater plot scenario likewise.

70(!!!) years on and it still fresh as a daisy.
myth 25 Feb 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: Pretty much all of the above bar Star wars, Braveheart and 12 Angry Men.
 graeme jackson 25 Feb 2013
never seen the sound of music or the wizard of oz.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...