UKC

Birmingham to Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gritstone ryan 27 Feb 2013
Help!! My 2 mates and I are looking for help in the best ways to get to newsy hopefully rjuken. is it easier to fly or drive? And what is the best choice of accomadation? We normally camp but think it could be to cold. we are on a budget and looking on going at the end of march. Any helpadvice would be appreciated.
 Sparrowmonkey 27 Feb 2013
In reply to gritstone ryan:

you might want to check march isn't to late in the season?!

We recently flew with Norwgian airlines, this was the cheapest at the time and was about £100 each then we pre booked a hire car and drove oslo to rujkan. You will have to drive or get a bus. We then stayed at http://www.rjukanhytte.com

Flying with Norwegian air we had 20kg baggage and 10kg hold allowance but for an extra few quid I would consider paying for extra baggage to take food from home and split the cost between you, included teabags and a flask of tea etc. Food is mega expensive even in the supermarket. I took a massive bag of porridge for 4 of us for breakfast as it was the best idea I think I had! We also ate together rather than individually which kept the cost down.

The accom was pretty good but showers and water where available from a seperate building. Showers required tokens and for how much it cost us to 10nok per person to shower each day.

hope some of this helps
Slugain Howff 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Sparrowmonkey:

A loaf of good bread and a lump of cheese here in Norway costs pretty much the same as it does in a supermarket in the UK.....as does a teabag!!!

S
Ted1212 27 Feb 2013
In reply to gritstone ryan: Hi Ryan, I think conditions at the end of march are unlikely to be good (although there is a course operating 22 march--). I have just come back from rjukan. I will be going out again with my son, probably 11 march for a few days if you fancied join ing forces to hire a car. Ted Best to text 07766456528.
We will be flying with Ryanair to Torp.
You definitely need a car. We may be staying at the Climb-inn which does allow people to camp in the garden and then warm up inside.Rather you than me!
In reply to Slugain Howff: We didn't find that at the Kiwi in Rjukan. We bought what we felt were bare essentials(rice, meat, noodles bread and jam etc) must have spent over £150 for the week for the two of us.
In reply to Slugain Howff:
> (In reply to Sparrowmonkey)
>
> A loaf of good bread and a lump of cheese here in Norway costs pretty much the same as it does in a supermarket in the UK.....as does a teabag!!!
>
> S

That's not what we found at all last summer in Lofoten.

A loaf of bread (admittedly very nice bread) was £3-4 and a wedge of brie was a similar price. And that was the cheapest lunch option I could find...
In reply to gritstone ryan: I can recommend the Climb Inn massively. Really nice place, super clean, friendly, all the facilities ( great kitchen, hot showers included, free drying room and even a workbench for icetool sharpening!) it's quite posh and the backpacker option isn't bad value for the quality of accomodation.

Its got a reputation for being expensive but I'm a right tight arse and I'll be staying there again!
 Sparrowmonkey 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Double Knee Bar: while I didn't stay at climb inn I did spend three days on a course with a them and the climb inn guys are awesome, as a result I would consider staying their to be fair. my friends (who didn't do the course) researched lots of combinations to see what would work out affordable for our budget and I'm sure we would tweak factors of accom and food etc next time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...